American Duchess, Red Wing to Alton, July 11-19

BillNY

We won't be with you, but will be cruising on the Duchess August 1-16 from Red Wing to New Orleans. It will be our first time with AQSC so hope you will post and tell us your experiences on the cruise and what you think of the riverboat. We are also anxious to resume traveling after having so many plans for the past year canceled. I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

My mom and I did a trip the New Orleans to Memphis trip on the Duchess in October 2019. I loved that little boat!  If you go outside to the front of the boat just outside the fitness room and Perks, there was a couch there with no rail in front of it because there are stairs going down right there.  I could have sat there all day and watched the scenery go by.  Feel free to come back and tell us all about the trips!

My husband and I will be on the trip from Alton up to Red Wing. It will be our first time on the AD, but have been on the AQ and AE several times. It too will be our first cruise since February, 2020 and we're more than ready to travel the rivers of America again.

On 6/5/2021 at 10:42 PM, 40yearcruiser said:

We won't be with you, but will be cruising on the Duchess August 1-16 from Red Wing to New Orleans. It will be our first time with AQSC so hope you will post and tell us your experiences on the cruise and what you think of the riverboat. We are also anxious to resume traveling after having so many plans for the past year canceled. I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

Thanks and I hope your cruise is great as well!

We have sailed on the Duchess once before and also once on the Queen. The trip on the Duchess was unique; the paddle wheel fell off! (Our review: https://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=678984&et_cid=3214775&et_rid=17087573&et_referrer=Contest_PaulGauguin_May2013)

We were impressed with how the crew and the corporate office dealt with this unusual situation. 

The Duchess isn’t a “true riverboat experience” like the Queen, but we loved it. It is smaller (about 170 passengers, if memory serves), which we liked. 

Please feel free free to ask any questions you may have, and I will do my best to answer them. 

15 hours ago, Calliope said:

My husband and I will be on the trip from Alton up to Red Wing. It will be our first time on the AD, but have been on the AQ and AE several times. It too will be our first cruise since February, 2020 and we're more than ready to travel the rivers of America again.

Yes, we were on what I believe was the last ocean cruise before the pandemic in March 2020, and it is time to travel again. I see you have a Mark Twain quote in your signature; is your trip also with the “Mark Twain’s  Mississippi” theme? When is your trip? 

19 hours ago, califsealion said:

My mom and I did a trip the New Orleans to Memphis trip on the Duchess in October 2019. I loved that little boat!  If you go outside to the front of the boat just outside the fitness room and Perks, there was a couch there with no rail in front of it because there are stairs going down right there.  I could have sat there all day and watched the scenery go by.  Feel free to come back and tell us all about the trips!

Ahh, we have to check out your “secret” spot. It sounds like a great place to relax and enjoy! 

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Calliope said:

Just got our docs yesterday  for the trip up to Red Wing. We're certainly looking forward to an exciting adventure on an old river by a new boat.

Have you heard that, as of July 1, AQSC is not requiring a pre cruise COVID test, (except for sailings out of Washington state, where it is required by state law)?

Are you sailing right after our trip (July 18)?