First Saga Cruise

ann141

2 hours ago, ann141 said:

Just booked our first Saga cruise, The Glorious Canary Islands in Jan 2022.Any advice or tips welcome 🙂 

I won't tell anyone on the P&O forum!

• Haha 1

Always good to try other lines.

Saga is fast becoming a favourite with us. 

We have just booked a cruise with Viking for this Saturday 12th the price was too good to turn down 🙂

Variety is the spice of life or so it’s said. 

There’s lots of information on this forum if you search but if there’s anything specific you need to know ask away.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Glenndale said:

Always good to try other lines.

Saga is fast becoming a favourite with us. 

We have just booked a cruise with Viking for this Saturday 12th the price was too good to turn down 🙂

Variety is the spice of life or so it’s said. 

There’s lots of information on this forum if you search but if there’s anything specific you need to know ask away.

Thank you.We have cruised with various lines but looking forward to trying Saga

We used to sail mainly with Fred. Olsen but went on our first cruise with Saga in 2019 and loved it, and we have two more cruises booked with them.  Saga’s prices compare favourably with Fred’s, and so much is included.  Viking is also on our bucket list.  As Glenndale said, variety is the spice of life!

Having cruised with Fred Olsen many times, but admittedly not for years there is  no comparison with Saga - Saga is just so much 'classier' in every way.  I do not mean people are snobs, far from it, but the whole atmosphere and what is included as well as the quality,  particularly of the two new ships,  is miles ahead of Fred.  I would have thought Fred would be much cheaper, however - surprised if it is not.

On 6/8/2021 at 4:03 PM, lincslady said:

Having cruised with Fred Olsen many times, but admittedly not for years there is  no comparison with Saga - Saga is just so much 'classier' in every way.  I do not mean people are snobs, far from it, but the whole atmosphere and what is included as well as the quality,  particularly of the two new ships,  is miles ahead of Fred.  I would have thought Fred would be much cheaper, however - surprised if it is not.

Just done a bit of quick checking. Fred is 20 to 30 % cheaper than Saga.

Fred’s two ‘new’ ships, Bolette and Bolearis have terrace cabins which open onto the promenade deck.  These are described as balcony cabins, but there is no private balcony.  The lowest grade of cabin with a private balcony is described as a Balcony Junior Suite.  The size is very similar to the standard balcony cabins on Saga ships.  When comparing prices of these cabins, Saga often seems better value, given what is included.  It depends on the itinerary of course!  Although we are converts to Saga, we will still keep Fred in mind, as he offers some interesting itineraries.

20 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

Unless you are able to 100% match the itinerary and cabin type, I'm not sure that it is possible to make that sort of claim. And you need to take into account the fact that Saga prices are considerably cheaper at launch than later on. For example, we couldn't afford the price currently quoted for our Baltic cruise in September 2022, but the price was very attractive when we booked at launch.  

You also gave to take into account the extras provided by Saga, including insurance, transfer to and from the cruise, free drinks and speciality restaurants,  free excursions etc.

I'm not saying that Fred is more expensive than Saga, but to baldly state that Saga are 20% or 30% more expensive is a bit of a stretch.

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

At first glance the Saga price does seem more expensive but you have to take account of what Saga includes in the initial price as well as the cabin type. If you drink a lot, need insurance which could be expensive and live at a considerable distance from the departure point, then Saga may in fact be cheaper for a similar level balcony cabin elsewhere. If you don’t drink, have annual travel insurance, live near the port and are happy with a basic non balcony cabin then Saga will probably be an expensive option.

• Like 1

Re Fred vs Saga

I just looked at a few cruise compared the like with like , prices per night on Fred Premier Suite , which are same size a  Saga mid ship suite.  Fred was 30% cheaper now  than that we paid at launch with Saga. Our insurance works out at

£5 a day ,  for our long cruise our taxi we use for the 160 mile journey is £8 a day.  Then you have the drink £25 to £50 a day each. Saga still would come out £150 to £200  day dearer per cabin

47 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Re Fred vs Saga

I just looked at a few cruise compared the like with like , prices per night on Fred Premier Suite , which are same size a  Saga mid ship suite.  Fred was 30% cheaper now  than that we paid at launch with Saga. Our insurance works out at

£5 a day ,  for our long cruise our taxi we use for the 160 mile journey is £8 a day.  Then you have the drink £25 to £50 a day each. Saga still would come out £150 to £200  day dearer per cabin

I must admit I am surprised.  I wonder if the fact that you are comparing suite prices may have an impact?

Whenever I have priced up balcony cabins on Fred, the prices have always been on a par, if not slightly more, than I would expect to pay on Saga.

Back to your original question, I would strongly suggest that you explore the nooks and crannies of the ship. I have not done this in the past and regretted finding a bit of the ship the day before leaving. An example, we sat next to someone the day before the leaving and they had not explored very much of the entertainment and when we were telling her our experience, she was sorry to not have seen more. Definitely recommend trying all the food options at least once. The specialty restaurants are all included but you have to book as smaller than the main dining, but ALL the food is fab throughout the day. We are booked on Adventure next year and looking forward to the food changes. The trips were very well organised and the thing I find most comforting about Saga is the feeling of care and safety, they really do look after you. Enjoy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheBlondeBlonde said:

Back to your original question, I would strongly suggest that you explore the nooks and crannies of the ship. I have not done this in the past and regretted finding a bit of the ship the day before leaving. An example, we sat next to someone the day before the leaving and they had not explored very much of the entertainment and when we were telling her our experience, she was sorry to not have seen more. Definitely recommend trying all the food options at least once. The specialty restaurants are all included but you have to book as smaller than the main dining, but ALL the food is fab throughout the day. We are booked on Adventure next year and looking forward to the food changes. The trips were very well organised and the thing I find most comforting about Saga is the feeling of care and safety, they really do look after you. Enjoy.

Thank you.I shall take your advice particularly trying all the food options but I may have to try out the gym as a result! 🙂 

On 6/10/2021 at 5:48 PM, Windsurfboy said:

I've been looking at Baltic cruises with Fred. Their 14 day cruise to St Petersburg comes in at a massive 40% extra compared to our 16 day Saga cruise,  based on a balcony cabin and a drinks package with Fred. 

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

I've been looking at Baltic cruises with Fred. Their 14 day cruise to St Petersburg comes in at a massive 40% extra compared to our 16 day Saga cruise,  based on a balcony cabin and a drinks package with Fred. 

That fred Cruise doesn't look good value,  

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

At over £4000 pp for a 14 day cruise, in just a balcony cabin, you're right! 

With Dynamic  pricing , that just goes up and up , the only  way I think to compare prices and to book cruises now is at launch.

Just looked  at Fred launch prices on new ships, I must take back what I said. Fred seems to be close in price to Saga. Considering what you get on Saga that makes Fred look expensive. 

Must also remember that Saga ships are some of the most spacious, Saga space ratio 58 compared to Fred's new ships 46 , Queens 43, P&O mid size ships 41 , Iona 29. Saga is not as spacious as more expensive lines e.g Regent at 68 but pretty good nevertheless. 

Edited by Windsurfboy

12 minutes ago, Windsurfboy said:

Just looked  at Fred launch prices on new ships, I must take back what I said. Fred seems to be close in price to Saga. Considering what you get on Saga that makes Fred look expensive. 

Fair play to you for following up your original post about pricing. I must admit, I found it very hard to believe that Fred were cheaper than Saga.

• 1 month later...
On 6/7/2021 at 8:18 PM, ann141 said:

Just booked our first Saga cruise, The Glorious Canary Islands in Jan 2022.Any advice or tips welcome 🙂 

Ann,

My wife and I were on the last Saga cruise that sailed in March last year. That was our first Saga cruise, and we are now hooked, having booked three for 2022 - we have written this year off. I wrote a review of the cruise - I didn't post it anywhere; I wrote it because some of the friends we have made while cruising said they were considering Saga, and they would like to read a warts and all report from someone who had cruised with them. It's a little too long to post here, but I'd be happy to send it to you in a PM if you are interested.

Bob

31 minutes ago, LondonLad60 said:

Ann,

My wife and I were on the last Saga cruise that sailed in March last year. That was our first Saga cruise, and we are now hooked, having booked three for 2022 - we have written this year off. I wrote a review of the cruise - I didn't post it anywhere; I wrote it because some of the friends we have made while cruising said they were considering Saga, and they would like to read a warts and all report from someone who had cruised with them. It's a little too long to post here, but I'd be happy to send it to you in a PM if you are interested.

Bob

Hi Bob Private Messaging doesn't work on this site you would need to exchange email addresses through this forum.

I'm sure others would love to hear your 'warts and all' impressions of Saga.

Maybe you could split your review into 2, 3, 4 or more parts ?

1 hour ago, LondonLad60 said:

Ann,

Bob

Thank you 😊

2 hours ago, Glenndale said:

Hi Bob Private Messaging doesn't work on this site you would need to exchange email addresses through this forum.

I'm sure others would love to hear your 'warts and all' impressions of Saga.

Maybe you could split your review into 2, 3, 4 or more parts ?

Hi Glendale

Thanks for the advice on Private Messaging. I notice when composing messages that there is an option to attach files in the bottom left hand corner. Would I be able to attach my review as a word document? It runs to almost six A4 pages. That way, people who want to read it can download it, and those who don't can simply ignore it. Failing that I could split it into parts and post it but I wouldn't want to fall foul of the moderators and be accused of spamming the forum!

Bob

Edited by LondonLad60
Removed duplicate signature