Crazy for booking October Cruise?

Kmacht79

My wife and I are only able to get time off the week of October 11th and booked a cruise on the NCL Bliss from Seattle to Alaska before doing much detailed research.  It looks like most other cruise lines stop the last week of September and I am worried about things being open in October or having things to do in port in October.  I already realize that it will be cold and likely rainy but being from the Northeast 30's and 40's aren't that big of a deal to us and we already have the layers of clothes needed to be comfortable in those conditions.  For excursions we are likely looking at thinks like hiking and exploring in-town rather than things like whale watching or a helicopter tour.  Are we crazy for still going in October and will we be disappointed or will there still be enough around to do in-town?  I can't imagine everything being closed down with a cruise ship with 4000+ passengers docking.  Thoughts?

We will hopefully be sailing on the Celebrity Summit the month before you. I think your interests should work well with the temperatures/conditions. Hopefully snow won't impact your hiking plans, but on the other hand, you could ski,  board or snowshoe!🏂.

2 hours ago, Kmacht79 said:

My wife and I are only able to get time off the week of October 11th and booked a cruise on the NCL Bliss from Seattle to Alaska before doing much detailed research.  It looks like most other cruise lines stop the last week of September and I am worried about things being open in October or having things to do in port in October.  I already realize that it will be cold and likely rainy but being from the Northeast 30's and 40's aren't that big of a deal to us and we already have the layers of clothes needed to be comfortable in those conditions.  For excursions we are likely looking at thinks like hiking and exploring in-town rather than things like whale watching or a helicopter tour.  Are we crazy for still going in October and will we be disappointed or will there still be enough around to do in-town?  I can't imagine everything being closed down with a cruise ship with 4000+ passengers docking.  Thoughts?

The latest we've cruised is in early September and even then most shops are closing up for the season. Best of luck to you.

Daylight hours are very short in October.  In Juneau on October 11 sunrise is 7:24 .m., sunset 6:02.  One of the things that make Alaska a great cruise is the long daylight hours in which to view the awesome beauty.  You will be on a huge ship with lots to do in the evenings so be sure to spend  the daylight hours outside to enjoy the beauty.  Go, enjoy, but plan to come back in June or July when the daylight hours go on and on.  In Denali you can play a round  of golf at midnight during the summer.

Edited by oaktreerb

10 hours ago, Kmacht79 said:

Since you are sailing from Seattle, you may experience some heavy weather heading up and down to Alaska. Unless you are comfortable in rough seas, personally I would be more concerned with ship movement than temperature.

The latest I worked Alaska was middle of September and everything was already closing, with many of them moving back to the Caribbean.

I imagine NCL is probably the only ship left at that time going up to Alaska, as late season ships in Vancouver generally only did local area cruises. Unlikely businesses will remain open for a single ship that arrives for a few hours once per week.

Are you crazy, only you can answer that question. However, having worked on the PNW Coast for 35 years, we experienced at least the first major storm of the year by mid-October, most years. Certainly wouldn't be my choice of time to visit Alaska, even if they were paying me.

• Like 1

Cruise fares take a significant departure downward unlike prime time mid-summer

Those Last Cruises of the season can have some interesting itineraries - - -

I.E. - Vancouver -  *** add a glacier in here somewhere *** Juneau - Skagway - Ketchikan -

Victoria - Astoria - San Francisco and the ship takes 15 days more thru the Panama Canal

to start Caribbean cruises.

Yes some of the merchants will have packed it in for the season - but those that are open

will have fantastic offers - BOGO - Oh what the heck take 3 for the price of 1 (caution watch

your baggage weight and number limits on the airlines for the flight home)

Then there will be less guests roaming about (talk about distance spacing here !) nothing

like mid summer with 6 ships at Ketchikan (4 at the dock - 2 tendering) and mass herds

of folks in every nook and cranny.

While there maybe less shore excursions with fewer guests it should be a balanced event.

oaktreerb - - -

One of the things that make Alaska a great cruise is the long daylight hours in which to view the awesome beauty.  You will be on a huge ship with lots to do in the evenings so be sure to spend

the daylight hours outside to enjoy the beauty. 

xxxxx

Now the time tables are reversing - still yet maximize your daylight excursions and enjoy

night life on board shows entertainment - late evening wine and dining - come out on deck

to walk those calories away and weather permitting see the northern lights or the moon. 

Heidi13 - - -

we experienced at least the first major storm of the year by mid-October, most years. Certainly wouldn't be my choice of time to visit Alaska, even if they were paying me.

xxxxx

No aftermath hurricanes to worry about - maybe an influx of rainy and cooler weather -

But beware the ides of October flirting with whatever nature will throw your way and man has

messed with this global warming enough - be sure to be on the last ship leaving Dodge !  LOL !

Fall storms start in mid- to late September.  Gale force winds and up to 20 foot seas are normal.  Sometimes days of endless rain.  Sometimes beautiful, sunny days.  You take your chances in October.

If you are going this October, be prepared for pretty much everything to be closed down.  I would imagine, given the uncertainty still that there will even be an Alaska season combined with acute worker shortages across the country, it will be difficult to persuade people to come up to Alaska to work low-paying jobs with lousy living conditions for an 8-10 week season.

• Like 1

As a follow-up we cancelled the Alaska cruise last night and rebooked a Mediterranean cruise that same week.  The overall price was about the same.  The Mediterranean cruise itself was cheaper but airfare to Barcelona was more.  Maybe we will do Alaska one summer in the next few years.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Kmacht79 said:

As a follow-up we cancelled the Alaska cruise last night and rebooked a Mediterranean cruise that same week.  The overall price was about the same.  The Mediterranean cruise itself was cheaper but airfare to Barcelona was more.  Maybe we will do Alaska one summer in the next few years.

I suggest that is a very smart move. Enjoy the Meddy this year, as it way better late season than in the middle of summer. Less heat and way less crowds.

You can then enjoy Alaska at it's best in the future.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kmacht79 said:

The Med would be great in the fall!