RC just announced vaxxed passengers on AoS must get rapid test at checkin

We can easily get a free test for travel at Walgreens, and possibly other pharmacies, in our area. Is this unique to our area in the Midwest? I understand it isn’t super convenient to get a test within the right period of time, but I don’t get why are people concerned about the cost. 

27 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Exactly. That's all it is is a PR move. They should be giving OBC to offset the price of the testing (since technically insurance won't cover travel testing)

Not entirely, but the bad PR doesn’t help.  Anyone who thought cruising was going to be some free-for-all at restart is just deluding themselves. The cruise lines are not stupid or negligent. 

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, meghan74 said:

We can easily get a free test for travel at Walgreens, and possibly other pharmacies, in our area. Is this unique to our area in the Midwest? I understand it isn’t super convenient to get a test within the right period of time, but I don’t get why are people concerned about the cost. 

Same in the Northeast. We even got it free for our trip to Hawaii, and that had very specific requirements.

Our test in Mexico to get back to the states was $32 per person, well worth it for a great trip

On 6/10/2021 at 2:45 PM, mek said:

Well, if they test positive a second test should be administered to make sure they are really positive.

If people are testing positive before boarding  exactly how do they handle the other's who may have been in contact with them?

And hateful as this sounds, if people who have not been vaccinated arrive and test positive, no I don't feel one bit sorry if their vacation is ruined.

What would be your feeling if people who have been vaccinated arrive and test positive?  What's the difference?  Seriously, is there a difference?

P.S. I noticed that almost each time I quote on any topic, that topic becomes closed (last time it occurred yesterday).  We shall see now, too.  Some gray cardinal rules the theater?  It appears very similar to how it has been executing in Russia (I left it in 1991).

1 minute ago, kirtihk said:

P.S. I noticed that almost each time I quote on any topic, that topic becomes closed (last time it occurred yesterday). 

The mods happened to be in a closing thread mood. Many vax related threads go that way.

Edited by Biker19

On 6/10/2021 at 2:12 PM, smokeybandit said:

You have a 0.01% chance of getting covid after being vaccinated.

You have a much, much higher chance of getting a false positive after taking a covid test.

I just started reading this thread and there are 11 pages. This post by @smokeybandit has 22 likes. I wish I could like it another 10000 times.

On 6/10/2021 at 3:58 PM, BecciBoo said:

Sure, but then there's DeSantis............

I'm wondering if this just may be DeSantis' "out" to allow cruise lines to require vaccination proof. He can always say that in the interest of public health and safety, he has come to realize that cruise ships are not the same as land based establishments such as bars, restaurants, retail stores and such. He will grant an exception to this Florida law that bans proof of vaccine for cruise ships.

I can dream, can't I?

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 3:59 PM, Babr said:

Thank you for doing so.

Testing before you leave is the smart thing to do. I hope all goes well for you and you are able to enjoy your trip.

But.....what if the test done before a person leaves their home city for their embarkation port is negative but the test done just before embarkation is a false positive? That can still happen. A negative test at home does not guarantee a person will not test positive at the port of embarkation. This is truly a very difficult situation, especially if you have to travel by air to get to an embarkation city.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

But.....what if the test done before a person leaves their home city for their embarkation port is negative but the test done just before embarkation is a false positive? That can still happen. A negative test at home does not guarantee a person will not test positive at the port of embarkation. This is truly a very difficult situation, especially if you have to travel by air to get to an embarkation city.

I suppose it can happen, but it is the last hope you have of preventing a nasty surprise at embarkation.

The person would be compensated, but that’s not the point. Who wants to deal with the stress, uncertainty, or inconvenience?

Edited by Babr

On 6/10/2021 at 6:07 PM, Anton said:

Now comes word from the current Celebrity Millennium cruise that two guests from the same cabin tested positive, presumably on the tests being done to comply with the CDC requirement for international flights.  They have been moved to an isolation cabin.  This is reported on Twitter by a cruise media figure who is on that cruise, Stewart Chiron (aka The Cruise Guy).

Does anyone know what type of cabins are being used for isolation cabins? Are they balcony cabins or inside cabins? I would not be happy to be moved from a balcony cabin to an inside if I had to be isolated. How are they handling this? Anyone know?

On 6/10/2021 at 6:12 PM, crzndeb said:

I don’t know Colorado Babe, but I’m one of them. Got my 2nd shot in Feb. 

I honestly don’t think the CDC will have true numbers of breakthrough cases. People may not have symptoms, or like me, mild cold like symptoms. They could be out living their life, thinking it won’t get me, I’m vaccinated. I think the variants still need to be studied more, which they are doing.
The only reason I tested was because my daughter tested positive, and a couple days later I had a stuffy nose. Never thought I would get it. I think the number of breakthrough cases may be more than anybody really knows. If my daughter hadn’t tested positive, I probably would have thought cold or allergies and been out doing my thing without a mask because the CDC said I could.
My cruises aren’t until next March, and those may not even go, since they are out of Australia.

The CDC guidelines say that if a vaccinated person is exposed to a KNOWN Covid positive person and is symptomatic (stuffy nose qualifies) that the vaccinated person should quarantine. They never said if you are symptomatic and have been exposed to a KNOWN Covid positive person that you can go without a mask in public. Just the opposite, actually.

13 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Does anyone know what type of cabins are being used for isolation cabins? Are they balcony cabins or inside cabins? I would not be happy to be moved from a balcony cabin to an inside if I had to be isolated. How are they handling this? Anyone know?

From what i read on the live review that was done on the Millineum, the cabins being used for positive tests are on deck 2, so inside. Also, the people that were contacted via contact tracing did not have to move cabins.

20 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

On the Millennium they were quarantined in an inside cabin, deck 2 

I believe it is a requirement that the quarantine cabins be near the medical facility. 

On 6/10/2021 at 8:54 PM, RFerrington said:

I completely agree with you.  They can make the test results come out any way they want them to.

Does that have to do with the amount of cycles they run? The more cycles, the more false positives there are. Is that correct?

On 6/10/2021 at 9:04 PM, sept10dsm said:

I'm sure there are many.  Now cdc doesn't want vaccinated to be tested if they come in contact with a covid illness unless the vaccinated person shows symptoms.  That's telling to me.

That is HUGE. This is the reason cruise lines should not be testing vaccinated people unless they have symptoms. How long is it going to take for that CDC guideline to be in effect for the cruise lines?

• Like 1

On 6/10/2021 at 9:23 PM, Auntiemomo said:

Maybe Fauci should do a study on that, but I'm not sure I would trust his findings.  😉

A study was done in Israel with health care workers as the people that were used in the study. The data shows that fully vaccinated people who are infected with the virus, have very little ability to transmit the virus to others. This is the reason for the latest CDC guidelines for vaccinated people.

34 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

They were moved to an isolation cabin near the medical center. Given that the center is on a lower deck it was likely inside. According to comments of some on board they were specially ventilated cabins. They were not allowed to stay in their reserved stateroom. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Gee, @harkinmr I don't see it that way.

You don’t see what that way?  Context is important when you quote someone 6 days after they made a comment coffeebean.  I was being sarcastic in my response to someone who implied something nefarious in the way tests in vaccinated persons were counted by the CDC.  Let’s move on. 

Edited by harkinmr

On 6/11/2021 at 12:19 AM, BOOKBOOKBOOK said:

........If I had to bet money, I highly doubt that this is a precursor to RCG making vaccines completely optional. If an unmasked, fully vaccinated cruise at 30% capacity yielded two positive tests, how many would an unmasked, vaccine-optional cruise at higher capacities yield?

Unmasked, vaccine optional? That is an oxymoron at this point in time. Don't you think?

On 6/11/2021 at 12:36 AM, Goodtime Cruizin said:

I recognize that the many theorize that the two covid passengers used a fake card. But understand this, RCG has to very very careful on this one. They'll have to prove it beyond a shadow of doubt or they be sued big time. Next is the PR problem they'll be facing if they do tell us the vaccine cards are fake. They lose all credibility because the required documentation was not verified but yet demanded. That's a serious problem for RCG.  Because of these two reasons, I seriously doubt that we'll hear anything going forward about them.  

You do have a point there. Never thought about that. I was hoping just the opposite would occur if and when anyone is found to have attempted to use a forged vaccine document. I would hope there would be much news coverage about it to discourage anyone else who may try to use forged vaccine documents.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coffeebean said:

Unmasked, vaccine optional? That is an oxymoron at this point in time. Don't you think?

Agreed, this is the delusional version of US cruising restart that the anti-vax crowds are pushing. A lot of the logic I saw when the positives happened on Millennium was "oh, obviously vaccines don't work, so let's just have cruising be free-for-all".