Shuttle service from Houston to Galveston

Cruzingal#9

I know this subject has been talked about many of times, but I’m not finding much.  First of all, we are sooooo excited that our October 3rd cruise on the Liberty looks like it’s going to happen!!!  We are looking into shuttle services to take 4 adults from the Houston Hobby area (don’t have a hotel yet) down to the pier.  We used VIP Shuttle a few years ago and they were amazing, but their website isn’t showing up and when I called the number I had it said to leave a message for that number; no mention of it being VIP Shuttle.  I left a message, but haven’t heard anything back.  Does anyone know if they’re still in business?  I talked to another service and got a good quote, but their website is very minimal and I can’t find any reviews on them.  It’s called “Houston to Galveston”.  We found it online.  Has anybody heard of them or used them before?  Or any other suggestions.  We’re not trying to be “unsocial”, but we’re not looking for a shared ride program and prefer not to use Uber.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2021 at 10:27 AM, Cruzingal#9 said:

I know this subject has been talked about many of times, but I’m not finding much.  First of all, we are sooooo excited that our October 3rd cruise on the Liberty looks like it’s going to happen!!!  We are looking into shuttle services to take 4 adults from the Houston Hobby area (don’t have a hotel yet) down to the pier.  We used VIP Shuttle a few years ago and they were amazing, but their website isn’t showing up and when I called the number I had it said to leave a message for that number; no mention of it being VIP Shuttle.  I left a message, but haven’t heard anything back.  Does anyone know if they’re still in business?  I talked to another service and got a good quote, but their website is very minimal and I can’t find any reviews on them.  It’s called “Houston to Galveston”.  We found it online.  Has anybody heard of them or used them before?  Or any other suggestions.  We’re not trying to be “unsocial”, but we’re not looking for a shared ride program and prefer not to use Uber.

I just went through quote requests for 4 different transfer companies.  I ended up booking with Galveston Shuttle & Limo for our September 26th sailing on Liberty of the Seas.  They had really good pricing, their reviews were really strong, and their communication was super solid. 

For me, the tipping point with booking with them was that it's a 100% refundable reservation if you cancel 7+ days ahead.  The other services I contacted kept some/all of the payments, regardless of when you canceled.  

After the year we just had, I couldn't imagine not having a refundable reservation.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I ended up booking Galveston Limousine.  I could not find one review for "Houston to Galveston Shuttle".  Galveston Limousine was a little more expensive than Houston to Galveston Shuttle, but just didn't want to take the chance on a company that I had never heard of or that anybody could verify.  I got quite a few quotes from different companies (Galveston Shuttle and Limo was a little more expensive than Galveston Limousine).  Everyone I talked to said they have been swamped over the last week with people booking for future cruises!  

Thank you skittlesdfw for your response.  Enjoy your cruise and take good care of the ship so it's ready for us to get on the following week!

• Like 1

We are looking at doing a quick cruise in December.  We would also be flying in to Houston Hobby. This will the first ever going to Texas. Cruzingal #9 and skittlesdfw are you flying in the day of the cruise?  We were thinking since our cruise would leave on Dec 24 we need to arrive the day before.  Would these shuttle services take us to a hotel? I'm looking for all the help I can get at this point.

On 6/15/2021 at 2:23 AM, Cruzingal#9 said:

I ended up booking Galveston Limousine.  I could not find one review for "Houston to Galveston Shuttle".  Galveston Limousine was a little more expensive than Houston to Galveston Shuttle, but just didn't want to take the chance on a company that I had never heard of or that anybody could verify.  I got quite a few quotes from different companies (Galveston Shuttle and Limo was a little more expensive than Galveston Limousine).  Everyone I talked to said they have been swamped over the last week with people booking for future cruises!  

Thank you skittlesdfw for your response.  Enjoy your cruise and take good care of the ship so it's ready for us to get on the following week!

Did you email the transportation companies or call them for quotes?  I've sent out a few emails and so far no one has gotten back to me.  Just trying to find the best way to communicate.

Thanks

On 6/17/2021 at 3:10 AM, NC State said:

We are looking at doing a quick cruise in December.  We would also be flying in to Houston Hobby. This will the first ever going to Texas. Cruzingal #9 and skittlesdfw are you flying in the day of the cruise?  We were thinking since our cruise would leave on Dec 24 we need to arrive the day before.  Would these shuttle services take us to a hotel? I'm looking for all the help I can get at this point.

My group is flying in the day before.  

We chartered a shuttle and they are taking us to a Galveston hotel when we arrive, and picking us up from the port on the day the ship gets back in.

It ends up being a few dollars less than if we arrived "day of cruise" and had to have the shuttle take us straight to the port.

I stay at the hotels, for business,  near Intercontinental where lots of people stay for cruises even though it is pretty far away. The passengers always use a shuttle.   I would try calling one of those hotels and asking them about shuttle services.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2021 at 1:23 AM, Cruzingal#9 said:

I called Galveston limousine a couple of times and keep getting told they don’t have their new rates yet.  Also that it’s cheaper if you book online.  But their website still says temporarily unavailable.  Can you tell me how you booked and what the cost was?

On 6/17/2021 at 3:10 AM, NC State said:

We are flying in the evening before.  We never take our chances flying in the same day.  If there is any problems with a canceled flight or delays of some sort I would have a heart attack!!!!!  It's not worth the stress to me.  

We are staying at the LaQuinta by Houston Hobby.   Our shuttle is picking us up there and taking us to the terminal in Galveston the morning of the cruise and picking us up at the terminal when we get off the ship and taking us to the airport.

• Like 2

On 6/21/2021 at 12:47 PM, vegas7df said:

Did you email the transportation companies or call them for quotes?  I've sent out a few emails and so far no one has gotten back to me.  Just trying to find the best way to communicate.

Thanks

Some of them I emailed and some of them I called directly.  The ones I talked to all told me that they were just starting to get crazy busy with reservations.  That might be why you have not heard back from any of them.  I would suggest to call them directly.

• Like 1

On 7/9/2021 at 5:00 PM, CruisinWithDLS said:

I called Galveston limousine a couple of times and keep getting told they don’t have their new rates yet.  Also that it’s cheaper if you book online.  But their website still says temporarily unavailable.  Can you tell me how you booked and what the cost was?

I called them and booked over the phone.  I booked it on 6/14.  For a Suburban for 4 people from a hotel near Houston Hobby to the terminal and then from the terminal to Houston Hobby we're paying $400.  Everyone I was in contact with was right around the same price for a private SUV.  You can book a shared ride through a lot of the shuttle services for cheaper.  We had thought about renting a vehicle and driving down to the terminal ourselves, but the price of rental cars is right in the same ballpark!  And then you have to deal with driving yourself and turning the car in!  

On 7/12/2021 at 9:56 AM, bpphoto said:

Hi Mates,

Has anyone looked into Island Breeze Shuttle service? 

Thanks,

bpphoto

I called them also.  Of course, I have already thrown away all my quotes that I wrote down, but I think I remember that they were a little higher; not by much though.

• 2 weeks later...

We have made this trip several times and will again in a couple of weeks. We have always used Elite Limo in Houston and have always been very happy with their service. Not sure how their price is, since its a private service I am sure you could get something less expensive but I hate the hassle of group travel and am willing to pay a little more the the service. I would recommend them to anyone. 

I highly recommend Island Breeze Shuttle.  When we traveled in the past they gave Seniors 10% Discount if you let them know.  They have excellent service, we got picked up at Hobby Airport, would have a text from them when we landed letting us know where they were and they also took us back to the airport texting us again to let us know where they were parked.  I can't say enough about their service.

• 3 weeks later...

We booked with Galveston Express. Our flight was delayed by 2 hours and so we missed our shuttle. We called Galveston Express to apprise them of our situation and I was told to go to a specific area of the airport and get picked up. No worries. We get there and no shuttle. We call again, now we are told the shuttle left 45 minutes earlier. Hmmmm.OK, So we used an Uber. If was roughly the same cost, maybe 5.00 more. Not sure. So the cruise was awesome. Galveston was great. I get home thinking pretty soon I will see the refund on my bank account. Well that doesn't happen even after 2 weeks. So I email and call to no avail. Finally I go on Facebook and private message. Finally a response. Only to hear that there will be no refund and I should use my trip insurance. Eventually they agreed to use the funds as a future use, like I would ever use them again. Please, Galveston Express tell me if I left anything off or if any of this is not accurate.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Quite interested in this topic, since I will be doing first RCCL Sailing on Independance Oct 1st - will have to follow, and do my own research -  booked  Best Western Seawall on night before sailing - hope it's NOT a DUmp and no idea if they have a Hobby shuttle ~~ 

TYIA for all y'all share !!  ❤️

4 hours ago, HunterBarb said:

Quite interested in this topic, since I will be doing first RCCL Sailing on Independance Oct 1st - will have to follow, and do my own research -  booked  Best Western Seawall on night before sailing - hope it's NOT a DUmp and no idea if they have a Hobby shuttle ~~ 

TYIA for all y'all share !!  ❤️

None of the hotels on the island have a shuttle to Hobby. It’s at least a 45 minute drive and could be longer depending on day, time of day and conditions. 

On 7/12/2021 at 9:56 AM, bpphoto said:

Hi Mates,

Has anyone looked into Island Breeze Shuttle service? 

Thanks,

bpphoto

Just emailed them yesterday and got a response today.

Price quoted: $190 roundtrip, IAH/GALV/IAH.... $150 roundtrip from Hobby. They will pick you up at the airport or hotel.

Is this reasonable?

Approximately how much would Uber/Lyft cost?

Thank you.

On 8/31/2021 at 7:28 PM, bonsai3s said:

Just emailed them yesterday and got a response today.

Price quoted: $190 roundtrip, IAH/GALV/IAH.... $150 roundtrip from Hobby. They will pick you up at the airport or hotel.

Is this reasonable?

Approximately how much would Uber/Lyft cost?

Thank you.

WOWSER !  That seems High !  Even breaking down to $75 each way !  Hopefully some other folks will chime in with better priced rides / Uber / Lyfts !    

TYIA

• 2 months later...
On 8/15/2021 at 9:38 PM, cofgren said:

We booked with Galveston Express. Our flight was delayed by 2 hours and so we missed our shuttle. We called Galveston Express to apprise them of our situation and I was told to go to a specific area of the airport and get picked up. No worries. We get there and no shuttle. We call again, now we are told the shuttle left 45 minutes earlier. Hmmmm.OK, So we used an Uber. If was roughly the same cost, maybe 5.00 more. Not sure. So the cruise was awesome. Galveston was great. I get home thinking pretty soon I will see the refund on my bank account. Well that doesn't happen even after 2 weeks. So I email and call to no avail. Finally I go on Facebook and private message. Finally a response. Only to hear that there will be no refund and I should use my trip insurance. Eventually they agreed to use the funds as a future use, like I would ever use them again. Please, Galveston Express tell me if I left anything off or if any of this is not accurate.

Could you elaborate on your situation please? Did you purchase travel insurance? Did you call before your flight took off to inform them you would be delayed?

On 8/15/2021 at 9:38 PM, cofgren said:

Thanks for enlightening us that Uber was close to the same cost.  That sounds like a great option.  I would rather Uber than shuttle.  If you used a Chase Sapphire card you had insurance.  

On 9/2/2021 at 10:36 AM, HunterBarb said:

WOWSER !  That seems High !  Even breaking down to $75 each way !  Hopefully some other folks will chime in with better priced rides / Uber / Lyfts !    

TYIA

I just did a mock ride on Uber from Houston to Galveston Hotel and it was $77.00  Not too bad, might just take our chances and get an Uber.

• Like 1