What is in Icy Straight Point?

Locobill49

One of the highest longest fastest Zip Lines anywhere ah er rain or shine Wowzer !

I haven't done it - but my fellow cruisers reported of a stinging 60 mph ride in a rain

shower with nothing but a rain slicker for protection.

A short walk from the 1st pier (a second was in construction while I last visited) to

the Icy Strait Point pier (old tendering dock) - the new 2nd pier looks to be about the

same short walk.

At Icy Strait Point pier there is a replication ? of a salmon canning factory.

Touristo shops restaurant fast snack food and that Zip Line - - -

Shuttle buses or a mile or so long walk into Hoonah for other more serious excursion activity

YES it is not Skagway with the WPYRR train rides to and over the Summit border with Canada

but a similar lay out with a mile long main street and a couple of blocks either side of that.

There are tours that bypass all the history of walking side streets - realizing that these small

communities become almost ghost towns in the winter months - seasonal help gone -

cruises done with - nothing but warm fires northern lights and long nights. 

And like Northern Aurora just commented - No Diamonds jewelry or commercialize venues

on the scale of Ketchikan. 

• Like 2

Other than a whale watch tour (which is always fun), a bear/wildlife search, and if you're not into zip lining (I'm not), I really enjoyed the Cooking in Alaska's Wildest Kitchen.  Fun, informative and tasty 🙂

Or just walk around town - and see whales, seals, and eagles for free.  

• Like 1

Sorry...but personally I would be a bit disappointed to have ISP replace Skagway. Have been to both a few times and always enjoy the opportunity to take the WPRR.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AKStafford said:

Looking at the Hoonah web site, it appears to me that the Cultural Show/Performance may still be offered.  There is a photo of that as part of the Tlinget Canoe and Cultural tour.  I certainly hope so because that was one of the highlights of my visit to Icy Strait Point.  

13 minutes ago, ROCruiser said:

We loved ISP! We were there on our transpacific cruise a couple of years back and it is now my favorite stop in Alaska. Here are some pictures of our day there if interested. Looking forward to go back in September if it's a go!

What wonderful photos and commentary!  I appreciate your efforts to share these photos.  They brought back many fond memories of my visit to Icy Point Strait.  

I remember the walkway from the ship to the shore to be long, but it looks to me that they have added an additional section or two since I was there. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

What wonderful photos and commentary!  I appreciate your efforts to share these photos.  They brought back many fond memories of my visit to Icy Point Strait.  

I remember the walkway from the ship to the shore to be long, but it looks to me that they have added an additional section or two since I was there. 

Thank you so much for the kind words. Keeping the blog helps refreshing my memories of our trips. If you go to the "Home" page, you will find all the places we have been in the last 10 years. Thanks again!

I really enjoy Icy Strait/Hoonah.  Excellent whale watching, a great zip line, Native Tlingit culture, and a lack of tacky tourist shops that you find in every other port in Alaska.  Venture into Hoonah and see a real Alaska working town.

19 hours ago, AKStafford said:

In the picture of "local carvers at work", the guy in the yellow shirt was my shop & social studies teacher in high school. Amazing guy, very talented woodworker. 

Wow! Thank you for pointing that out. That's amazing!

• 2 weeks later...

For ISP we have 2 options in times for a whale watching trip - 1pm or 4pm. Any different (besides the obvious) between the 2 or recommendations on the timing for one vs the other?

We're leaning towards the earlier one so we can walk the 1.5 miles into town afterwards for some food and beer, then take our time walking back.

Or are there shuttles that will go between Hoonah and the pier?

On 6/19/2021 at 2:53 PM, Heather1972 said:

Is the gondola built in icy straight point? Searching the net, it’s not clear. 

Gondola?  Did you say gondola?  Woo-hoo!

It looks like there's a facebook page on the project.  Mt Top Gondola.  Last update March 2020.

Edited by quack2