My American Countess May 23 review

Beth Y

Thank you for this review.  One thing that often surprises first-time river cruisers (in Europe or the US) is how the small size of the ship affects both choices and prices.  With so few passengers, it isn't possible to offer the range of food or activities that a large ocean ship can have.  And likewise the costs of the voyage must be borne by a much smaller number of paying guests, so small-ship cruise fares will always be higher than the perceived luxury compared to a large ocean ship.  I'm glad you enjoyed the cruise in the end and would book again with AQSC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

Thank you for this review.  One thing that often surprises first-time river cruisers (in Europe or the US) is how the small size of the ship affects both choices and prices.  With so few passengers, it isn't possible to offer the range of food or activities that a large ocean ship can have.  And likewise the costs of the voyage must be borne by a much smaller number of paying guests, so small-ship cruise fares will always be higher than the perceived luxury compared to a large ocean ship.  I'm glad you enjoyed the cruise in the end and would book again with AQSC.

The other thing that will make these river cruises in the US cost more is that they have to hire a mostly American crew/staff and so will have to pay them higher wages.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for your review.  Like you, this will be our first river cruise after many ocean cruises.

We will be taking this same route beginning on board July 4.  I am disappointed for our cruise, the Vicksburg Battlefield tour has been returned to premium status.  We were originally to have been on board in April, but AQSC booted us (booked as a guarantee).  😞  But...great positive is they upgraded our cabin to the top level.  So we'll take it!

Your report of staying in another location prior to the hotel the cruise company chose was very reassuring since we are doing the same. 

Your tips about breakfast, lunch, and room service are appreciated.  I know on the earlier cruises, room service wasn't available.  Glad to hear it has been re-instated.

We're ready to give river cruising a chance after not traveling for such a long period of time!

On 6/15/2021 at 3:30 AM, shipgeeks said:

Thank you for your review.

I notice that the Area was shown as Africa.  Is that correct?

No! Can't imagine how Africa got in there!  WhenI wrote the review there was no option for Memphis for the departure port, so I had to put in New Orleans.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Beth Y said:

No! Can't imagine how Africa got in there!  WhenI wrote the review there was no option for Memphis for the departure port, so I had to put in New Orleans.

Maybe they thought you were on a Nile River cruise from Memphis, Egypt.☺️

• Haha 1

So nice to see another review.  Thank you for sharing.

Our first in this cruise category as well but has been on our bucket list!  We depart Aug 1 Memphis to New Orleans.  I have wanted to see Natchez for a long time.  Found a DIY walking tour on line that I think we will use.  Would like opportunity to go inside one mansion to tour - any recommendations?  Even on large cruise ships we always prefer bfast and lunch in the buffet vs dining room for many of same reasons you noted. I just booked the Vicksburg excursion - that is favorite for my husband.  Someone who lives in Louisiana said we would enjoy the small quaint St. Francesville.  What were your thoughts on Nottaway?  Our one night pre-cruise hotel is Guesthouse at Graceland.  We are flying in early to do a Graceland tour - another first!!  Staying a few extra days in NOLA in Garden District.

Gardenbunny, I liked the Monmouth Historic Inn in Natchez.  After the tour they served us mint juleps or sweet tea in this lovely courtyard.  We just didn't have enough time there to really see everything.

I LOVED Nottoway, and we had plenty of time to tour the house and walk around the property.  I want to stay at their resort one day!

I'm not an Elvis fan, but I really liked the Graceland tour!  There are frequent shuttles from the Guest House.  Lunch at Vernon's Smokehouse was very  good!

C837A4A1-5228-4363-8A95-43FBA2704E1A.jpeg

026B1536-5FAC-4DA4-B0A7-BD1F2D921DCC.jpeg

A7E4F8D7-44D7-484A-BF21-3B45BAACA1B0.jpeg

C54B6DD0-3309-4974-9325-F381EE2F95CC.jpeg

9095461A-77DB-4305-900C-D81AD0D9D7E5.jpeg

Edited by Beth Y

It's Vernon's Smokehouse.  It's near the main entrance in the Graceland complex.  The meal deals were very good.  I had this four-meat platter with two sides, cornbread, a drink, and the most amazing banana cream pie. 😊

25F76376-36DA-4BF3-82EF-73B2223E853A.jpeg

Edited by Beth Y
Correction
  • Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 9:59 AM, Beth Y said:

It's Vernon's Smokehouse.  It's near the main entrance in the Graceland complex.  The meal deals were very good.  I had this four-meat platter with two sides, cornbread, a drink, and the most amazing banana cream pie. 😊

25F76376-36DA-4BF3-82EF-73B2223E853A.jpeg

Oh, wow!  That looks delicious.  Will have to give it a try.

• 3 weeks later...

If you’re in Memphis, you should go to Graceland if you have any interest in music. We’re not Elvis fans but thought the visit was very good. 

I am quite interested in the Civil War so I recommend the Vicksburg tour even if it’s a premium tour. Angola Prison was surprising and quite good too.

We were on the May 16 Countess cruise.