Royal Caribbean cruises scrapped because of strict Island Covid-19 rules

Charles4515

Yes,  the  Covid rules for Bermuda are daunting, but it is the pre test within 3 days  and the travel authorization form timeline that are  the most difficult.  I think the passengers of the larger RCi ships would  not be happy with those rules currently. 

2 hours ago, Azulann said:

Covid rules for Bermuda are daunting, but it is the pre test within 3 days  and the travel authorization form timeline that are  the most difficult.

Sure there are some hoops to jump through but I don't know if I would call it daunting. We had a relatively easy time of it when we went last year-- honestly the worst part of it was having to quarantine in your hotel room until the airport test they administer came back (which I'm not sure is even a thing anymore?). Looking out at the water and knowing you couldn't leave your hotel room was miserable. 

Hawaii has similar restrictions and tons of folks are handling it fine right now. 

• Like 1

By daunting I mean that   many of us have Viking Air. we are flying in on a Tuesday the first day of cruise. So therefor one must have a PCR Covid test on Friday with 24 hr turn around. That I hard to find a place with a lab that can do it in one day. These cost anywhere from $100 to $300.  On Sunday one must send in the negative test as part of the Bermuda  travel form that you apply for on line  . This past weekend many cruisers  did the test, got their negative results,  filled out form but did not receive approved from Bermuda. Many called the hotline, but there was at one time a 5 hr wait. By Monday , many finally got through to the hotline and were approved by email in ten minutes.  This document must be printed and each airline will  scrutinize  at check in counter, No  online checked with airlines one must  do it at the counter at first airport you are leaving from,

So daunting or easy , one can pick the adjective one wants. Looks like your experience was not daunting. 

BTW, after  another test at airport in Bermuda all  Viking guest will go to ship to wait the results. 

I will be doing this in July ,but the Covid rules might be changed again....

This will be my first trip to Bermuda. 

• 1 month later...

I am in Bermuda right now.  I did a test in NYC (actually two, the private place never emailed me my results), then another test at the airport when I landed, then another on day 3 here (it was supposed to be day 4, but the email I got set my appointment on day 3).  I had to fill out a form on their website beforehand as well and pay $75.  For the day 3 test, I had to wait on a line for 45 minutes (if you get to the site early, I imagine you will save some time). 

The average traveler will not go through all this trouble just to go on vacation.  The first day quarantine, I got my results about six hours later emailed to me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, epanchenko said:

I am in Bermuda right now.  I did a test in NYC (actually two, the private place never emailed me my results), then another test at the airport when I landed, then another on day 3 here (it was supposed to be day 4, but the email I got set my appointment on day 3).  I had to fill out a form on their website beforehand as well and pay $75.  For the day 3 test, I had to wait on a line for 45 minutes (if you get to the site early, I imagine you will save some time). 

The average traveler will not go through all this trouble just to go on vacation.  The first day quarantine, I got my results about six hours later emailed to me.

I love Bermuda and I am not motivated to go through all that trouble.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2021 at 11:28 AM, Azulann said:

By daunting I mean that   many of us have Viking Air. we are flying in on a Tuesday the first day of cruise. So therefor one must have a PCR Covid test on Friday with 24 hr turn around. That I hard to find a place with a lab that can do it in one day. These cost anywhere from $100 to $300.  On Sunday one must send in the negative test as part of the Bermuda  travel form that you apply for on line  . This past weekend many cruisers  did the test, got their negative results,  filled out form but did not receive approved from Bermuda. Many called the hotline, but there was at one time a 5 hr wait. By Monday , many finally got through to the hotline and were approved by email in ten minutes.  This document must be printed and each airline will  scrutinize  at check in counter, No  online checked with airlines one must  do it at the counter at first airport you are leaving from,

So daunting or easy , one can pick the adjective one wants. Looks like your experience was not daunting. 

BTW, after  another test at airport in Bermuda all  Viking guest will go to ship to wait the results. 

I will be doing this in July ,but the Covid rules might be changed again....

This will be my first trip to Bermuda. 

I was able to submit my authorization/pcr test results to my airline electronically here in the United States and was able to check in via the app.  Coming back from Bermuda though, I had to check in at the counter to show the negative PCR test.

5 minutes ago, epanchenko said:

I was able to submit my authorization/pcr test results to my airline electronically here in the United States and was able to check in via the app.  Coming back from Bermuda though, I had to check in at the counter to show the negative PCR test.

Good to hear about your experience going to Bermuda on a land vacation. 
Hope you had a great time. I sure did on my cruise and the various places I explored on Bermuda. 
Covid testing is part of the new way to travel to foreign places  !

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

I hope that by next May, those pre-tests and applications to Bermuda will be dropped.  What if I can't get the results on time?  My husband and I are fully vaccinated.

Everyone who has been on the ships that have resumed cruises to Bermuda are fully vaccinated . While it can be a pain to deal with Bermuda's testing requirements passengers have been able to comply and get tested in time to take their cruises.

Just out of curiosity, my husband and I have an April cruise to Bermuda booked. Are these requirements for everyone on board or just if you want to get off in Bermuda? We’ve been to Bermuda several times, and I’m ok with just staying on the ship for those days.Both of us are vaccinated and know we’ll have to take Covid tests at the pier. Since I work at a hospital I’ve taken so many Covid tests it’s ridiculous! But I don’t know that a stroll around the Dockyards is worth $75 and another Covid test…

13 minutes ago, cooncat_mom said:

Just out of curiosity, my husband and I have an April cruise to Bermuda booked. Are these requirements for everyone on board or just if you want to get off in Bermuda? We’ve been to Bermuda several times, and I’m ok with just staying on the ship for those days.Both of us are vaccinated and know we’ll have to take Covid tests at the pier. Since I work at a hospital I’ve taken so many Covid tests it’s ridiculous! But I don’t know that a stroll around the Dockyards is worth $75 and another Covid test…

Everyone on the ship must comply with all of Bermuda's protocols even though everyone on the ship must be vaccinated . You're legally in Bermuda when the ship enters its territorial waters so whether you step off the ship is irrelevant. 

Remember that the primary purpose of Bermuda's cruise passenger protocols is to protect the residents of the country from disease being imported and spread by visitors . Even if you never step off the ship if you're COVID positive you can spread the virus to other passengers and crew who may be going ashore, and they can then spread the virus to the Bermudians they come in contact with. As it's possible for those who are vaccinated to harbor the virus asymptomatically it's necessary to test all passengers to minimize the chances of that spread happening.