I’m not a snob

kasowell2

We have stayed in a few sky suites and I have to say it is a great experience! We’ve only been in a RS through the Panama Canal which was amazing!!  But only because they canceled our cruise on the infinity because of engine issues and gave us 50% credit off our next cruise (which actually was very next cruise )and we used the money to upgrade from the sky suite  to the royal Suite!! Our last cruise should’ve been 2020 Canada which of course got canceled and our 2021 Pacific coastal also canceled!! Both of those we decided to do in Aqua class. But because of Covid and all of our canceled land trips and cruises our next two will be Canada 2022 and South America 2023. We decided both of those will be in a sky suite and of course at much higher price but after the Covid year and some health problems which forced me into retirement early we’re in the mind set  that we only live once !

We do love the retreat lounge and look forward to the majority of our meals in Luminae . And on the first day I also always get the lobster roll but on the first cruise since I went gluten-free I will just ask for double lobster hold the roll !!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kasowell2 said:

This is the most replies I’ve ever gotten. Also the friendliest posting I’ve ever gotten 

Thanks for asking the question - I've learned a lot (which will be super helpful for my first Celebrity cruise).

• Like 1

Luminae can be busy, crowded and hectic the first day with most every suite heading there at Noon. Many people have an extra bag or backpack with them that can be a tripping hazard.

If you are in a Royal Suite+ you can go to a specialty restaurant for free and that is what I would do. Does anyone know what specialties are open for Lunch on Edge on embarkation day? I would expect at least Sushi / Raw on 5. Rooftop Garden Grill would probably be great on a nice day but I don't think it has the water views of The Porch.

40 minutes ago, floatplan said:

Luminae can be busy, crowded and hectic the first day with most every suite heading there at Noon. Many people have an extra bag or backpack with them that can be a tripping hazard.

If you are in a Royal Suite+ you can go to a specialty restaurant for free and that is what I would do. Does anyone know what specialties are open for Lunch on Edge on embarkation day? I would expect at least Sushi / Raw on 5. Rooftop Garden Grill would probably be great on a nice day but I don't think it has the water views of The Porch.

We never waited more than a few minutes for a table in Luminae but all our recent cruises were on millennium class ships, only time we do not do Luminae for lunch is on port days when it’s closed . Do love the royal suite.

40 minutes ago, floatplan said:

No specialty restaurants are open on the Edge on embarkation day.

The only dining venues open are:

Ocean View  Cafe   

Spa Cafe        

Mast Grill           

Le Grand Bistro         

Luminae (Suites only)  

Cosmopolitan (Concierge Only)

1 minute ago, George C said:

We never waited more than a few minutes for a table in Luminae but all our recent cruises were on millennium class ships, only time we do not do Luminae for lunch is on port days when it’s closed . Do love the royal suite.

Same, perhaps 10 minutes tops wait time for Luminae, but so well worth the wait.  On APEX Scandinavia/Russia May 2022 in CS, BEYOND TA, Oct 2022 in PH.  FIRST time in these level suites for us, S3 on EDGE (which we loved) is as close as we’ve come this far.  Do I feel like a snob, NO!  Do I feel like I am going to enjoy the fruits of my many years hard work, YES.  Bye COVID but thanks for showing me what is truly important!!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sdnich said:

We have stayed in a few sky suites and I have to say it is a great experience! We’ve only been in a RS through the Panama Canal which was amazing!!  But only because they canceled our cruise on the infinity because of engine issues and gave us 50% credit off our next cruise (which actually was very next cruise )and we used the money to upgrade from the sky suite  to the royal Suite!! Our last cruise should’ve been 2020 Canada which of course got canceled and our 2021 Pacific coastal also canceled!! Both of those we decided to do in Aqua class. But because of Covid and all of our canceled land trips and cruises our next two will be Canada 2022 and South America 2023. We decided both of those will be in a sky suite and of course at much higher price but after the Covid year and some health problems which forced me into retirement early we’re in the mind set  that we only live once !

We do love the retreat lounge and look forward to the majority of our meals in Luminae . And on the first day I also always get the lobster roll but on the first cruise since I went gluten-free I will just ask for double lobster hold the roll !!

Love how you think, life is short, so live it wide!!  Enjoy your suite life!!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

Same, perhaps 10 minutes tops wait time for Luminae, but so well worth the wait.  On APEX Scandinavia/Russia May 2022 in CS, BEYOND TA, Oct 2022 in PH.  FIRST time in these level suites for us, S3 on EDGE (which we loved) is as close as we’ve come this far.  Do I feel like a snob, NO!  Do I feel like I am going to enjoy the fruits of my many years hard work, YES.  Bye COVID but thanks for showing me what is truly important!!

We are enjoying the fruits of my wife’s hard work , since I have been retired for 7 years , she loves cruises and suites as much as I do . Our last cruise last February was our first royal suite and we have another in a month and 1 day and another in February. We most likely will have to go back to sky suites when she retires.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, floatplan said:

We've also never found Luminae busy for lunch on embarkation day, just a great way to start the cruise for us.  We did once try Sushi on Five that first day, but while the meal was fine we were the ONLY people in the restaurant, which felt odd on a ship filling up with 1000's around us.  

• Like 1

On 5/29/2021 at 11:31 AM, SHIP TRAVELER said:

We have smart phones but I like to go "bagless" on board and the little ship card is easier to "tote" than a smart phone.  We use the visuals in the elevator lobby when we need to check for information.  I am sure we will do the "app" but hate to carry the phone along all the time.  I guess I need to get with the program.

You have time to shop and gift yourself with a phone purse you wear around your neck like a lanyard. Or you can use it cross body. That is what I use during the day and a wristlet at night. 

12 hours ago, Keys Kathy said:

You have time to shop and gift yourself with a phone purse you wear around your neck like a lanyard. Or you can use it cross body. That is what I use during the day and a wristlet at night. 

I think the point was that SHIP TRAVELER, like me doesn't want to carry anything around the ship.  I have small purses that could be used for this purpose too but just like the freedom of carrying nothing.  Thankfully my DH will carry his if we truly need to do so but I don't intend to have it attached to me unless absolutely necessary.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I bought a whole slew of those small purses/Manbags/Murse for gifts and personal use on our last cruise and they are handy……if you are use to carrying such and don’t constantly leave it somewhere!  

den

• Haha 1

Our most recent cruises have been on Silversea but we have just booked a Sky Suite for Alaskan cruise.  This is the first time we have been in a suite on a Celebrity and, after reading the above posts, we are very excited.  Fingers crossed the cruise actually takes place.  

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

I think the point was that SHIP TRAVELER, like me doesn't want to carry anything around the ship.  I have small purses that could be used for this purpose too but just like the freedom of carrying nothing.  Thankfully my DH will carry his if we truly need to do so but I don't intend to have it attached to me unless absolutely necessary.

My DW feels exactly the same way!  She mostly wears clothing with no pockets, truly "resort casual" and she looks elegant.  She refuses to wear a lanyard around her neck or something on her wrist or carry a mini-purse or a fanny pack on her waist.  She is perfectly happy with her SeaPass card which I carry for her in my pants pocket.  Her cell phone remains locked up in the stateroom safe where she won't forget it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Denny01 said:

I’ve proven that Celebrity Lost and Found works!

den

Absolutely! On my last cruise I had to make 2 visits to lost and found. The first was when I left my tablet in the smoking area - it was morning and my caffeine/blood ratios were low - and someone had turned it in. The second time was late on the last night when I noticed my tanzanite tennis bracelet worth $$$$$ had come off my wrist and I had no idea when this occurred.  I frantically retraced my steps from the evening and came up empty. With no expectation of success,  I finally tried l and f. It almost brought tears to my eyes that some beautiful soul turned it in. I asked both times if they knew who my good Samaritan was so I could thank them but they did not know. Needless to say, that bracelet has been to the jewelers for a new closure mechanism. 

23 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

But, if I do not want a butler, need premium drinks or exclusive dining and venues, is my money well spent on a suite?

I doubt it----You sound like us.

I notice that lot's of folks on CC enjoy staying in a suite --- and it sure doesn't mean they are " snobs " !!!

We tried a suite once and found that the value was not worth the extra cost .

We are non-drinkers , don't want the canapés at 4pm , a towel shaped like a moose on our bed at night time, or invited to have dinner with the Chief Engineer, and besides, ( LOL ) ---we can't play a piano. 

Regarding dining---- We '' learned " long ago to take a table for 2 in the MDR----- just in case !!!! ( You know what I mean ). Most often we enjoy chatting with the people beside us ( Where ya from , must be cold up there , how many cruises have you taken , etc, etc ) . 

I would recommend spending a few extra $$$$ at the Specialty Restaurants ( Murano, Lawn Grill, and Tuscan Grill ) very much ---- never had a bad meal or bad service --- and I suggest giving the Server a gratuity directly to him/her so they do not have to share it in the " tip pool ".

Funny how it works with upgraded SRs, Concierge, Aqua or Suites. Some try them and never go back, others find it not quite worth it. We did Aqua and just didn’t find the dining experience worth the pricing. We go Concierge a lot and many find it a waste of money, but we enjoy the SR selections and the minor bene’s. Worth it when the price isn’t gagaa……to us. Going Sky Suite next year on a TA and see if there’s a fit. 

Use to be, we’d measure the Suite option as limiting the number of cruises, and never really checked them out. Now that we are, shall we say, more ‘ripe’, I think it is an option that doesn’t restrict, but will just see if it is a ‘fit’.  

I have a feeling! And after reading this thread, I’m truly looking forward to it….wish we could have more of you join us. All of you think about a neat TA on the Edge next year! This is one of the more helpful, and friendly threads. Much like a Roll Call where no one tries the cheap shots and forced ‘not fairs’ we get on so many threads. 

But going Retreat, I do have to breakout my private school tie and my ascots, and exclusive club embossed blazer and I’ll be ready!!!! 

Den

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Funny how it works with upgraded SRs, Concierge, Aqua or Suites. Some try them and never go back, others find it not quite worth it. We did Aqua and just didn’t find the dining experience worth the pricing. We go Concierge a lot and many find it a waste of money, but we enjoy the SR selections and the minor bene’s. Worth it when the price isn’t gagaa……to us. Going Sky Suite next year on a TA and see if there’s a fit. 

Use to be, we’d measure the Suite option as limiting the number of cruises, and never really checked them out. Now that we are, shall we say, more ‘ripe’, I think it is an option that doesn’t restrict, but will just see if it is a ‘fit’.  

I have a feeling! And after reading this thread, I’m truly looking forward to it….wish we could have more of you join us. All of you think about a neat TA on the Edge next year! This is one of the more helpful, and friendly threads. Much like a Roll Call where no one tries the cheap shots and forced ‘not fairs’ we get on so many threads. 

But going Retreat, I do have to breakout my private school tie and my ascots, and exclusive club embossed blazer and I’ll be ready!!!! 

Den

Agreed Den.  Never done a TA but that will change in Oct 2022 on Beyond.  Was in an S3 on EDGE in 2019, room, Retreat, entire ship was amazing.  Enjoy your cruises!!

6 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

Den

Den, I really wish we could sail with you next year but we already have a TA booked on Apex. I hope you will like the Suite life and we will get the opportunity to do another TA with you sometime in the future.