Kudos, Excitement and Itinerary

AliciaCochran

First off; I’m so glad I found this community. When I started planning I was on a Facebook group. People were nice but it didn’t have an Alaskan section so wasn’t that helpful. So thank you; reading these boards has helped me with so many decisions. 

I have to say I don’t think I’ve ever been as excited for a trip as this one. I travel a lot for work and fun; and been all over US/Caribbean/Mexico/Europe. The photos and excursions in Alaska have pulled me in like no other! 🤠

We were originally booked to go British Isles; then  2020 happened. So the hubs said “hey why don’t we push it out to 2022 and do Alaska.”  Our deposit was on Princess but the more I read the more I wanted to do Celebrity. So we are doing a resort in Mexico this year and then we’re booked on 7 day North-Bound on the Millennium May 27th with 3 nights on our own after.

Here’s the excursions I have so far;

-At sea; Chefs Table Dinner
-Ketchikan;  Halibut Fishing still exploring boats 
-Icy Strait Point; this stop I’m having hard time with. We live by whale watching so not into that. Thinking  zodiac? ATV?  Lunch at  Hoonah Beach House 
-Juneau; Float plane with Taku Lodge Feast 
-Skagway; Mushers  Camp 
-Seward; Fly Fishing with guide in Coopers Landing and dinner at Cookery 
-Seward; Horseback riding , lunch at brewing co, exit glacier/explore
-Seward; Train to Anchorage 

Few last notes:

*We love hiking, fishing, rafting, DOGS, and being outdoors so I picked things that catered to that as much as possible.
* We are foodies! 

*I had hard time with Juneau and Skagway because more things I wanted to do then time. The excursions I picked I’m so jazzed for! 

* I’m really torn with staying one night in Coopers Landing the day we fish or staying whole land trip at Harbor 360 
*Lastly; I really wanted to take helicopter and walk on the glacier but just couldn’t figure out how to fit it in. Mushers Camp seemed like more interaction with the puppies then the dog sled one but maybe I’m wrong there? 

anyways that’s our dream trip! If I’m missing something or wrong on something I’m open to suggestions! 

Alicia,

Welcome to Alaska forum on cruise critic! You may want to check out prior year trip reports to get more ideas.

A lot of people like the zipline at Icy Strait point. 

Taku tour in Juneau is great but you say you like hiking and being on a glacier. You might want to check out going to mendenhall and taking a hike to nugget falls by the glacier and there are more hiking trails around mendenhall.  In Juneau, I took a helicopter ride to walk on a glacier and that was one of my favorite tours. I think you can fly to a glacier in skagway also. In skagway, there is a hike and train option on some ship excursions or might be able to book independently.

Another of my favorite tours is 6 hour Kenai Fjord boat tour out of Seward to see a glacier and marine life. 

Alaska is a beautiful place and I hope you enjoy it.

You can also get advice on the Celebrity forum on this website and Alaska forum on Trip Advisor.  I found looking at pictures of places on trip reports to be the most helpful. 

@AliciaCochran

I think you will enjoy Celebrity! Echoing Katrina. When in Seward please do add a Kenai Fjords Nat'l Park boat tour to your itinerary. We were able to get very close to a calving glacier on our little boat. KA-BOOM!! Also since you enjoy hiking,  go with your planned visit to Exit Glacier, though I believe it has been rapidly receding so not sure how far you'd have to hike to see it. We also enjoyed walking around the Seward shipyard and wonder at the huge equipment.

We are hoping to re-visit Alaska on the Celebrity Summit this September if the pricing works out! But our favorite time there was our DIY land tour.

You are way over planning.  Planning tours - yes.  Planning where you are going to east lunch - over planning.  Also, you do not go to AK as a food destination but as a scenic and outdoor destination.  Just my opinion.

DON

• Haha 1

On 6/2/2021 at 3:48 PM, AliciaCochran said:

Icy Strait Point;

If it is available, I recommend the cultural presentation by those who live in that region.  I found it entertaining as well as being informative about the Native Alaskans culture of that specific area.

Seward; 

I also suggest to try to find time for a visit to Kenai Fjords National Park.  If the weather doesn't cooperate when you are there and you want to be out of the elements, their Sea Life Aquarium/Museum is a worthwhile visit.

Edited by rkacruiser

Thanks all. I will check out  Kenai Fjords National Park tours for sure.

Am I an over planner; probably. 🤣🤣 But my plans on the land are flexible meaning that’s the direction I want to head in and restaurants in that direction that I know are rated high. Good food is super important to my hubs so well we may not end up there I love knowing what is rated the best and what people are saying to avoid. 

First off; I’m so glad I found this community. When I started planning I was on a Facebook group. People were nice but it didn’t have an Alaskan section so wasn’t that helpful. So thank you; reading these boards has helped me with so many decisions. 

I have to say I don’t think I’ve ever been as excited for a trip as this one. I travel a lot for work and fun; and been all over US/Caribbean/Mexico/Europe. The photos and excursions in Alaska have pulled me in like no other! 🤠

We were originally booked to go British Isles; then  2020 happened. So the hubs said “hey why don’t we push it out to 2022 and do Alaska.”  Our deposit was on Princess but the more I read the more I wanted to do Celebrity. So we are doing a resort in Mexico this year and then we’re booked on 7 day North-Bound on the Millennium May 27th with 3 nights on our own after.

Here’s the excursions I have so far;

-At sea; Chefs Table Dinner
-Ketchikan;  Halibut Fishing still exploring boats 
-Icy Strait Point; this stop I’m having hard time with. We live by whale watching so not into that. Thinking  zodiac? ATV?  Lunch at  Hoonah Beach House 
-Juneau; Float plane with Taku Lodge Feast 
-Skagway; Mushers  Camp 
-Seward; Fly Fishing with guide in Coopers Landing and dinner at Cookery 
-Seward; Horseback riding , lunch at brewing co, exit glacier/explore
-Seward; Train to Anchorage 

Few last notes:

*We love hiking, fishing, rafting, DOGS, and being outdoors so I picked things that catered to that as much as possible.
* We are foodies! 

*I had hard time with Juneau and Skagway because more things I wanted to do then time. The excursions I picked I’m so jazzed for! 

* I’m really torn with staying one night in Coopers Landing the day we fish or staying whole land trip at Harbor 360 
*Lastly; I really wanted to take helicopter and walk on the glacier but just couldn’t figure out how to fit it in. Mushers Camp seemed like more interaction with the puppies then the dog sled one but maybe I’m wrong there? 

anyways that’s our dream trip! If I’m missing something or wrong on something I’m open to suggestions! 

We went to Seward years ago and had a fantastic meal at Thorn's Showcase Lounge.  They advertise a "bowl of 'but" (halibut) that was simply outstanding.  The decor is 1970s style... very retro.  We had fun there.  

• Like 1