Fred. Olsen Officers

1 hour ago, Shower from the East said:

I notice on the Fred.Olsen website that one captain, four hotel managers and two cruise directors ( now called entertainment managers ) seem to have left the Company. Sign of the times? Fewer ships sailing I guess require fewer staff. 

I think there is often a fair movement of staff anyway in cruise lines.  It was sometime last year that they decided Braemar was to be  laid up until spring 2022 I think, and must admit I am beginning to wonder if Balmoral will re start when the next cruises are scheduled.  Starting two big ships is quite an optimistic move in these days, but once staffed as well as generally being up and running, I feel it is more likely they will do their best to keep them running rather than re start yet another ship.  Just my thoughts, but we will have to see.  As you say no point keeping staff on if they are not needed and the staff themselves may well find other opportunities in theses days that are more secure.  Hotel and entertainment staff may well find land  based.  I understood last year that a quite number of staff from head office had been "Let go", though the company did say they were sad they had to do so.

I cannot find the details you mention on the website, though have seen that sort of info .previously, any chance of a pointer as to how to find it?

3 hours ago, Shower from the East said:

On the website go to “our ships”, then “crew” and that prompts you to captains, entertainment managers and hotel managers. Hope that makes sense!

I suspect that what you are seeing is taking place in some of the cruise lines that are North American based.  Carnival Cruise Lines has "lost" a few ships as has Holland America, Princess Cruises, and P&O Australia, I think.  Royal Caribbean has lost their two smallest/oldest vessels.  

I have noticed many new faces and younger faces in senior management positions on my most recent cruises.  I expect that to continue.  I don't see that as a negative.  Celebrity Cruises was, I think, the first to hire a female Captain, Captain Kate.  I'd like to see all of the cruise lines make such a promotion.  Again, from my recent cruise experiences, there are more lady deck officers aboard whatever ship I am sailing than I have ever seen.  It was somewhat of a "jolt" when I witnessed a woman 2nd Officer in charge of the lifesaving equipment aboard a HAL ship climbing up to the deck where there was a lifeboat that needed some TLC and directing her crew as to what needed to be done. 

Edited by rkacruiser

On 5/29/2021 at 10:46 PM, rkacruiser said:

I suspect that what you are seeing is taking place in some of the cruise lines that are North American based.  Carnival Cruise Lines has "lost" a few ships as has Holland America, Princess Cruises, and P&O Australia, I think.  Royal Caribbean has lost their two smallest/oldest vessels.  

I have noticed many new faces and younger faces in senior management positions on my most recent cruises.  I expect that to continue.  I don't see that as a negative.  Celebrity Cruises was, I think, the first to hire a female Captain, Captain Kate.  I'd like to see all of the cruise lines make such a promotion.  Again, from my recent cruise experiences, there are more lady deck officers aboard whatever ship I am sailing than I have ever seen.  It was somewhat of a "jolt" when I witnessed a woman 2nd Officer in charge of the lifesaving equipment aboard a HAL ship climbing up to the deck where there was a lifeboat that needed some TLC and directing her crew as to what needed to be done. 

I'm sure it is something that has happened throughout the cruise industry as a result of the pandemic.

Re female officers, if I recall correctly, Celebrity has one ship where all the senior bridge staff are female.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Britboys said:

Re female officers, if I recall correctly, Celebrity has one ship where all the senior bridge staff are female.

No memory of where I read that, but I do recall the same thing.  

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/31/2021 at 7:41 AM, Britboys said:

I'm sure it is something that has happened throughout the cruise industry as a result of the pandemic.

Here's the announcement for the Celebrity Edge all female bridge.

https://www.cruisetradenews.com/celebrity-first-all-female-bridge-officer-team-international-womens-day/

• Like 2