Barbados summer cruises 2021

Jayjay900

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I do not recognize this name.  The HAL entertainment guru is Mr. Prince.  

My thinking was that since Seabourn has been incorporated into the HAL Group, there would be some employees who needed to update their resumes because of the Covid financial challenges that the cruise lines encountered.  Prince was one of them.  

Copied from Linked In:  

Handré Potgieter

Head of Entertainment & Enrichment | Leader | Optimist | Contemporary Classical Composer & Pianist 

Seattle, Washington, United States500+ connections

• Thanks 1

Can anyone on the Odyssey report the number of guests on board this week?  I know the past several weeks they have been averaging around 70 people.  Just wondering how the trend is progressing as we move into September.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2021 at 7:52 AM, GrandCru said:

@Borna,  if you are still reading the Seabourn boards,  would you please confirm what I think you stated earlier in this thread.  I'm interested in what you did to help expedite your Barbados airport arrival test.   You uploaded the BIMSafe app showing your 72 hr prior to arriving negative test, you typed out your name, and email address for the Barbados arrival test results to be sent, and had your original vaccination card.

Did I miss anything?  Is there something else you would suggest to help make this process go smoothly?

We all appreciate your input and information.

Thank you!

Also brought copies of everything: covid vaccination card, passport page, negative test result, the code Barbados sends you after you upload your pre-flight negative test result to show/give to the airport Barbados authorities.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, GrandCru said:

Thank you Borna!  Every detail helps.  I really appreciate you taking the time to answer everyone's questions.

I want to add my thanks as well - following your experience here on CC was a factor in us booking, and now that we are getting ready to leave tomorrow your information on processes/procedures in entering Barbados was very helpful!  Thank you!!  We ended up making sure we are following all the details closely; we went through StageZero for our nasopharyngeal test (the nurse came to our house yesterday, and we got our results today).  We have copies of everything, as well as originals.  So looking forward to being back onboard Seabourn on Sunday!

I noticed that Seabourn had updated its Barbados Travel Requirements document last week, and upon comparing it to the prior versions which I had saved, I noticed this new addition which might prove helpful to some upcoming travelers:

Where can I get a viral COVID-19 test near me?
For U.S. guests, Seabourn has partnered with Quest Diagnostics to provide over 1,500 locations in the United States to schedule a no-cost* COVID-19 test appointment, with results delivered within 48 hours. Click here to find a testing location near you.

You can also contact your nearest health center, pharmacy, state health department, or transiting airport to learn more about their availability for COVID-19 testing.

* This COVID-19 no-cost-to-you program is available to eligible individuals for $0 out of pocket when billed to a health plan or the government.

I'd note that there is no link to click where it says "click here". It's also not clear to me what this "partnership" with Quest Diagnostics really is, since it seems Seabourn is not paying for the tests. It was my understanding that government and insurance company tests are not covered for free for leisure travel purposes, so I'm not sure I understand the claim. If anyone has more insight about testing through Quest Diagnostics, please share what you've found. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I noticed that Seabourn had updated its Barbados Travel Requirements document last week, and upon comparing it to the prior versions which I had saved, I noticed this new addition which might prove helpful to some upcoming travelers:

Where can I get a viral COVID-19 test near me?
For U.S. guests, Seabourn has partnered with Quest Diagnostics to provide over 1,500 locations in the United States to schedule a no-cost* COVID-19 test appointment, with results delivered within 48 hours. Click here to find a testing location near you.

You can also contact your nearest health center, pharmacy, state health department, or transiting airport to learn more about their availability for COVID-19 testing.

* This COVID-19 no-cost-to-you program is available to eligible individuals for $0 out of pocket when billed to a health plan or the government.

I'd note that there is no link to click where it says "click here". It's also not clear to me what this "partnership" with Quest Diagnostics really is, since it seems Seabourn is not paying for the tests. It was my understanding that government and insurance company tests are not covered for free for leisure travel purposes, so I'm not sure I understand the claim. If anyone has more insight about testing through Quest Diagnostics, please share what you've found. 

So this seems to refer to the normal Quest Diagnostic program which you can find on their own web site.  Anyone (this really has little to do with SB) can set up a personal Quest account and generally schedule COVID tests.  However, at least for those of us on Medicare you would normally need a physician's order (prescription) to get the test covered by insurance.  Whether you can get a "script" without having to pay for a physician appointment depends on your own healthcare provider.  One issue I noticed with Quest is that do not schedule appointments on Sundays and whether they are reliable in getting test results on time is an open question.

Hank

I agree, Hank. I'm really curious what has Seabourn actually done to partner with Quest Diagnostics? This was quietly slipped into the latest revision of Seabourn's web page for Barbados travel; it wasn't announced anywhere as some significant new program.

I'm pretty sure we'll be sticking with our plans to get tested in two weeks at a lab which does the test required by Barbados and promises 24 hour test results, and paying $100 each for the tests.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I noticed this new addition which might prove helpful to some upcoming travelers:

This is a good move by Seabourn to make the Barbados entry policy more clear.  We found it difficult to know for certain if the test provider meets the nasopharangeal/oropharangeal Barbados requirement - ones we reached out to were all doing the nasal swab that Barbados does not accept.  FWIW, we are super happy on board this week; testing should not keep anyone away if they want to experience a lightly loaded/fully staffed Seabourn experience.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruiseej said:

I agree, Hank. I'm really curious what has Seabourn actually done to partner with Quest Diagnostics? This was quietly slipped into the latest revision of Seabourn's web page for Barbados travel; it wasn't announced anywhere as some significant new program.

I'm pretty sure we'll be sticking with our plans to get tested in two weeks at a lab which does the test required by Barbados and promises 24 hour test results, and paying $100 each for the tests.

We hope you post how it all goes with that lab and if there are any issues when you enter Barbados.  We will be following your lead less then 2 weeks later.  I do have a routine appointment with my family physician later this month and will also ask him if he has any better ideas for a reliable test closer to home. 

Hank

For anyone who has been to Barbados this summer, I have two questions about airport logistics...

(1) I've booked the Fast Track arrival service on the recommendation of others, but now realize we have to get from the airport to our hotel! So... when you arrived in Barbados, did you have pre-booked transportation to your hotel? (If so, if you'd recommend the company you used, I'd appreciate the name.) Or was it okay to just get a taxi after clearing customs and immigration?

(2) I see that the same company which offers the Fast Track arrival service (St. James) also sells access to the airport Executive lounge for departure. Has anyone done this? If so: recommended, or a waste of money? (It's $31 US per person).

On 8/30/2021 at 12:59 PM, jscheff said:

Can anyone on the Odyssey report the number of guests on board this week?  I know the past several weeks they have been averaging around 70 people.  Just wondering how the trend is progressing as we move into September.

I'm going on the 9/20 sailing with two other couples. As of earlier this week when talking to Seabourn, there were only 35 staterooms booked on the ship!

16 hours ago, jeffbrig said:

I'm going on the 9/20 sailing with two other couples. As of earlier this week when talking to Seabourn, there were only 35 staterooms booked on the ship!

We are on the 9/26 sailing.  Is there a way to go look up the number of booked cabins, of do you just have to call and ask?

We booked our pre-departure test with the home visit company listed on the Seabourn site.  Pricey, but at least that gives me comfort that we are getting the "right" test.

@SDuckers We're on the same cruise with you. I don't think there's any way to see how many suites are booked. It's been pretty consistently under 100 passengers over the past two months, and it sounds like that will continue next week -- so I'm not expecting we'll see any huge influx the following week. See you on our yacht! 😉

28 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

@SDuckers We're on the same cruise with you. I don't think there's any way to see how many suites are booked. It's been pretty consistently under 100 passengers over the past two months, and it sounds like that will continue next week -- so I'm not expecting we'll see any huge influx the following week. See you on our yacht! 😉

I look forward to seeing and meeting you!  I am Sarah and my husband is Mark.  

On 9/9/2021 at 3:27 PM, cruiseej said:

There's a link to Quest Diagnostics on the Viking website too. 

1 hour ago, SDuckers said:

We are on the 9/26 sailing.  Is there a way to go look up the number of booked cabins, of do you just have to call and ask?

We booked our pre-departure test with the home visit company listed on the Seabourn site.  Pricey, but at least that gives me comfort that we are getting the "right" test.

Can't believe I wrote 9/20 instead of 9/19 for my sailing date 🤣....wish I could edit.  

Agree on being careful who you book for tests.  We booked with a company that specializes in rapid results tests specifically for international travel, to make sure we meet Barbados requirements.  We tried booking with Quest, but they are using drive thru self-administered tests, which DO NOT QUALIFY for Barbados.  I think the general partnership CCL has set up with Quest is targeting US/CDC cruise guidelines, not necessarily international sailings.

1 hour ago, SDuckers said:

I look forward to seeing and meeting you!  I am Sarah and my husband is Mark.  

Hi, Sarah. I'm Eric. Looks like there is very little activity in the roll call for our cruise. I guess if we have fewer than 200 people aboard, the odds of many of them being on Cruise Critic are pretty small.

Keeping fingers crossed for no last minute surprises, and negative Covid tests before and after arrival! See you onboard, I hope.

56 minutes ago, jeffbrig said:

Can't believe I wrote 9/20 instead of 9/19 for my sailing date 🤣....wish I could edit.  

Agree on being careful who you book for tests.  We booked with a company that specializes in rapid results tests specifically for international travel, to make sure we meet Barbados requirements.  We tried booking with Quest, but they are using drive thru self-administered tests, which DO NOT QUALIFY for Barbados.  I think the general partnership CCL has set up with Quest is targeting US/CDC cruise guidelines, not necessarily international sailings.

That's interesting about Quest. I have reservations for next week for our pre-departure tests with a company which sounds similar to yours. The good thing is that they promise results within 24 hours, so we're getting our tests 2 days before flying to Barbados rather than 3; if our flight is delayed or canceled -- we have a pretty tight connection in Miami -- we'll still have an extra day of eligibility to hopefully get there. 

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

we're getting our tests 2 days before flying to Barbados rather than 3; if our flight is delayed or canceled -- we have a pretty tight connection in Miami -- we'll still have an extra day of eligibility to hopefully get there. 

This is what's giving us the most grief.  Our says 24-48.  We're testing on Thursday for a Sunday departure.  I know PCR tests can return false positives.  We've been self-quarantining ahead of our tests, so my only concern is a false positive preventing us for getting cleared to travel.  Thursday test means we'll have guaranteed results by Saturday, and in case of a false positive, there's a 1hr PCR test available down in Miami (we're in Fort Lauderdale) if necessary to get cleared for a Sunday flight.  A flight delay sure would throw a wrench into things...

I will definitely sleep better once we have our test results.  I just got an email from  American Airlines yesterday, they require your Barbados approval before they will let you board.  Just gotta have everything in order.

1 hour ago, jeffbrig said:

This is what's giving us the most grief.  Our says 24-48.  We're testing on Thursday for a Sunday departure.  I know PCR tests can return false positives.  We've been self-quarantining ahead of our tests, so my only concern is a false positive preventing us for getting cleared to travel.  Thursday test means we'll have guaranteed results by Saturday, and in case of a false positive, there's a 1hr PCR test available down in Miami (we're in Fort Lauderdale) if necessary to get cleared for a Sunday flight.  A flight delay sure would throw a wrench into things...

I will definitely sleep better once we have our test results.  I just got an email from  American Airlines yesterday, they require your Barbados approval before they will let you board.  Just gotta have everything in order.

Yikes.  We are testing Thursday afternoon for an arrival in Barbados on Saturday.  I hope they results are in before we have to get on the plane in Miami!

2 hours ago, SDuckers said:

Yikes.  We are testing Thursday afternoon for an arrival in Barbados on Saturday.  I hope they results are in before we have to get on the plane in Miami!

Sarah, like you, we're doing our test two days before we depart. Our tests are on Wednesday afternoon, and we have a 7 a.m. Friday flight to Miami for our flight to Barbados that morning -- so we darn well better get our results as promised by the end of the day Thursday! I'm not sure if American will even let us board in Philadelphia if we don't have our test results, or if that will only be checked in Miami. I hope I don't need to pay for Internet service on the PHL-MIA flight to keep checking for our results and then to upload them to the BIMSafe app.

A drink when we get onboard is always welcome, but on this trip, the end of stress about getting there will make it doubly welcome. And will probably require at least a double drink!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1