9 minutes ago, Heidi13 said:

Now there is a name from the past. When I knew him he was but a S/2/O and was the Cadet Training Officer on SS Oriana, when I was a lowly Cadet. Had heard he left P&O and moved to HAL. Never sailed with him as Captain, but he was a great watchkeeping officer.

Captain Harris was one of the most guest oriented Masters with whom I have sailed.  He kept us well informed as to what was taking place and many of the issues and events that this Maiden Cruise was experiencing.  His "Voice from the Bridge" reports at Noon with our great Cruise Director was, often, a comedy show.  Guests would be laughing; the MDR Stewards would be chuckling.  The Captain's comments after we had dropped our last Chinese pilot when leaving Xiamen, after a series of snafus with Chinese Immigration/Customs/Officials of various stripes, etc. was memorable; funny; we all learned of his frustrations experienced during our port calls in China.  

It's my understanding that he transferred to Seabourn.  I assume he has retired by now.  

Some of us on that cruise have an unanswered question for the Captain.  During the Welcome to Tokyo Ceremony in the Wajang Theater because of the Volendam's Maiden Arrival, an exchange of gifts occurred.  The ship received a plaque and a beautiful Geisha doll, about 3 feet tall, in a plastic case.  Cruise guests were invited to attend the ceremony; he told us that he would have the doll displayed on the Front Counter so that we could have a better look as well as to share it with those guests who did not attend the ceremony.  It never appeared.  Several years later, I sailed with the Hotel Manager who was on my cruise and asked him if he knew what happened to that doll.  He did not know what happened to that doll.  The plaque the Volendam received is mounted on a wall.  But, what happened to that doll?  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Captain Harris was one of the most guest oriented Masters with whom I have sailed.  He kept us well informed as to what was taking place and many of the issues and events that this Maiden Cruise was experiencing.  His "Voice from the Bridge" reports at Noon with our great Cruise Director was, often, a comedy show.  Guests would be laughing; the MDR Stewards would be chuckling.  The Captain's comments after we had dropped our last Chinese pilot when leaving Xiamen, after a series of snafus with Chinese Immigration/Customs/Officials of various stripes, etc. was memorable; funny; we all learned of his frustrations experienced during our port calls in China.  

It's my understanding that he transferred to Seabourn.  I assume he has retired by now.  

Some of us on that cruise have an unanswered question for the Captain.  During the Welcome to Tokyo Ceremony in the Wajang Theater because of the Volendam's Maiden Arrival, an exchange of gifts occurred.  The ship received a plaque and a beautiful Geisha doll, about 3 feet tall, in a plastic case.  Cruise guests were invited to attend the ceremony; he told us that he would have the doll displayed on the Front Counter so that we could have a better look as well as to share it with those guests who did not attend the ceremony.  It never appeared.  Several years later, I sailed with the Hotel Manager who was on my cruise and asked him if he knew what happened to that doll.  He did not know what happened to that doll.  The plaque the Volendam received is mounted on a wall.  But, what happened to that doll?  

Affirmative, I would think he has been retired for a few years. He was a at least 10 yrs older than me, so should be in his 70's.

Haven't had any contact with him and haven't seen his name on the annual P&O/Princess retiree luncheon. I have only made it to 1, but still receive the invites and list of attendees.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

We have done 5 or 6 TransAtlantic / TransPacific cruises. We just love the rest and relaxation of the days at sea. Only been in one significant storm, and while the ship did roll and pitch up and down - it was in no way concerning. The captan did reroute the ship and miss one port stop to miss the eye of the storm. He kept us well informed and updated us several times a day as the weather /sea state changed. We actually liked sleeping in the rocking boat. My wife puts on a patch - for every cruise - just in case - and has never had an issue with seasickness. 

TAs & TPs are really about days at sea days,  The fact that the repositioning cruises - which is what the vast majority of TA & TPs are, are (typically) less expensive (per day) is just a really nice bonus.  We really search for cruise sets where I can go in one direction, stay for a couple of days or a week, then catch another cruise on the away back - but they are hard to find.

• Like 1