Buyer’s Remorse

KingsQueen13

So, my initial cruise to Alaska was scheduled over my 40th birthday this September. It was canceled in January. I rebooked for next September, upgraded my room choice, and decided I’m not turning 40 til next year while on my cruise. Now that things have changed and they are allowing Alaskan cruises this September I am really sad that I’m not going this year as initially planned. What do you think the chances are that I can book the closest thing to my original cruise back using the funds I’ve already sunk into next year’s? Do I just suck it up and wait til next September? 

Considering that things may not be totally sorted out in AK during this year, you will probably be better off delaying to 2022.  You will only be 1 year older and the cruise will be much better.

DON

How did you book your trip?  If you used a TA or PCC, call and ask.  I know how you feel.  We had to transfer our Alaska cruise tour to August 2022 and I’m glad I don’t have a choice.  It’s a long time to wait!

4 hours ago, KingsQueen13 said:

Do I just suck it up and wait til next September? 

I think donoldsc's advice is reasonable.  If you still want to try for 2021 and are using a travel agent, let the travel agent determine what might be arranged.  No travel agent?  You can speak to the cruise line and try to determine for yourself what might be arranged.  

54 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

I agree with RKA & donaldsc. While some ship's may cruise to Alaska this year, the numbers will be way down, so much of the infrastructure may not be available.

But it won’t be crowded with multiple ships in port!

3 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

But it won’t be crowded with multiple ships in port!

Yes, definitely an improvement, but while less ships, they are nearly all mega ships. Still a long way from the great days of Alaska cruising when we had only 1 or 2 ships with about 700 pax on each.

We are booked for September 2021 on the Carnival Miracle.  Thought briefly about rescheduling but the stops this year (8 day) so much better than next year (7 day).  Port times are better this year too. They are requiring all passengers to be vaccinated, which means no children under 12 (and that's a huge plus for us).  So we're still planning on going.  

• Like 2

Hubby and I just booked a cruise leaving the first week in September of this year. The determining factor for me, whether to go this year or in 2022 (since our 2020 plans for our 25th anniversary got canceled), is the fact that there are no Canadian ports this year due to the waiver of the PVSA. Sure Victoria is lovely, but you're only there for a few hours so it's hard to really get to know the place. (And well, I live in WA State, so Victoria and Vancouver are an easy trip for us anyway). 

• Like 1