Camera Suggestions, Please

We will be going on a Viking Rhine river cruise next year . My current camera is a Sony A6000 with a Sony 55-210 lens. I love this camera but it is heavy!

Any suggestions as to what will take great pics and video but would be a lighter weight. Would getting a lighter wide angle lens help? 

I broke the original lens that came with the camera. 

Thank you for your help!

6 hours ago, Debbie819 said:

We will be going on a Viking Rhine river cruise next year . My current camera is a Sony A6000 with a Sony 55-210 lens. I love this camera but it is heavy!

Any suggestions as to what will take great pics and video but would be a lighter weight. Would getting a lighter wide angle lens help? 

I broke the original lens that came with the camera. 

Thank you for your help!

You probably want a lens covering the approx 30 to 35 mm range. This could be a zoom or a fixed focal length ‘prime’ lens. These will be physically smaller and lighter than your telephoto zoom, and would likely be a better walk around choice.

I would recommend looking at an E mount (Sony compatible) version of Sigma 30mm f/1.4 lens for a prime lens option.

I am not familiar with E mount zoom options, hopefully a Sony shooter will join this thread. (Another option is visiting dpreview.com and looking at buying guides and forums there) 

If you want the smallest lightest travel camera that still will produce excellent pictures with the wide range of functions you want for travel, the Sony RX100 Mark 6 or 7 are the best available. Very small, very light but with tons of features. They are also expensive. Since you are already familiar with the A6000, you may want to consider picking up the new Sony 18-135 zoom. It is much smaller and lighter than the 55-210 and produces excellent images. It is the new standard lens that comes with the APS-C sensor Sony cameras. 

Dave

• Like 2

My primary camera is a Sony A7III.  If you think your A6000 is heavy try a full frame camera which use full frame lenses that are much heavier!

Along with my A7III I carry a Sony RX100M6.  Yes it is expensive but I shoot everything in RAW and the RX100M6 allows shooting in RAW plus it has a great zoom lens that covers a broad range.  

The RX100 is always in my pocket when I leave my cabin.  The A7III is a fantastic camera but it is big and heavy and sometimes I don't want to carry it everywhere or on all types of excursions.  The RX100 is a lot more discreet which comes in handy many places.

There is a reason the RX100 cameras carry a hefty price but for me it's worth it.  I've actually sold some of my RX100M6 photos to a cruise line that they are using for marketing purposes.

I picked up an older used RX100 early model pretty cheap in the used market for a budding photographer I know.  Coupled with a few new batteries an older RX100 is a great travel camera for those on a budget.  The newer RX cameras use the same menu system with their bigger cousins so the only disadvantage of an older RX is learning a slightly different menu system.  Even the original RX100 is a pretty decent camera.

I have tried going with a phone as my camera and that sort of works in select places but even the newest phones don't hold a candle to a used point and shoot camera despite what the fanboys say.  

If the a6xxx is too heavy, you have no other choice but to go to a P&S camera. That Sony is about as light as it will get with an ILC camera. Panasonic and Sony are some of the best P&S cameras out there. They will be almost as good, but rarely will they ever be as good as the Sony a6xxx. 

Optics and sensors will be sacrificed on a P&S. If you are not doing large prints, it most likely will never matter. If you aren't entering photography contests, it probably won't matter.

1 hour ago, BoozinCroozin said:

If the a6xxx is too heavy, you have no other choice but to go to a P&S camera. That Sony is about as light as it will get with an ILC camera. Panasonic and Sony are some of the best P&S cameras out there. They will be almost as good, but rarely will they ever be as good as the Sony a6xxx. 

Optics and sensors will be sacrificed on a P&S. If you are not doing large prints, it most likely will never matter. If you aren't entering photography contests, it probably won't matter.

There are smaller, lighter interchangeable lens cameras - with smaller, lighter  lens options [you can only make things so small before they become uncomfortable to use]

Here's a link to the 'camerasize' comparison of Olympus M10 series to Sony A6xxx series 

https://j.mp/2U3pFNT

Lets see if I can get a link with lenses [top view] - these are 'kit' level zooms, not 'Pro' or 'G Master'

https://j.mp/2Sv3wIa

Thats a 14-42 on the micro four thirds, and a 28-60 on the Sony - its possible that the Olympus zoom has slightly more range on the 'wide' end. And the Olympus with kit lens is about 200 grams less than the Sony with its kit lens.

Edited by TheOldBear
Added weight comparison

In the end, the it is still only a 4oz difference. 4oz is not going to make something be light enough from too heavy. I do agree and use the an M43. But based on the information provided, P&S is the only option in my opinion because ILC all have weight. 

The only other suggestion would be to use a better camera strap. If you are using the one that came with the camera, it is going to feel heavy and uncomfortable. There are much better camera straps to more evenly distribute the weight instead of from the neck.

I'll go a little different than the other responses (although truthfully they gave some fantastic options that will likely be a better fit for you)

The last couple years I started traveling with just a single prime lens, usually a 35-40mm equivalent, or a Fuji x100v.  I like the creative constraint of a single focal length and having to explore a scene more to get the photo I want.  I'm more likely to take it with me everywhere since it's small and light and I don't need to worry about if I'm taking the right lens...because it's the only one I brought.

It's not for everyone, you have to be ok with missing some shots you could have gotten otherwise, but for me at least the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.  I'm not too familiar with Sony lens choices, but something in the 20-28mm range would be good for that.

• Like 1

I am just asking this to get a better understanding. To caveat my response also, I am a picture taker with photographer level gear. I am not a photographer. Those people have extremely gifted talent on composing a shot, changing an angle slightly to make things more dramatic etc. This is something I do not have an eye for or the artistic prowess to accomplish. It is an art form.

• What mode do you take pictures in with your a6000? I ask this because if you shoot in nothing but Auto, it is defeating about 90% of the advantages of a ILC camera.
  • Do you shoot in RAW mode to edit pictures after, even just the auto correct options in photo software?
  • Do you just pick the camera up and snap pictures (me) or do you compose what you are looking at, try different angles or lighting? If it is the latter, you are getting a lot more out of the camera.

I ask because these were some of the things I was asked when I was buying my new camera. They were trying to determine if getting another ILC was worth it or to go with one of the super advanced P&S cameras like the Sony RX line.

We have three a6xxx cameras so my wife and I can share lenses. But 9 times out of 10 she uses the 16-50mm pancake zoom on her a6400! The pancake zoom is actually our second one as I dropped the first. Ugh! They are known for being susceptible to breaking if dropped or knocked.

I would suggest the Sigma 19mm f2.8 and Sigma 30mm f2.8 as possible candidates. These are nice and light although fixed prime lenses different than the zoom that you are accustomed to. But that is the beauty of interchangable lenses! The pancake is 4.6 oz. vs. 6.1 oz. for the Sigma 19mm. For comparison the Sony 55-210mm is 13.6 oz. with caps and hood.

We are on one of the upcoming Viking Iceland cruises and my wife is taking the "Iceland through the Lens" excursion while I do the "Golden Circle." I am going to have her take both of the Sigmas and/or the Sony 18-135 f3.5-5.6 zoom for the excursion on the outside chance that the 16-50 decides that day to be a problem!

Edited by Heartgrove

If you used the one that came with the camera, that is extremely uncomfortable. When I had my heavy DSLR with the even heavier 70-200mm lens, I used a Black Rapid sling strap. That made a significant difference in managing the weight of the camera. I could carry it around all day with little issues.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 2:55 PM, joshgates said:

I'll go a little different than the other responses (although truthfully they gave some fantastic options that will likely be a better fit for you)

The last couple years I started traveling with just a single prime lens, usually a 35-40mm equivalent, or a Fuji x100v.  I like the creative constraint of a single focal length and having to explore a scene more to get the photo I want.  I'm more likely to take it with me everywhere since it's small and light and I don't need to worry about if I'm taking the right lens...because it's the only one I brought.

It's not for everyone, you have to be ok with missing some shots you could have gotten otherwise, but for me at least the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages.  I'm not too familiar with Sony lens choices, but something in the 20-28mm range would be good for that.

I agree. Although we got rid of our primes, we would do just what you are doing. 35mm on a FF camera would be our choice. Nonetheless, we travel with a FF camera and 24-70 F/4 lens. Ya....we wish it was a smaller set-up. I must admit, having a little flexibility with a zoom is nice at times.

On 6/15/2021 at 12:47 PM, BoozinCroozin said:

** I also have the sony 6000, (love, love her). I plan on leaving  her home and using my iphone 11 pro max with the 3 lens, and picking up the go pro 9.   Its a hard call.

On 6/29/2021 at 6:03 PM, liamur14 said:

** I also have the sony 6000, (love, love her). I plan on leaving  her home and using my iphone 11 pro max with the 3 lens, and picking up the go pro 9.   Its a hard call.

A word of caution. One time I was using my phone to shoot a video from our verandah. The weather was a bit brisk and we were on the windward side. A gust came along and I had presence of mind to tighten my clutch on my phone. I realized then how easy it would be to have it go overboard! A tether strap might help for piece of mind.

• Like 1

My arsenal for cruising in French Polynesia  ....

Sony RX10IV

GoPro 7 with a 50/50 dome

DJI drone with ND filter kit

The RX10IV does everything well. With a 24-600mm equivalent lens with a power zoom it's so capable. GoPro with dome for underwater snorkeling. DJI drone for the overhead video shots. 

I also bring along a Black Magic sling, a Sony flash for on-camera and one off camera that I can control from the flash on-camera. 

I know  ... a lot but actually very light compared to previous years when I would bring Sony A7III and an assortment of lenses. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2021 at 8:45 PM, TheOldBear said:

You probably want a lens covering the approx 30 to 35 mm range. This could be a zoom or a fixed focal length ‘prime’ lens. These will be physically smaller and lighter than your telephoto zoom, and would likely be a better walk around choice.

I would recommend looking at an E mount (Sony compatible) version of Sigma 30mm f/1.4 lens for a prime lens option.

I am not familiar with E mount zoom options, hopefully a Sony shooter will join this thread. (Another option is visiting dpreview.com and looking at buying guides and forums there) 

1 hour ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

My arsenal for cruising in French Polynesia  ....

Sony RX10IV

GoPro 7 with a 50/50 dome

DJI drone with ND filter kit

The RX10IV does everything well. With a 24-600mm equivalent lens with a power zoom it's so capable. GoPro with dome for underwater snorkeling. DJI drone for the overhead video shots. 

I also bring along a Black Magic sling, a Sony flash for on-camera and one off camera that I can control from the flash on-camera. 

I know  ... a lot but actually very light compared to previous years when I would bring Sony A7III and an assortment of lenses. 

Make sure you read the rules about taking cameras in the cabin.  Must be able to power on or they will confiscate it.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Intrepidgranny said:

Make sure you read the rules about taking cameras in the cabin.  Must be able to power on or they will confiscate it.  

Thanks for your concern  ... been taking cameras to French Polynesia every year for the last 22  .... I occasionally get check out when leaving Tahiti and they make me turn off and on the cameras but never a problem going on-board with everything ... just part of the routine 😉

• Like 2

On 6/21/2021 at 10:40 AM, Debbie819 said:

Thank you all for the great suggestions. I am going to try a new lighter lens and a new strap!! 

Debbie I made a finger strap for my 6000 it is so much easier to carry around in your palm and it also drop proof , and fingers are always on on/off button and dial. You can get them on Amazon  too. I have  osteoarthritis in my hands and this great weight distribution 😎  . Please try the finger strap it truly made the difference for next. 

12074E61-9B34-4D9E-9374-13C5ED9DDC9B.jpeg

2514694C-0259-4E06-B5FF-51E043CEEDDE.jpeg

999BDC34-F61D-41C1-A546-D0445B2F968D.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2021 at 8:29 AM, twangster said:

My primary camera is a Sony A7III.  If you think your A6000 is heavy try a full frame camera which use full frame lenses that are much heavier!

Along with my A7III I carry a Sony RX100M6.  Yes it is expensive but I shoot everything in RAW and the RX100M6 allows shooting in RAW plus it has a great zoom lens that covers a broad range.  

The RX100 is always in my pocket when I leave my cabin.  The A7III is a fantastic camera but it is big and heavy and sometimes I don't want to carry it everywhere or on all types of excursions.  The RX100 is a lot more discreet which comes in handy many places.

There is a reason the RX100 cameras carry a hefty price but for me it's worth it.  I've actually sold some of my RX100M6 photos to a cruise line that they are using for marketing purposes.

I picked up an older used RX100 early model pretty cheap in the used market for a budding photographer I know.  Coupled with a few new batteries an older RX100 is a great travel camera for those on a budget.  The newer RX cameras use the same menu system with their bigger cousins so the only disadvantage of an older RX is learning a slightly different menu system.  Even the original RX100 is a pretty decent camera.

I have tried going with a phone as my camera and that sort of works in select places but even the newest phones don't hold a candle to a used point and shoot camera despite what the fanboys say.  

I second this. I have an a7rii and several lenses which do travel with me, but I am selective about when to use them. But I never leave the ship (or home) without my RX100vi. If you are looking on the used market, though, keep in mind that on models prior to the vi (6) the zoom is 24-70mm. On the vi and vii the zoom is 24-200, with a slightly smaller maximum f-stop.