Seeking recommendations for cruise to Alaska.

AMCJavelin

•  

I originally asked this on the Celebrity Cruise board.  It was suggested that I may want to try posting my question here.  We are looking for recommendations for an Alaskan cruise it will most likely be a 1 time event for us.   Hoping to plan something for 2022 - fingers crossed.   We normally cruise Celebrity or RCI.  We always book Balcony cabins. Cruise will be for my wife and I - just the 2 of us we are in our late 50's in good physical condition with no limitations.   Seeking the following information:

1. Best time of year to take an Alaskan cruise?

2. Recommended Itinerary - I have friends who suggest we have to do the "Inside Passage" if at all possible - thoughts?

3. Must see/do items in port?

Much thanks!  

I checked on a number of Celebrity Cruises on CC and it appears they do the inside passage - Not sure if this is a good itinerary or not.

Example - Celebrity Eclipse  Hubbard Glacier Cruise -  

Cruise Itinerary DAY 1Vancouver DAY 2Inside Passage DAY 3Icy Strait DAY 4Hubbard Glacier DAY 5Juneau DAY 6Ketchikan DAY 7Inside Passage DAY Vancouver

While I responded to you on the Celebrity forum I am glad you have found the Alaska board.  

If you haven't already done so please spend some time reading the trip reports for 2019 located at the top of this page.  These reports are full of great information and many have photos.  They will assist you to prioritize what you want to see in Alaska.

Even though we live in Alaska we do Alaska itineraries periodically.  We have cruised Alaska in May, June, July, August and even end of the season in September.  May tends to be drier in SE Alaska, with much more rain in August and September.  Mid June to mid July will be peak times for maximum daylight.

I am trying to think of an itinerary which doesn't do the "inside passage."

Activities in ports run the gamut from outdoorsy to museums to shows.  A wide range.  Reading those trip reports will help you determine what may be of interest to you.  

Now that you on the Alaska board, a little reading would be beneficial. Your questions are discussed here daily.

True Inside Passage...meaning sailing from/to Vancouver is the most desirable route. It is very scenic.

"Best time" means knowing what you mean by "best". May/June is the driest, July/August a bit warmer.

Your itinerary is great.

We love the mid to late May and prefer the northbound from Vancouver to Seward or at least a round trip from Vancouver and on one of the RCI Radiance class ships....Serenade is a favorite.

I would avoid the Seattle itinerary...too much time getting to and from Alaska...JMHO

2 minutes ago, Ashland said:

We love the mid to late May and prefer the northbound from Vancouver to Seward or at least a round trip from Vancouver and on one of the RCI Radiance class ships....Serenade is a favorite.

I would avoid the Seattle itinerary...too much time getting to and from Alaska...JMHO

Thanks we are leaning toward Vancouver, I pretty sure of that.

• Like 1

I have completed 2 full Alaska seasons and my preference is early/mid June. Longest days are great for scenic cruising, weather has a higher probability of being nice and not too many kids.

Many cruise lines take extreme liberties with the term "Inside Passage". When sailing out of Vancouver, all ships use Johnstone Strait to the East of Vancouver Island, but at Port Hardy, the mainstream mega ships all head up Hecate Strait. However, smaller ships have a higher chance of remaining in the Inside Passage up to Prince Rupert.

My preference is also for a 1-way to Seward/Whittier to see Prince Willian Sound.

On 6/1/2021 at 7:00 PM, AMCJavelin said:
1. Best time of year to take an Alaskan cruise?

2. Recommended Itinerary - I have friends who suggest we have to do the "Inside Passage" if at all possible - thoughts?

3. Must see/do items in port?

1. There's not much choice for time of year. Other than cruising on the Alaska Marine Highway, the only choice is "summer." Within that time of year, I have enjoyed September after Labor Day. Most of the bugs and tourists are gone. It is only a narrow window, however, since by mid-September many facilities begin closing down.

2. There's not much choice for itinerary with respect to the inside passage. All cruises to and from Seattle and Vancouver traverse this route. The real choice in itinerary is between a round-trip cruise, which originates in Seattle, and a one-way cruise that travels between Vancouver and either Seward or Whittier. The former traverses only the inside passage, visiting only the panhandle of the state, going as far north as Skagway (or Haines). It is one side of the state. The latter also visits the panhandle, but includes as well the crossing to the Kenai peninsula, and then opens the door to the entire center of the state. With only one week, you'll choose the former. But if you have at least two weeks, then choose the latter (which will necessitate deciding as well on a return route . . . another cruise, flying, or overland). To me, if I am going to make a trip all the way to Alaska, I would want to go all the way to Anchorage, and preferably onward to Denali and Fairbanks. (Actually, my preference would be a cruise across the northwest passage, but those fares are incredibly expensive.)

3. What is a "must see" for one person is a "tourist trap" to be avoided by another. I say let your own interests be your guide. For example, if you like civics, then the state capitol building in Juneau is a "must see," but if not, then this plain-looking office building should be avoided. I am a transport enthusiast, so the railroads in Skagway, Seward, and Whittier are a draw for me, but for others who despise taking the subway to and from work each day, the trains might best be avoided. Best thing is to do research on your own for various ports, then ask about specific sights for pros and cons on each.

7 minutes ago, GTJ said:

2. There's not much choice for itinerary with respect to the inside passage. All cruises to and from Seattle and Vancouver traverse this route. The real choice in itinerary is between a round-trip cruise, which originates in Seattle, and a one-way cruise that travels between Vancouver and either Seward or Whittier. The former traverses only the inside passage, visiting only the panhandle of the state, going as far north as Skagway (or Haines). It is one side of the state. The latter also visits the panhandle, but includes as well the crossing to the Kenai peninsula, and then opens the door to the entire center of the state. With only one week, you'll choose the former. But if you have at least two weeks, then choose the latter (which will necessitate deciding as well on a return route . . . another cruise, flying, or overland). To me, if I am going to make a trip all the way to Alaska, I would want to go all the way to Anchorage, and preferably onward to Denali and Fairbanks. (Actually, my preference would be a cruise across the northwest passage, but those fares are incredibly expensive.)

I think most would say there is a significant difference between how a ship sailing from Vancouver gets to Juneau, for example, as opposed to how a ship sailing from Vancouver gets to Juneau. The route out of Vancouver is far more scenic than the open seas route out of Seattle.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, GTJ said:

Yes, all cruises from Vancouver and Seattle must at some point of an Alaska cruise enter the "Inside Passage", which extends from Seattle to Skagway. Some cruise lines take liberties with quoting the "Inside Passage", as many of the mega ships minimise the time in narrow channels. Depending on the cruise line and size of ship, you have a number of itinerary options to maximise Inside Passage time.

A good example is Juneau being the first port - they can bypass the Inside Passage, entering just south of Juneau at Coronation Island. Since Juneau arrival is often early morning, this section is at night.

As a comparison, when I worked Alaska cruise ships, we completed the entire BC Inside Passage, then entered Alaska's "Inside Passage" as soon as we crossed Dixon Entrance, remaining in narrow channels the entire time in Alaska. These options are still available, but most mega ships minimise their time in the "Inside Passage". Why - most likely because the ships are too big and less pilotage time reduces costs significantly.

However, a number of smaller ships still provide more "Inside Passage" time, so itinerary options are available.

I agree with seeing Prince William Sound and going to Seward/Whittier, as along with BC's Grenville Channel & Princess Royal Channel, these are some of the most scenic areas on the PNW Coast.

BTW - Vancouver also has ships that complete R/T sailing to SE Alaska.

We've done 4 cruises to Alaska over the years; three were in May/June time period and one in Sept.  I strongly disliked the Sept. cruise as Glacier Bay, e.g., was pretty much devoid of snow; plus had a lot of rain on that cruise.  May is my favorite; has almost always been sunny and Glacier Bay is beautiful with lots of snow cover on the mountains.

I see your proposed itinerary does Hubbard Glacier rather than Glacier Bay.  IMHO it's far inferior to GB, but I guess Celebrity still doesn't have access to Glacier Bay.   Our first Alaskan cruise did Hubbard Glacier and it was OK, but not after one has seen Glacier Bay in the spring/early summer.

Enjoy!

Edited by BarbinMich
  • Like 1

I also like May (because of snow on glaciers) and Glacier Bay. Early June is ok also. Once you have done Glacier Bay, you can see the others. BTW - I was iced out of Hubbard Glacier on a July cruise. Ships rarely miss Glacier Bay.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1