My saddest cruise memory from 2020!

Host CMLA

Hi there!  I know most of us didn't cruise in 2020 but we still had sad cruise memories.  For me, it was the cancellation of our Radiance Transatlantic that was supposed to depart on June 11, 2020.  I'd already bought the shirts and everything.  Now when I wear the shirt around the house, I'm reminded of my missed cruise. 

Anyone else? 

I actually did cruise in 2020.  I got off the Magic on January 4, 2020.  Seems so looooooong ago.....

20210603_085734.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Mine was my April 2020 cruise. I paid for cruise parking ahead of time. I went to the book store and loaded up on my favorite authors, packed sundries, printed off my cruise boarding and cruise stuff.

I keep getting reminded of it because I then moved parking to January 2021. Surely that was far enough out. ..ooops. almost forgot, I've got to ask to move it again. I was booked in April 2021, but I put it way out to sept 2021 to make sure. At this point its use it or lose it after 3 dates. 

• Like 2

We were supposed to fly to London for a day before cruising to the Norwegian fjords. We had a back to Heathrow airport excursion pre-booked that included Stonehenge, definitely on our bucket list.

I saw the writing on the wall and cancelled with only a refundable deposit and the excursion we booked having been paid. The cruise line waited until after final payment was due to make their own cancellation.

• Like 3

Actually I was lucky and I got to cruise in Feb 2020, but had to reschedule my cruise in Oct 2020, so I guess I can't complain. My saddest thing in 2020 was getting off of the ship and then the virus starting hitting ships a month later and then the shutdown.

cruisy.jpg

• Like 2

Hubby and I had booked an Ocean Suite on the Pride for our 25th anniversary in April 2020.  Our honeymoon was a cruise, so this was going to be extra special.  We booked it very far out for us and I had a countdown on my office cube wall.  Right before we left the office for the pandemic, I erased the numbers and put in question marks.  

We rebooked another April 2021 cruise, which of course didn't happen.  Currently booked on Mardi Gras, April 2022, among a few others, so fingers crossed, third times a charm! 😊

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, bumorgan said:

We booked Alaska 2 years prior to May 2020 cruise. Cruise was of course cancelled. booked for May 2021 but Canada remained close sooo we are booked for May 2022 fingers crossed.

hope so.  you know the saying THIRD TIME IS THE CHARM.  perhaps try for Sept of this year if you can

• Like 2

We booked the Panorama, (Havana Cabana suite), for May 2020.  We planned on going with my brother-in-law and his husband. We were going to fly in early to go to Disneyland and spend some time with family. 

2 hours ago, princess76021 said:

our 50th anniversary cruise 😔😭😪 in March 2020,  then our 51st anniversary cruise in March 2021!!!

That stinks!  Congratulations on 50 years!  That's wonderful!  We'll celebrate 25 this fall.  In some ways it seems like yesterday.

• Like 2

Having a fantastic and fun filled family cruise on Panorama late Jan 2020 and then falling seriously ill upon returning home. I couldn't breath and thought I was going to die/pass out a few times as I couldn't catch my breath, breathing was very labored and I was too ill to get up or call for help. I haven't been that sick since I was a small kid and had a very bad bout of broncular asthma that nearly took me also. Was completely wiped for three days. Wife ended up with a cough for three months that Dr's couldn't explain. There were no covid tests then (wasn't even on our radar) and we still aren't sure entirely what happened. That said, we are ready to go sailing again and have 2022/2023/2024 already booked! 😁    

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, princess76021 said:

our 50th anniversary cruise 😔😭😪 in March 2020,  then our 51st anniversary cruise in March 2021!!!

I missed my 50th birthday cruise to Bermuda in August 2020.  In March, when cruising stopped, I never imagined it wouldn't be back by late August. 

• Like 3

We were lucky to get two cruises in last year, including one to the ABC islands.  We jumped on the Mariner in late February, knowing it would be our last cruise for a while.  But I thought a while was months, not over a year.  So I booked cruises for July, August, September, you get the idea. So 14 cruises cancelled so far.  But we look to be back SOON.  Two cruises booked in July, so fingers and toes are crossed. 

My saddest cruise memory from last year didn't come from Carnival.  Two weeks before my cruise on the Grand Princess (insert dramatic music), Princess sent me a cute e-mail telling me about the entertainment that would be on the ship.  It was cool and all, but I knew I'd never see any of it - and I didn't, as the cruise was formally canceled a few days later. 😪

11 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Having a fantastic and fun filled family cruise on Panorama late Jan 2020 and then falling seriously ill upon returning home. I couldn't breath and thought I was going to die/pass out a few times as I couldn't catch my breath, breathing was very labored and I was too ill to get up or call for help. I haven't been that sick since I was a small kid and had a very bad bout of broncular asthma that nearly took me also. Was completely wiped for three days. Wife ended up with a cough for three months that Dr's couldn't explain. There were no covid tests then (wasn't even on our radar) and we still aren't sure entirely what happened. That said, we are ready to go sailing again and have 2022/2023/2024 already booked! 😁    

I had almost the exact same experience.  Got off CCL Magic 0n 2/1/20, and 2 days later was soooo sick.  Bad headache, fever of 103, cough, hard to breathe, etc.  My doc took flu and strep test - nada.  Gave me a z-pack.  Had a bad cough that stayed for 3 weeks.  Have never had anything like that.  Then my Magic cruise for March 2020 was cancelled, as were a few more.  Looking forward to January 2022 when I cruise on Freedom.

• Like 1

I was lucky to get in a cruise in January 2020.  I had a cruise booked for early May 2020 out of New Orleans.  Had booked a hotel, was going to spend a few days in a new city, and the cruise was going to go to a new port for me.  That cruise, of course, was cancelled.  I had one booked for Sept 2020 that was cancelled.  Early in the pandemic, I booked one for February 2021 and rescheduled the May 2020 for May 2021.  Both cancelled.  I need a vacation. 

I have one booked for October 2021.  I'm hopeful it will sail 🙂 

I was fortunate to cruise on Panorama last year. I believe it was the next to last cruise  panorama did. We were held on the ship an extra day due to a COVID-19 scare.

The most upsetting cancellation was either the first or second one. It was late June. But it was for Breeze in February 2021. It wasn’t due to covid it was due to delays in the shipyard for Radiance. Instead of canceling radiance cruises they were cancelling breeze and giving people who booked radiance rooms on breeze. My Breeze cruse was the San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Kitts, Grand Turk route. I had only been to Grand Turk.

I wanted to do that route in 2019 on Magic but all of the good rooms were booked and the prices were high. So I booked just a six day Nassau, Amber Cove, Grand Turk on Magic that year and booked the other route on Breeze 2 years out. That way I got the better room at a better price. I’m trying it again. In the fall I booked the San Juan, St. Maarten, St. Kitts, Grand Turk route on Magic for 2023. I booked that one to be the weekend after the Super Bowl but now the NFL has added a week to the season and I believe it’s going to be a Super Bowl cruise. Another new experience for me but it kind of messes up my super bowl party. 

• Like 1

June of 2020 was going to be a once in a lifetime gathering of 5 couples and 3 kids, so it would have been 13 of us cruising together.   One couple and their son would have been on their first cruise, while  another couple would have only been on their second.  The other 3 families are experienced cruisers.   But the coordination process will not occur since the kids are getting older and coordinating vacations for 5 families is a major chore.   A great vacation down the tubes, similar to some threads on CC, lol.

Edited by SNJCruisers
  • Like 1

We scheduled an April cruise with our adult children. That didn't happen, so we scheduled a New Year's Eve cruise (would have been a first for us), which also didn't happen.

DW and I could jump on something with short notice, but the kids need to plan around work.

On 6/4/2021 at 2:44 PM, Host CMLA said:

Hi there!  I know most of us didn't cruise in 2020 but we still had sad cruise memories.  For me, it was the cancellation of our Radiance Transatlantic that was supposed to depart on June 11, 2020.  I'd already bought the shirts and everything.  Now when I wear the shirt around the house, I'm reminded of my missed cruise. 

Anyone else? 

I actually did cruise in 2020.  I got off the Magic on January 4, 2020.  Seems so looooooong ago.....

20210603_085734.jpg

Hi 

We we’re supposed to go on the Radiance out of Barcelona😢last year cancelled! We tried on the fall legend and also this year both were cancelled😢
Now we are booked for  the Pride next year.

In case is cancelled again we are going on another cruise line. 
Isa