Park, cruise and fly hotels in Baltimore.

EllieinNJ

We are considering a cruise that goes from Baltimore to Tampa.  We can drive to Baltimore and park in one of the hotels that offer free parking for 12-21 days and transportation either to the port or from the airport.  This is unsecured parking so how safe is leaving your car there?  Actually, how safe are the hotels near the airport or downtown?  Also we need to fly back to BWI so what is the best way to get back to the hotel?

3 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

This is unsecured parking so how safe is leaving your car there?  Actually, how safe are the hotels near the airport or downtown?

I would have serious reservations about leaving my car for that long in an unsecured parking lot in downtown Baltimore. The airport hotels at BWI I would feel better about but still would have that sitting in the back of my head that my car is sitting in an open lot for the better part of a month. 

In terms of safety, hotels at both BWI and downtown are perfectly safe for the most part. There are wonderful parts of downtown Baltimore and there are some really scary ones. For the most part, the tourist hotels downtown are all in Fells Point or the Inner Harbor and are quite safe. Hotels at BWI are more run of the mill corporate digs but perfectly fine. 

Frankly I would park at a secure airport long term parking lot and just take a taxi or Uber either downtown or to a BWI hotel. The fee will be worth the peace of mind. 

3 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

Also we need to fly back to BWI so what is the best way to get back to the hotel?

Uber or Lyft if headed downtown- nicer cars than the taxis there and from my experience more reliable. You can also take a shuttle ride to the BWI train station and take a train downtown but you'll still need an Uber to get to your hotel so its not at all worth it. 

Hotels at BWI will run shuttles on the return or there will be a shuttle to the long term lot. 

Several off airport secure parking lots near BWI that you could use - usually saving you a few $ per day compared to parking at BWI.

If you choose to park at a hotel use a site such as www.parksleepfly.com or www.stay123.com to find hotels offering stay/park packages - we have left our car at the BWI Hilton while on vacation before without any issues.  "Your mileage may vary."

On 6/9/2021 at 7:26 AM, EllieinNJ said:

We are considering a cruise that goes from Baltimore to Tampa.  We can drive to Baltimore and park in one of the hotels that offer free parking for 12-21 days and transportation either to the port or from the airport.  This is unsecured parking so how safe is leaving your car there?  Actually, how safe are the hotels near the airport or downtown?  Also we need to fly back to BWI so what is the best way to get back to the hotel?

Given your plans, you might think of taking a train to Baltimore and flying from Tampa back to New Jersey.

3 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Given your plans, you might think of taking a train to Baltimore and flying from Tampa back to New Jersey.

I was thinking the same thing. Not sure where they are in Central Jersey, but the plan sounds like a lot of work. If Amtrak is a nearby alternative, I'd seriously look at it, and fly back from Tampa.

2 hours ago, markeb said:

I was thinking the same thing. Not sure where they are in Central Jersey, but the plan sounds like a lot of work. If Amtrak is a nearby alternative, I'd seriously look at it, and fly back from Tampa.

New Jersey is just not that large - so “Central Jersey” has to have them not far from Metro Park, Trenton, or Philadelphia - all Amtrak stations for train to Baltimore;  also not that far from Philadelphia or Newark for flight back from Tampa.

On 6/9/2021 at 7:26 AM, EllieinNJ said:

We've parked and left our car for the week using the Park and Cruise package at a Baltimore hotel 15 min. from the pier a total of 7 times. We're only about 1 1/2hrs. drive from Baltimore, and we like to get to Balt. the day before the cruise. We cruise in Feb. or Mar., so the weather can be an issue, especially on I-95 South with possible snow, ice, etc. Bottom line, we've been lucky and never had issues with the car. If something were to happen with the car, we would have a way to get home and insurance for any damage. 

I'm in Central NJ and have sailed and/or flown from BWI often.  I've left my car at the Hyatt Place by the airport, and a couple others, maybe the Courtyard and Fairfield Inn.  I've also used one of the off-airport lots, Fast Park & Relax.  I had zero issues anyplace.

AND I've also taken Amtrak from Trenton to BWI Rail station.  Then hopped onto the free shuttle to the airport.  All are pretty easy.  Actually the train is nice since you don't have to drive!  

Thanks everyone for your great responses.  We decided not to take this particular cruise because it seems too much work to get back to Baltimore.  We will wait for another cruise to our liking that starts and ends in Baltimore.  Actually, we do have a Carnival cruise booked in Oct. 2022 but have to cancel or reschedule it because of a conflict with another cruise from 2021 that was cancelled and shifted to 2022.

12 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

Thanks everyone for your great responses.  We decided not to take this particular cruise because it seems too much work to get back to Baltimore.  We will wait for another cruise to our liking that starts and ends in Baltimore.  Actually, we do have a Carnival cruise booked in Oct. 2022 but have to cancel or reschedule it because of a conflict with another cruise from 2021 that was cancelled and shifted to 2022.

Why is Baltimore in the cards?  And why do you have to get back to it?

From Central Jersey, Bayonne, Manhattan and even Brooklyn offer many options.

Two years ago we decided to take our first Carnival cruise, a 9 day round trip from NYC.  Canceled by pandemic but offered $600 OBC to book another.  Looked around and found the 14 day Panama Canal out of Baltimore for a great price.  This was for 11/22 round trip.  Now our 11/21 Princess cruise was cancelled and shifted to 11/22 which is in conflict so that is why we were considering doing the 2021 Panama canal but this one was one way to Tampa.  So now still looking for a replacement.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/27/2021 at 10:12 AM, EllieinNJ said:

Two years ago we decided to take our first Carnival cruise, a 9 day round trip from NYC.  Canceled by pandemic but offered $600 OBC to book another.  Looked around and found the 14 day Panama Canal out of Baltimore for a great price.  This was for 11/22 round trip.  Now our 11/21 Princess cruise was cancelled and shifted to 11/22 which is in conflict so that is why we were considering doing the 2021 Panama canal but this one was one way to Tampa.  So now still looking for a replacement.

Just curious what Cruise line was offering the Panama Canal Cruise ?