anyone in favor of eliminating all status programs

luckyinpa

20 hours ago, luckyinpa said:

i'm so tired of virus posts so this will be something different

so i'm curious who thinks it's a good idea to eliminate all status programs.  

No, I don't. I don't want to give up my free internet minutes and a few other, lesser things.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

I’m all for equal!!!
i just want most to be not quite as equal. 🤡

Unfortunately the new definition of "equal" is to lower standards to the lowest possible denominator.

Hank

• Like 4

Many of the loyalty status perks do not interest us.

However if discounts off the cruise fare were offered, more people might be interested ..obviously not expecting huge percentages but maybe an additional 2% after  20 nights, 3% after 30 nights, 4% after 40 nights etc. Not sure how the figures would stack up as far as corporate would be concerned but more useful to us !

4 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

If they are set aside, they are not public.  But it really does not matter - you get what you are willing to pay for.  In my experience, NCL seems to have the least public space per passenger -I think they are designed to maximize revenue by having more revenue-producing cabins vs. Cunard which has many bars, lounges, common spaces, etc.  And at least one poster on CC complained that the bars were “dead”.   I prefer a bar I can walk into and have a bit of space - and really do not like being cheek by jowl.  

It would be pretty sad to not have the option to perhaps spend a bit more to get something you prefer.  One size does not fit all (unless you are happier in a Fahrenheit 451 sort of environment where such things are decided for you).

That was exactly my point in that private spaces aren't public and never have been on RCI.

Yes...my choice to opt for a suite for many reasons of which are for the room and amenities it provides..not the perks once I leave my cabin.

The only thing that irks me about the loyalty programs was hearing so many announcements (by cruise directors or other emcees) regarding some status gathering or special dinner with officers or some such. The daily events sheets were filled with them, too. It just gets tedious hearing about something being billed as special and realizing you and most others aren't invited. Small annoyance overall, but maybe I am really just tired of announcements in general!

Edited by mayleeman

1 hour ago, Reina del Mar said:

Many of the loyalty status perks do not interest us.

However if discounts off the cruise fare were offered, more people might be interested ..obviously not expecting huge percentages but maybe an additional 2% after  20 nights, 3% after 30 nights, 4% after 40 nights etc. Not sure how the figures would stack up as far as corporate would be concerned but more useful to us !

Loyalty programs are intended to boost revenues, not cut them - which is what fare discounts would accomplish.  The lines are pretty clever at making a big thing about something that costs them very little.

• Like 2

On 6/5/2021 at 11:08 AM, mayleeman said:

The only thing that irks me about the loyalty programs was hearing so many announcements (by cruise directors or other emcees) regarding some status gathering or special dinner with officers or some such. The daily events sheets were filled with them, too. It just gets tedious hearing about something being billed as special and realizing you and most others aren't invited. Small annoyance overall, but maybe I am really just tired of announcements in general!

Meh, I always find these kinda funny. The announcements are irritating, I agree with that but seeing a bunch of people scurry over for their "free" snack or a "free" drink is kinda funny. Crying about not getting some "free" strawberries, a "free" cheap $4 bottle of wine, or some "free" cheap trinket is also very entertaining. Expectations and attitudes over "free" stuff isn't how I'd want to spend my cruise anyway. You have access to all those things already, all over the ship. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2021 at 4:34 PM, SelectSys said:

I find the wearing of pins fascinating

I wear my HAL Mariner Society or Princess' Captain's Circle pin during Embarkation and during that first day.  It's just my perception, but there are times when I think it did make a minor difference.

The Medallions that HAL Mariner Society members receive:  I wear them during the Mariner Society luncheon when I receive one; maybe for dinner that evening.  Then, they go back into their box and won't see the light of day again.  I find them ostentatious to wear regularly.  But, I had a tablemate who had many more HAL cruises than I will ever have and she wore her highest level Medallion on every formal evening.  And, she was as nice and down to earth person one would ever care to meet.  

I don’t mind the fact that loyalty programs exist. But the people who post about them constantly do annoy me.

agree with someone else, half the posts start with ‘I elite/diamond/whatever and they did this to me’... being indignant that they got treated the same as every other passenger when they should have gotten something ‘special’

and the other half are about the fact they feel like their programs are losing value. And the best one was where in one thread the posters both complained that the lounge for the elite happy hour was too crowded AND were upset that they were now putting the drinks straight on those people’s cards so they could go to any bar instead of the separate lounge. Drinks in any bar wasn’t special enough.

perhaps there could be a different forum for people to discuss all the loyalty issues. 

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

I don’t mind the fact that loyalty programs exist. But the people who post about them constantly do annoy me.

agree with someone else, half the posts start with ‘I elite/diamond/whatever and they did this to me’... being indignant that they got treated the same as every other passenger when they should have gotten something ‘special’

and the other half are about the fact they feel like their programs are losing value. And the best one was where in one thread the posters both complained that the lounge for the elite happy hour was too crowded AND were upset that they were now putting the drinks straight on those people’s cards so they could go to any bar instead of the separate lounge. Drinks in any bar wasn’t special enough.

perhaps there could be a different forum for people to discuss all the loyalty issues. 

I'm going to go to a couple of grocery stores I frequent and complain that I don't get to cut in line. It's not fair, I spend thousands and thousands there annually and have to wait in line like everybody else, some of whom may only spend a couple grand a year, or even worse, mere hundreds at those stores. I spends double digit thousands, I'm special.

In fact, I'm going to not be loyal to McDonalds anymore either. They had the nerve to take away my "free extra cheese" and actually want to start charging me for it. I'm going to start going to Five Guys now and spend much more for my burgers. That will show them!  

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Haha 1

On 6/4/2021 at 1:06 PM, luckyinpa said:

In the old days when I began cruising there was no such thing as loyalty programs.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

In the old days when I began cruising there was no such thing as loyalty programs.

LOL.  Guess we are both old as dirt as I also remember those days.

Hank

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

LOL.  Guess we are both old as dirt as I also remember those days.

Hank

My step-grand-nieces (4 years old) once asked me how old I am. "As old as the hills," I replied in my most venerable voice. A couple hours later I heard one whispering to her mom: "Mom, how old are the hills?" Cracked me up...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/4/2021 at 2:56 PM, ldubs said:

Gnomed

On 6/4/2021 at 4:26 PM, navybankerteacher said:

Is that when a genome gets gnawed?

haha, say it fast five times!  

5 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

…I'm going to start going to Five Guys now and spend much more for my burgers. That will show them!  

It will be money far better spent.

But if you desert McDonalds, that will be one less person eating my share of the “billions and billions sold” - (I only ever had one or two) and I am starting to wonder if it is ethical to leave the job to others.  

• Haha 2

On 6/4/2021 at 1:06 PM, luckyinpa said:

We book our cruises based on the itinerary and price that work for us. If we happen to get something from the cruise line for that, good. If not, we don't care enough about such things to allow it to sway our decision. 

• Like 3

We are Platinum on Carnival and the big perk for us is 3 laundry bags per person for the cruise (although we usually pack for the entire week and the laundry doesn’t seem necessary).  My DW had aspirations of Diamond until we tried Celebrity (see below)

We are Ruby on Princess which is almost nothing (even Platinum doesn’t seem like a big deal).

We don’t see that we get enough benefit that prevents us from venturing out.  This is how we stumbled upon Celebrity last March (Edge on 3/8 to 15) and it was probably the best cruise we’ve ever been on

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth

14 hours ago, mayleeman said:

My step-grand-nieces (4 years old) once asked me how old I am. "As old as the hills," I replied in my most venerable voice. A couple hours later I heard one whispering to her mom: "Mom, how old are the hills?" Cracked me up...

The "Hills Are Alive With the Sound of Music", but I have no idea how old they are.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Which came first: the hills, or the sound of music?

I don't know. Should we have a poll?

If I had to guess, I'll say the hills. And then people came to the hills to make hillbilly music.