Just returned from 9 days in Progreso

We just returned from an AMAZING 9 days in the Progreso, Mexico area. As cruisers, this can be a difficult port to figure out how to best spend your time. I have visited 4 times via Carnival ship & this was our first land based trip here. We fell in LOVE with the area on cruises, and when our May cruise on Horizon canceled, we decided to fly here. 

I'm here to offer to answer any questions, give info about what there is to do in the area etc. If you don't do your research & plan ahead, you are likely to miss all the beauty the Yucatan has to offer. Beach, ruins, cenotes, traditional culture in an extremely safe area of Mexico..but the real beauty here lies in the local people. They are hospitable, gracious & anxious to share their culture with you. We speak very little Spanish & were able to communicate fairly well with some help from Google translate. 

We stayed in a beautiful beach house, 10min from the Progreso Port cruise pier bridge in a beautiful small beach community. In our 9 days we: explored 9 cenotes, visited an abandoned hacienda, went to 2 sets of magnificent ruins (Uxmal & Chichen Itza), went in shore fishing for tarpon, shopped in local markets in several small villages, spent an amazing day in a small village with a local Mayan family, got to know the entire port area of Progreso including the Malecon, spent a day in Merdia (a stunning city with a mix of Spanish colonial culture/architecture & modern), took a horse drawn rail ride to cenotes, took tuk tuk taxis all around the beach area, and...so much more. We ate all but 1 meal at local markets, small roadside restaurants, and with local families..very authentic. No one got sick at all. It's very safe. 

I am more than willing to answer any questions anyone may have about what to do when visiting this port. I have friends there in the tourism industry that I can put you in touch with upon request. 

The Yucatan really is one of the most unique places we've ever visited. There is SO MUCH to do & explore. And the best part is that it is an EXTREMELY safe port to venture out & find your own adventure. We can't wait to go back!

• Like 4

Thanks for sharing your experience! I tremendously enjoyed my visit to Progreso for many of the same reasons that you mention. It’s authentic, there’s so much to do beyond the shore, and the people are truly welcoming and wonderful. I personally prefer Progreso over Cozumel. As I’ve so many times read here on Cruise Critic: Cozumel is for tourists, Progreso is for travelers. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2021 at 12:16 PM, amanda219 said:

We just returned from an AMAZING 9 days in the Progreso, Mexico area. As cruisers, this can be a difficult port to figure out how to best spend your time. I have visited 4 times via Carnival ship & this was our first land based trip here. We fell in LOVE with the area on cruises, and when our May cruise on Horizon canceled, we decided to fly here. 

I'm here to offer to answer any questions, give info about what there is to do in the area etc. If you don't do your research & plan ahead, you are likely to miss all the beauty the Yucatan has to offer. Beach, ruins, cenotes, traditional culture in an extremely safe area of Mexico..but the real beauty here lies in the local people. They are hospitable, gracious & anxious to share their culture with you. We speak very little Spanish & were able to communicate fairly well with some help from Google translate. 

We stayed in a beautiful beach house, 10min from the Progreso Port cruise pier bridge in a beautiful small beach community. In our 9 days we: explored 9 cenotes, visited an abandoned hacienda, went to 2 sets of magnificent ruins (Uxmal & Chichen Itza), went in shore fishing for tarpon, shopped in local markets in several small villages, spent an amazing day in a small village with a local Mayan family, got to know the entire port area of Progreso including the Malecon, spent a day in Merdia (a stunning city with a mix of Spanish colonial culture/architecture & modern), took a horse drawn rail ride to cenotes, took tuk tuk taxis all around the beach area, and...so much more. We ate all but 1 meal at local markets, small roadside restaurants, and with local families..very authentic. No one got sick at all. It's very safe. 

I am more than willing to answer any questions anyone may have about what to do when visiting this port. I have friends there in the tourism industry that I can put you in touch with upon request. 

The Yucatan really is one of the most unique places we've ever visited. There is SO MUCH to do & explore. And the best part is that it is an EXTREMELY safe port to venture out & find your own adventure. We can't wait to go back!

did you rent a car at all?

No and that was really our only issue while there. We had one booked via booking.com. I did my research, found one I liked, researched their site etc etc.

Our Amex provides rental insurance but you have to decline their's. We did. It was a no go from there.

1st the vehicle we booked "wasn't returned" on time so not available. Our friend from the area was at the airport with us when the rep from rental company met us and was able to translate. "No worries, we can rent you this van at same cost. Let's go to the office 2 blocks away."

We went in the van. Our friend was coming within minutes with his wife.

They told us since we declined their insurance they would need to place a $13k hold on our card. Ummm...no. I did research. Hold should have been about 20k pesos ($1k.) They kept trying to get us to swipe card.

Friend showed up, translated, took charge & told them no thanks. We left & our friend was able to drive us entire time. 

We were fortunate to have a different option. Be careful what company you rent from there. I will definitely have to get a better game plan for next trip.u

• 2 months later...

Thanks for your report! We do love the Merida area and plan to visit Progresso one day from our home in the RM..
We always book local rentals directly so no surprises, and we always use their CDW, loss, and liability coverage even though our cc can cover CDW and loss. For us it’s the comfort of having primary insurance with us if something happens - just a personal preference even after renting and driving here for several years. At very least I would suggest using their third-party liability coverage…Did you also decline that?
Most agencies do put a hold until you return the vehicle, it’s usually $16k but that also depends on the area you are in, and the agency..

Edited by blue_water
Typo

• 1 month later...
On 6/4/2021 at 10:16 AM, amanda219 said:

When you explored Chichen Itza did you use a local tour guide?  Any infomation in seeing Chichen Itza from the port in Progreso is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Travelfan527

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2021 at 10:16 AM, amanda219 said:

We so agree with this.   Our last winter trip, pre covid was Mexico.  Spent a few days in Merida, took the local bus to Progresso for the day.  We had planned on booking in Progresso for  a few days but instead managed to scoop up a last minute 5 day AI stay in Playa.  Next time, we intend to get a place in Progresso for a week.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2021 at 11:13 PM, doctordi said:

I'm interested in what you did while I'm Merida. I'm thinking of taking an excursion there during my next stop in Progresso. I'd like to be zble go explore on my own a little bit, and maybe get lunch.

Sorry I missed this…
The old part of Merida is just a nice area to walk. There is the Cathedral which is amazing to see first-hand, as well as other interesting churches. And of course the parks where you can meet people or just stroll the gardens.

http://catedraldemerida.org.mx/

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...