Backpacks

babs135

Me again, looking for more advice and help.  I normally use a crossbody bag when I'm out and about but if it's a long day I often find my shoulder and back start to ache.  I'm thinking that a small backpack which would distribute the weight to both shoulders may be the way to go if we're on a full day excursion.

What concerns me is that if we are in a busy place how do I stop someone 'dipping' into the bag and taking my purse, etc?  I believe that there are backpacks on the market which 'lock' compartments and I'm wondering if anyone here has used them;  do they rate them, is one brand better than another and, because I'm not sure what size I would need, how much more did a small backpack carry compared to a regular crossbody bag?  A couple of bottles of water, suncream, a thin jumper for later in the day etc.

Thanks in advance.

24 minutes ago, babs135 said:

Me again, looking for more advice and help.  I normally use a crossbody bag when I'm out and about but if it's a long day I often find my shoulder and back start to ache.  I'm thinking that a small backpack which would distribute the weight to both shoulders may be the way to go if we're on a full day excursion.

What concerns me is that if we are in a busy place how do I stop someone 'dipping' into the bag and taking my purse, etc?  I believe that there are backpacks on the market which 'lock' compartments and I'm wondering if anyone here has used them;  do they rate them, is one brand better than another and, because I'm not sure what size I would need, how much more did a small backpack carry compared to a regular crossbody bag?  A couple of bottles of water, suncream, a thin jumper for later in the day etc.

Thanks in advance.

People not only dip into backpacks they even slice them with knives on crowded areas like trains.

Have you considered a combo of a backpack for water bottles and other heavy non-valuables and a bum-bag secured at the front to store your purse, passport & other valuables? This would also spread the load further.

7 hours ago, babs135 said:

Wow, never thought about slicing them open.  What sort of a world is it that you have to think of all these things ?

Don't get too hooked up on it though. Yes, it does happen but isn't necessarily common. Look aware and confident if you can, which will help to put these evil people off. I use a backpack hut whenever I am in a crowded area, I wear it on my front.

• Like 1