LADIES COVID CLOSET AND PACKING FOR CRUISE JUNE 12TH

Oh my, doing the summer/winter switch a rue today and trying to package for Adventure of the Seas June 12th.

After over 35 cruises and having the packing down to a science, I think Covid took my brain cells away.  Of course, it does not  help that I have not worn half my clothes for over a year, packed for a trip  and this memorial weekend is cold and rainy in Virginia.  

I have taken the four bathing suits down to three; interchanged several skorts with different tops. 

Do I really need six outfits? Are inside venues chilling at night?  Will anyone notice is I wear an outfit twice ?😛

Not complaining by any stretch just a bit overwhelmed right now because the next two weeks will be busy.  Love to hear from others who are in the same boat, no pun attended. 😀

ps may have posted on meet and mingle roll calls by mistake.

• Like 2

Pack light. No one cares if you wear the same outfit more than once.

thought, find a small umbrella. Rain is predicted most days in Nassau this time of year and it is a 3/4 mile outdoors hike down the streets of Nassau from the checkin to the ship. 

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 4

I would pack the same as you’ve always packed on a Caribbean cruise this time of year.  It does get chilly in some indoor areas, especially the theatre.  Probably more so now with limited capacity. A light shawl is all you need to keep warm.  No one notices if you wear the same thing twice unless it’s x-rated or a 🤡 clown outfit. Enjoy your cruise!  🛳️

• Like 1

I always wear the same outfit more than once. For a one-week cruise, two pairs of trousers or two skirts (or one of eac), two tops that go with both bottoms and which you can switch around, plus one fancy outfit to wear on both formal nights. For daytime, a couple of sundresses or shorts and t-shirt sets and a couple of swimsuits. A light cover-up that will work with both daytime and nighttime outfits. If a visit to a religious site is on the cards, something that covers shoulders and knees. That's really the only time anyone might notice or care what you're wearing.

Hope you have a fabulous time on your cruise! :)

at least I have a few more than the basics on the bed for now.  All navy/black mix and match. And they all fit😀 That was the chore.  Will purge the bed in a week, I know I put too much out.  No sweat /lounge pants for the Cabin (was tempted though) but also will probably purge the formal outfit for the less formal, just could not bring myself to go that extreme first time out and really have not done that on a cruise for years.  I original thought I had grown up, guess not 😊

Gave up on the official closet switch today, figure when I get back, that is when I can purge the excess and will find out Tuesday if my job will allow me to continue to work from home.  If so, that is when I will really make the change.

Nice chat ladies.  

One of the strange phenomena being reported with Covid is that clothes that haven’t been worn in the past six or twelve months have been shrinking! Scientists are baffled at how the disease is causing clothes sitting in drawers untouched to shrink, but reports from all have have confirmed this is happening. Be careful packing anything you haven’t tried on 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

Lol.  So true that clothes have shrunk!  

I too am not a pack light person but I don’t pack more then one per evening, one per day outfit.  I find more swim wear and less shorts and tops.  And shoes to go with my evening wear.  Unless you pay for bags when you fly who cares?  We use Southwest so I can take what we want. 

We will be waiting a few more months to resume but I’m excited for you!   We have been discussing a fall cruise, just need approval for vacation first from work!

I am a light packer and definitely not a fashionista.  For our 7 day cruise I plan to bring 2 pr capris with 2 tops each, 4 light brushed cotton swing dresses ( wrinkles just fall out!) 2-3 light cardigans & a Jean jacket that will match everything.  2 bathing suits & a pr of yoga pants & tee shirt for schlepping to WJ in the AM.  I live in flip flops so 3 pairs.   We have not made a decision on formal night yet.  

5 hours ago, hlfrps said:

I think Covid took my brain cells away.

I feel this.

I’ve always had a problem with packing light (blah blah I hate rewearing clothes blah), but I had gotten it somewhat figured out and had good lists. For the Caribbean or Bermuda.

But now my first post pandemic cruise will be Alaska … which I have never done. Plus pandemic brain, and not doing cruise packing in a couple of years. I don’t even own any of the specialized clothing items people recommend for Alaska. Like waterproof anything.

6 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

I feel this.

I’ve always had a problem with packing light (blah blah I hate rewearing clothes blah), but I had gotten it somewhat figured out and had good lists. For the Caribbean or Bermuda.

But now my first post pandemic cruise will be Alaska … which I have never done. Plus pandemic brain, and not doing cruise packing in a couple of years. I don’t even own any of the specialized clothing items people recommend for Alaska. Like waterproof anything.

Alaska was harder for us to pack for because we were gone for 15 days.  We were also early in the season (May), so it was colder but it wasn't parka cold.  Layering is the best bet.  The only thing waterproof we had was an outer layer, just a Columbia windbreaker that was waterproof, not water resistant and our hiking boots.  We brought low, waterproof hiking boots because we were going to Denali and because we were also hiking at Mendenhall Glacier.  We could have easily gotten by with sneakers that we sprayed with a waterproofing spray.  We had light weight fleece that we layered under our waterproof jackets.  We saw people dressed for the arctic and others dressed more like us, it depends on the time of year and you.  We run warm, so we were in shorts and tshirts the last days of our cruise.  We were in jeans and long sleeves early on.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, voyager70 said:

Hope my SO doesn't see this thread.  I already need a good workout or two just to lift her suitcases.  Less is more, please ladies 😉

Or just do like my husband and hire a company to move the bags to and from the ship. Less expensive than hernia surgery, right?

4 hours ago, zekekelso said:

One of the strange phenomena being reported with Covid is that clothes that haven’t been worn in the past six or twelve months have been shrinking! Scientists are baffled at how the disease is causing clothes sitting in drawers untouched to shrink, but reports from all have have confirmed this is happening. Be careful packing anything you haven’t tried on 🙂

Am I the only person that when packing I assign certain items for early in the cruise,  and others for later?  Cause that shrinking phenomenon seems to happen on cruises also.

My scale here at home is also 10 lbs off either over or under, not sure which.  

Eddie

Edited by Eddie Wilson

8 hours ago, hlfrps said:

Not complaining by any stretch just a bit overwhelmed right now because the next two weeks will be busy.  Love to hear from others who are in the same boat, no pun attended. 😀

Another thought,,, on my pack list (yeah, I have a pack list) I have included medications and essential toiletries/cosmetics for an additional week+. This is the first cruise with undisciplined Americans who think that they know 

it all. Kind of mitigating the risk of getting stuck on the ship due to uncertainty of the state of passengers. Or stuck in the Bahamas if the RCCL  bargain basement Covid test tags us with a false positive. 

FDA: The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is alerting clinical laboratory staff and health care providers that false positive results can occur with antigen tests

10 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Another thought,,, on my pack list (yeah, I have a pack list) I have included medications and essential toiletries/cosmetics for an additional week+. This is the first cruise with undisciplined Americans who think that they know 

it all. Kind of mitigating the risk of getting stuck on the ship due to uncertainty of the state of passengers. Or stuck in the Bahamas if the RCCL  bargain basement Covid test tags us with a false positive. 

FDA: The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is alerting clinical laboratory staff and health care providers that false positive results can occur with antigen tests

HUH?

I’m in the “have fun with your vacation fashion” camp — plenty of opportunity to wear sweats at home.  But, I will be packing some yoga pants and tops for cabin lounging.  Got stuck due to Hurricane Dorian in 2019, and learned the hard way.  Also think extra meds is a good idea.  Maybe some travel laundry soap packets.  

I don’t think we will be doing formal attire though — cocktail and club more likely.  

• Like 1

I am impressed that last year's clothes still fit you after a year of stay at home. My packing for July cruise may be bed sheets aka Toga party as the Covid cooties invaded my closet and shrunk my clothes!!!   😕

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

True, but they are more likely to be false negative than positive

• Like 1