Wanted to try but many concerns

cusematt4

Hi,

I have been looking forward to trying Virgin Voyages but the more I browse and look at pictures the more concerns I have.

I like when everything is included and usually buy the drink and dining package on royal Caribbean and Norwegian.  The $100 extra when buying a bar tab equates to a handful of free drinks and is not the same as an open bar.  The lack of drinks on drinks on top of the high pricing is a reason alone I am reluctant to cruise although I want to try Virgin.  Had pricing been cheaper, I would want the option to buy a drinks package but that isn’t even offered

For a line that is substantially higher than other lines and claims all is included (which is a little more than NCL with the drinks and wifi), there seem to be a lot of extras.  Aside from drinks, specialty coffee is extra as is one of the dinner shows and the spa.  I really thought the relaxation area in the spa would be open to all based on the excessive pricing.

Does anyone know what type or crowd I should expect if I was to cruise around the holidays?  Is it still going to be families, or will families with kids off from school flock to the other lines?  If Virgin isn’t for seniors either, will this mostly be couples and not families?

other concerns that I have are related to the outdoor space and entertainment.

whole Virgin advertises no traditional Broadway shows, the high quality Broadway shows and comedy have become very well done.  I also enjoy the varied live music on rcl and ncl.  If the shirt gigs and acrobats and dance parties are the entertainment, what else is there to do at night besides a dj?

will there be additional entertainment such as piano bars and adult comedians?  What are the shows actually like for anyone who went on a preview cruise?  What kind of live music of any will there be?  I see several djs mentioned but no mention of live music.  Will there be pool games and contests to create a fun atmosphere?

The dining looks amazing but I’m concerned that aside from 20 restaurants there is little organized entertainment by day and night, especially without a cruise schedule or cruise director.

Lastly I am concerned about the pool.  The one pool and one wading pool seem smaller than what I have in my backyard.  While there are several port stops on shorter cruise and Bimini looks great, I can’t get over how a 4,000 person ship has a pool meant for 5.

I really want to try something new and refreshing, but at the very high prices, I am concerned about the drink package, daytime and nighttime entertainment and pool area.

As I said the dining looks great but it seems like the ship is focused around 20 restaurants and a large gym when I want to bar hop, listen to live music, see high quality shows and entertainment and relax without having to pay extra.

if anyone has any insight i would appreciate it.

Since no one has been on a paying Virgin cruise yet, you're asking for answers we would have to make up. Of course the ship is 18 and over, so no typical families no matter when the cruise. I get the impression you would be happier staying inside your traditional cruise box. Yes the "entertainment" is not typical. Drag Queen Brunch? Not on any other line. Do you actually swim in the pool or just lounge around it? BTY, about 2750, not 4000 passengers. If you drink more than 8 drinks a day - maybe NCL is a better fit. This is just Virgin's way of limiting the drunk sailors. Different approaches for different lifestyles. Not for everybody. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

On 5/30/2021 at 3:06 PM, twodjs said:

Since no one has been on a paying Virgin cruise yet, you're asking for answers we would have to make up. Of course the ship is 18 and over, so no typical families no matter when the cruise. I get the impression you would be happier staying inside your traditional cruise box. Yes the "entertainment" is not typical. Drag Queen Brunch? Not on any other line. Do you actually swim in the pool or just lounge around it? BTY, about 2750, not 4000 passengers. If you drink more than 8 drinks a day - maybe NCL is a better fit. This is just Virgin's way of limiting the drunk sailors. Different approaches for different lifestyles. Not for everybody. 

Drunk sailors!  LMAO

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2021 at 12:27 PM, cusematt4 said:

Hi,

I have been looking forward to trying Virgin Voyages but the more I browse and look at pictures the more concerns I have.

I like when everything is included and usually buy the drink and dining package on royal Caribbean and Norwegian.  The $100 extra when buying a bar tab equates to a handful of free drinks and is not the same as an open bar.  The lack of drinks on drinks on top of the high pricing is a reason alone I am reluctant to cruise although I want to try Virgin.  Had pricing been cheaper, I would want the option to buy a drinks package but that isn’t even offered

For a line that is substantially higher than other lines and claims all is included (which is a little more than NCL with the drinks and wifi), there seem to be a lot of extras.  Aside from drinks, specialty coffee is extra as is one of the dinner shows and the spa.  I really thought the relaxation area in the spa would be open to all based on the excessive pricing.

Does anyone know what type or crowd I should expect if I was to cruise around the holidays?  Is it still going to be families, or will families with kids off from school flock to the other lines?  If Virgin isn’t for seniors either, will this mostly be couples and not families?

other concerns that I have are related to the outdoor space and entertainment.

whole Virgin advertises no traditional Broadway shows, the high quality Broadway shows and comedy have become very well done.  I also enjoy the varied live music on rcl and ncl.  If the shirt gigs and acrobats and dance parties are the entertainment, what else is there to do at night besides a dj?

will there be additional entertainment such as piano bars and adult comedians?  What are the shows actually like for anyone who went on a preview cruise?  What kind of live music of any will there be?  I see several djs mentioned but no mention of live music.  Will there be pool games and contests to create a fun atmosphere?

The dining looks amazing but I’m concerned that aside from 20 restaurants there is little organized entertainment by day and night, especially without a cruise schedule or cruise director.

Lastly I am concerned about the pool.  The one pool and one wading pool seem smaller than what I have in my backyard.  While there are several port stops on shorter cruise and Bimini looks great, I can’t get over how a 4,000 person ship has a pool meant for 5.

I really want to try something new and refreshing, but at the very high prices, I am concerned about the drink package, daytime and nighttime entertainment and pool area.

As I said the dining looks great but it seems like the ship is focused around 20 restaurants and a large gym when I want to bar hop, listen to live music, see high quality shows and entertainment and relax without having to pay extra.

if anyone has any insight i would appreciate it.

No open bar, drink what you want when you want with some accountability for yourself... count me in.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Notnewtoit said:

No open bar, drink what you want when you want with some accountability for yourself... count me in.

As a non-drinker, I appreciate this as well. Won't need the little men in the white hazmat suits like you find on NCL at the wee hours of the morning.

Also, appreciate that I'm not subsidizing the alcohol consumption by including it in all fares. I truly commend VV for the way they've done it. I think Celebrity will copy it and VV should sue for royalties.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2021 at 8:06 PM, twodjs said:

Nice point of view which of course I entirely concur with.

PS. Love your hat. 😀