The Great Polo Shirt Debate

Kohima

Further to the extensive discussion which has taken place on this forum regarding the banning of polo shirts for men when dining on Saga ships, the Saga website now says that smart casual means dress you would wear to a restaurant at home. Definitely no mention of polo shirts as offending garments! 

The cruise booklet supplied on the last SAGA cruise we were on, in 2019, specifically advised  that polo shirts were not appropriate smart casual wear for evenings.

It will be interesting to see what the latest cruise booklet says.

57 minutes ago, trams said:

The cruise booklet supplied on the last SAGA cruise we were on, in 2019, specifically advised  that polo shirts were not appropriate smart casual wear for evenings.

It will be interesting to see what the latest cruise booklet says.

The trouble is that the booklet is issued after one has booked!  If I'd known that polo shirts were verboeten I'd have thought twice about booking.  I normally take a tux, a few shirts and lots of polos for the evenings.  The web site says collared shirts.  To me that means a polo.  I've already had more hassles with Saga than any other line.  I booked through a TA and apparently I'm supposed to do everything via them.  I can't access 'My Saga' because they don't recognise I have a cruise booked.  If they don't want me to use a TA, then stop flogging their cruises via them.  This is my first Saga cruise, and the way I'm feeling at the moment, it'll be my last.  Decisions will be made on disembarkation!

2 hours ago, Kohima said:

Further to the extensive discussion which has taken place on this forum regarding the banning of polo shirts for men when dining on Saga ships, the Saga website now says that smart casual means dress you would wear to a restaurant at home. Definitely no mention of polo shirts as offending garments! 

This may well open up a can of worms. I regularly go to quite expensive restaurants wearing tee shirt and jeans - in a good state of repair and cleanliness - and have yet to be refused service. But I would not go there wearing shorts or a "muscle vest". Everyone will I suspect have their own personal restaurant dress code, which may or may not correspond with Saga's. If any garments are effectively proscribed, better to say so upfront to avoid possible embarrasment onboard.

Edited by Denarius

Some people will now have had the cruise booklet for the new round Britain cruises. It will be interesting to know if the dress code wording is now the same as the website or if, yet again, departments in Saga aren’t talking to each other! Whatever, I agree with Denarius, personal dress codes (not to mention restaurants) may vary........!

1 hour ago, besberry said:

.......... I booked through a TA and apparently I'm supposed to do everything via them.  I can't access 'My Saga' because they don't recognise I have a cruise booked.  If they don't want me to use a TA, then stop flogging their cruises via them.  This is my first Saga cruise, and the way I'm feeling at the moment, it'll be my last.  Decisions will be made on disembarkation!

It's not that Saga don't want you to book via a TA, it is your choice, but once you have elected a TA as your representative then that is who Saga will deal with.

This has been discussed at length on this forum, it is a pity that you weren't aware, but at least you will know next time (should there be a next time 😉)

Another thing to be aware of is that the best prices are to be had when the new itineraries are released and that you can be one of the first to choose if you pay £90pp to pre-register.

Money returned if you can't find anything that suits.

Legally if it's not mentioned in the website at the time you book they can't change it. So if they do not say no polo shirts when you book  can't add it later. As you don't get access to my saga till after you book it doesn't count.

When you pay the deposit you enter a binding contract on both sides based on the information given then. 

Personally I like the stricter dress code , but that's not the point.

Edited by Windsurfboy

That’s interesting regarding that Saga is now advising that men can wear polo shirts.  I contacted them a couple of weeks ago regarding the same question (several times actually, as they did not give a definitive answer) and was advised that they were not allowed.  I didn’t want to pack a lot of clothes that he wouldn’t be able to wear so wanted clarification.  We accepted their decision, however, the advice in the brochure says a collared shirt, which a polo is.  My husband is happy to wear what is required for formal nights, however it will be nice to have the option to wear a smart polo with nice trousers on some of the other evenings.  

Why cruise companies find it so hard to be clear about dress code especially for non formal nights astounds me.  So easy to write a clear message on website, but they seem to want  to do it in one or two sentences, as if they are frightened to spell things out clearly in a few paragraphs. 

But before we berate Saga, Cunard are even worse, two different versions on website and another different one on board.

Edited by Windsurfboy

Surely we don’t need a several paragraphs to tell us what to wear for an informal restaurant meal? Restaurants onshore don’t feel the need to do that. The new one sentence wording suggesting attire appropriate for a restaurant meal elsewhere enables people to choose for themselves. No one needs to worry about what other people are wearing. Choices may vary.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kohima said:

Surely we don’t need a several paragraphs to tell us what to wear for an informal restaurant meal? Restaurants onshore don’t feel the need to do that. The new one sentence wording suggesting attire appropriate for a restaurant meal elsewhere enables people to choose for themselves. No one needs to worry about what other people are wearing. Choices may vary.

Yes and no. If Saga just say wear what you would at any restaurant  (any restaurant ranges from KFC to Michelin star) at home, and just leave it at that  then that's fine, they then must accept anything including jeans and T-shirts even shorts in summer .  Which is how the wording  now stands. 

But if they don't want to accept just anything it needs to be spelt out clearly, ambiguous rules are a waste of time.  

I'm happy  with either don't care what others wear ,  personally  believe in emphasis in smart casual is on smart.  I wouldn't turn up in jeans and T-shirt but if I  did under this vague wording I'd expect to be let in. 

Personally  if if was to be only one sentence, I'd go for something like, " our informal nights like every night on your cruise dinner is still a special occasion , dress should reflect this"

Edited by Windsurfboy
  • Like 1

Sadly I do think there  have to be minimum  requirements for evenings - could be as simple for casual/informal nights as 'collared shirts, no shorts, (maybe no blue jeans?) in indoor restaurants.  People's interpretation of these rules depend somewhat on their 'taste'; my DH often wore a plain navy polo shirt, sometimes with lightweight vee necked pullover over, for dinner.  The chap at the next table wore a collared shirt and tie, but with tatty men's cardigan over.  I know who looked more elegant.

• Like 1

My experience of Saga passengers formed on many cruises is that they are old enough and sensible enough to make their own appropriate choices of clothing, as well as to understand to which type of restaurant the wording refers. Never have I heard discussion among passengers of what anyone else is wearing. Like Lincslady I have experienced tatty cardigans not to mention frayed collar shirts and stained ties but often found those wearing them to be excellent dinner companions.

• Like 2

On 6/10/2021 at 5:45 PM, Windsurfboy said:

Why cruise companies find it so hard to be clear about dress code especially for non formal nights astounds me.  So easy to write a clear message on website, but they seem to want  to do it in one or two sentences, as if they are frightened to spell things out clearly in a few paragraphs. 

But before we berate Saga, Cunard are even worse, two different versions on website and another different one on board.

This is clear enough for me.

IMG_2130.JPG

Maybe  I am old fashioned or a snob, but I think the simple 'collared shirts' meaning  no vests or tee shirts in indoor venues in the evening, which I do think just too casual, fits the bill without using too many words.

54 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Maybe  I am old fashioned or a snob, but I think the simple 'collared shirts' meaning  no vests or tee shirts in indoor venues in the evening, which I do think just too casual, fits the bill without using too many words.

Long trousers and collared shirts would probably define an accepable dress code for gentlemen, but how would you define an equivalent code for ladies?

It’s not that straightforward I wish it was…a Polo shirt does have a collar but Saga told me that it wasn’t acceptable.  I just wanted guidance as I didn’t want to pack things which my husband wouldn’t be able to wear.  It would be useful if they were clearer.  It seems us ladies can wear almost anything  🙂

16 hours ago, CeaJay said:

It’s not that straightforward I wish it was…a Polo shirt does have a collar but Saga told me that it wasn’t acceptable.  I just wanted guidance as I didn’t want to pack things which my husband wouldn’t be able to wear.  It would be useful if they were clearer.  It seems us ladies can wear almost anything  🙂

Especially on formal nights, on which gentlemen are restricted to dinner jackets or lounge suits. The female equivalents of which are surely evening gowns or coctail dresses.

dress code for Ladies is much harder to define than for men , but perhaps not as necessary as Ladies just tend to dress more elegantly anyway without being told. 

Which brings us to packing, àlthough I'm  pretty efficient  at the art of packing,  I still need my wife's advice "does this go with that?". Also the occasional "you're not taking that are you",  and regular "you'll  need more shirts etc .., than that".

However in the end I enjoy dressing up for dinner making that extra effort is part of the holiday. But I'm  retired and don't have to be smart for work anymore so dressing up makes a change

Pre-cruise information from SAGA concerning evening (post 6pm) dress code: "gentleman can wear a smart open neck shirt and trousers. A jacket is optional and we would ask that polo shirts, t-shirts and denim are kept for casual wear during the day". 

No mention of a collar needed on the shirt!

Casual wear is verboten after 6pm anywhere on the ship.

I  

2 hours ago, trams said:

Pre-cruise information from SAGA concerning evening (post 6pm) dress code: "gentleman can wear a smart open neck shirt and trousers. A jacket is optional and we would ask that polo shirts, t-shirts and denim are kept for casual wear during the day". 

No mention of a collar needed on the shirt!

Casual wear is verboten after 6pm anywhere on the ship.

I  

It appears to me that Saga are spinning like a weather vane in a gale on this issue, with one hand not knowing what the other is doing.