Questions for past Fall Foliage cruisers

jklc123

We are looking forward to our Oct. 16 Hudson River cruise, postponed from last year. I have three questions regarding the excursions:

1. Is the ship docked at any ports where walking from the ship to nearby village or town is convenient? It looks like Historic Catskill Point would be one. Any suggestions?

2. On the day the Lyndhurst Mansion and Washington Irving’s Sleepy Hollow are the excursions offered (both for a fee), it doesn’t make sense to me to be bused from and to the ship twice (about half an hour each way) when one could walk about a mile  from one site to the other. I wonder if ACL would pack a lunch for us we could carry and picnic at the mansion after the tour there and walk and meet the Sunneyside tour, if the weather is good, of course. Would this make sense?

3. After the tours at various sites, is there much time to explore a little on your own, or just a little time to hit the gift shops?

Any comments about this cruise would be very much appreciated!

Hi - I'm not a past Hudson River cruiser on ACL - in fact, our first ACL cruise is this weekend from Seattle (Puget Sound). However, I can speak to your first question, as we're locals who live just north of Catskill. The Village of Catskill is easily walked from Catskill Point, although it is uphill along Main Street to get there - I would call it moderately strenuous. Catskill Point itself is great - wonderful views of the Hudson and the  mouth of the Catskill Creek, the Rip Van Winkle Bridge, and Olana, the home of Frederick Church on the other side of the river. There is a small museum at the Freightmaster's Building.

If you're going to pick one ship excursion, I'd go to Olana. The house is fascinating and the river view is spectacular, especially in the fall.

I'd be happy to help with questions about some of your other stops. I've worked in Albany for 37 years, DH currently works in Troy, and he previously worked in Kingston and Poughkeepsie, so we know the area well.

• Thanks 1

Kathy, Thanks very much for your post. I doubted any past cruisers would see my post so I’m glad you responded.

The only other stop where we would have significant DYI time will be Albany. The only two excursions there don’t interest us (half day bus tour of Albany and Troy Lock and Dam cruise). Shuttle service from and to the ship will be provided all day, so we’re thinking of using the shuttle to visit the NY State Museum.  Anything else in that area that we could easily walk to? Restaurant in the area if we decide to do lunch in town?

Upon researching the ports, I’ve realized we will undoubtedly wish we could have more time at some of the stops, but that’s always true of cruises. We’ve been thoroughly spoiled by all-inclusive river trips abroad and DH is over road trips — changing hotels every couple of nights and navigating unfamiliar areas annoys him!

I’m impressed by how many cruises you have taken — a real Carnival fan! I’ll be interested to hear about your Puget Sound cruise. That’s an area I have my eye on for travel as my parents lived in that area a year or so when my Dad was posted to an army base there during WW II.

Thanks again and bon  voyage!

Linda

7 hours ago, jklc123 said:

The only other stop where we would have significant DYI time will be Albany. The only two excursions there don’t interest us (half day bus tour of Albany and Troy Lock and Dam cruise). Shuttle service from and to the ship will be provided all day, so we’re thinking of using the shuttle to visit the NY State Museum.  Anything else in that area that we could easily walk to? Restaurant in the area if we decide to do lunch in town?,

Hi Linda - The museum definitely is worth a visit. The collections are very good and cover lots of history, nature and culture for the entire state. The World Trade Center exhibit is very moving, although nothing like the memorial in NYC. If you're going to visit the museum, I would cross the street to the Empire State Plaza. The museum (Cultural Education Center) is at one end and the State Capitol building is at the other, and between are a series of futuristic buildings housing state agencies, sculptures and a mobile, and fountains. (Much more impressive on the outside than the inside.) Underneath the plaza is a concourse connecting the entire complex with displays of modern art (much of which was selected by then-Governor Nelson Rockefeller). https://empirestateplaza.ny.gov/

Next to the museum is the Roman Catholic Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, which dates from 1852: https://cathedralic.com/.

As for food, a few blocks west of the museum is Lark Street, which has a number of good restaurants: https://larkstreetbid.org/places/category/restaurants-1/. Lark Street is a quirky, fun neighborhood.

Hope this helps! I'll be sure to post about our Puget Sound experience.

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, PeabodyMa said:

• How many electrical plugs are available for our use?

• Do any rooms have mini-fridge?

thank you.

On the outlets - we have plenty, more than we ever had on any of our main line cruises. There also was a hub with ports for phones and tablets.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, PeabodyMa said:

Host Jazzbeau, thank you.

is there a safe in the ACL staterooms or in the suites? 

I have no idea [have never sailed on ACL].  But they are usually pretty obvious on a ship because they take up room you might be able to use otherwise, so I would take @nybumpkin's tentative negative as a No.

• Thanks 1

On Constellation Alaska cruise we were in a suite and had a refrigerator and a safe.   Most meals moved along at a sluggish but acceptable speed.  Most food was very good.  Some of the servers were very new at being a wait staff and needed more training, others quite good.  Everyone pleasant.  We enjoyed our 5th cruise with ACL and booked 2 more while onboard.  We currently have 3 booked with ACL, 1 with Pearl Seas, 2 with NCL, and 1 with Princess.

Thank you, jebhoward3. That's wonderful news. For me, a suite is the way to go. And I'd stick with either the Constellation or Constitution. Your reply has made a big impact on our travel plans. Thank you! Excellent... a refrig and a safe. I don't mind having new crew. The excursion choices and opportunities are good. Happy travels!