What is Your Favorite Meal at Home you Miss while you're Sailing.......

BklynBoy8

42 minutes ago, seamus69 said:

out of my league and probably too dry for me.

I don't like to brag but I drink only the finest screw-top wines....😉

LOL.......I love all kinds of wines but that one? It is over a grand a bottle😮.......I can find something I like for just a bit less than that LOL..........

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 6:47 PM, seamus69 said:

I miss having nice breakfasts.  I haven't been on a cruise yet where I saw anything impressive, unusual, or inspiring for breakfast

HAL's MDR Breakfast Menu always has Swedish Pancakes.  That is something that I wouldn't fix for myself and local restaurants don't offer them.  IHOP does, but, it's too far for me to drive in the morning just to have breakfast.  They are as good as what I remember having on Royal Viking Sky.  

On 2/5/2022 at 7:46 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

How about Eggs Benedict made with fillet mignon?

On 2/6/2022 at 9:10 AM, seamus69 said:

I could definitely enjoy that!

I like Eggs Benedict as well including the varied types of the original, i.e. Eggs Florentine, etc.  One Eggs Benedict version you probably would not care for is the version that is prepared with Dungeness crab.  The Pan Pacific Hotel in Vancouver makes a really good breakfast entree of that form of Eggs Benedict.  

Edited by rkacruiser

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

HAL's MDR Breakfast Menu always has Swedish Pancakes.  That is something that I wouldn't fix for myself and local restaurants don't offer them.  IHOP does, but, it's too far for me to drive in the morning just to have breakfast.  They are as good as what I remember having on Royal Viking Sky.  

I like Eggs Benedict as well including the varied types of the original, i.e. Eggs Florentine, etc.  One Eggs Benedict version you probably would not care for is the version that is prepared with Dungeness crab.  The Pan Pacific Hotel in Vancouver makes a really good breakfast entree of that form of Eggs Benedict.  

I love crab meat on my eggs Benedict.  It’s the Canadian bacon I am not crazy about.  I’d prefer a good piece of pit smoked ham instead.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

OK…OK…how about Mouton?? 😁

Is that Mouton Cadet?........those run anywhere from 10-20 bucks per bottle. Sounds good to me🙂

I did see some by Rothschild at 2500.00 per bottle....not for me LOL

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lois R said:

Is that Mouton Cadet?........those run anywhere from 10-20 bucks per bottle. Sounds good to me🙂

If you know where to go you can find a new bottle of LaFite R for about $790.  A bottle of Mouton Cadet Rothschild will go for about $600+.  The Chinese have driven up the prices.  They are paying 10,000 Euros per case for the LaFite R.  To tell the truth…I’m just as happy with some of the Napa wines!  I have a love for Frei Brothers a boutique Cabernet still under $20.00.  I still have some 2001 in my fridge.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

If you know where to go you can find a new bottle of LaFite R for about $790.  A bottle of Mouton Cadet Rothschild will go for about $600+.  The Chinese have driven up the prices.  They are paying 10,000 Euros per case for the LaFite R.  To tell the truth…I’m just as happy with some of the Napa wines!  I have a love for Frei Brothers a boutique Cabernet still under $20.00.  I still have some 2001 in my fridge.  

Price is no object for my favorites like Boones Farm, Arbor Mist, or Manischewitz.  I pay the $5 or so and don't look back!

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Good morning, Oh, I love California wines too😃

4 hours ago, seamus69 said:

Price is no object for my favorites like Boones Farm, Arbor Mist, or Manischewitz.  I pay the $5 or so and don't look back!

Actually…Manischewitz makes a Concord grape wine that is great to cook with, in place of Port, and makes a very nice cordial or a wine cooler.  

23 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Actually…Manischewitz makes a Concord grape wine that is great to cook with, in place of Port, and makes a very nice cordial or a wine cooler.  

Hi, maybe it is because I have memories of drinking it for the holidays as a kid but I have  no taste for drinking Manny's....no thanks.

10 hours ago, seamus69 said:

I began my transition in beverage preferences with Blue Nun.  

22 hours ago, Lois R said:

During cruises, I have attended wine tastings that included some expensive wines and have always found them lacking according to my tastes.  Most disappointing has been Opus One.  I have tried this during a few tastings.  What's the big deal about it other than its "reputation"?  

Paying such astronomical prices for a beverage that is going in one end and coming out the other:  impossible for me to justify such an experience.  

23 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

t’s the Canadian bacon I am not crazy about.  I’d prefer a good piece of pit smoked ham instead.

Canadian bacon is something that I don't eat very often.  So, I enjoy it.  With regard to versions of Eggs Benedict, other than the original and the ones with Dungeness Crab, Eggs Florentine is my third favorite version.  (I like spinach:  fresh or cooked.)

What I don't like are whatever version of Eggs Benedict that are cooked in the Lido Restaurants of ships when there is vinegar in the cooking water for the eggs.  There is too often a vinegar taste that does nothing to make the dish taste good.  

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I began my transition in beverage preferences with Blue Nun.  

During cruises, I have attended wine tastings that included some expensive wines and have always found them lacking according to my tastes.  Most disappointing has been Opus One.  I have tried this during a few tastings.  What's the big deal about it other than its "reputation"?  

Paying such astronomical prices for a beverage that is going in one end and coming out the other:  impossible for me to justify such an experience.  

Canadian bacon is something that I don't eat very often.  So, I enjoy it.  With regard to versions of Eggs Benedict, other than the original and the ones with Dungeness Crab, Eggs Florentine is my third favorite version.  (I like spinach:  fresh or cooked.)

What I don't like are whatever version of Eggs Benedict that are cooked in the Lido Restaurants of ships when there is vinegar in the cooking water for the eggs.  There is too often a vinegar taste that does nothing to make the dish taste good.  

Blue Nun and Mateus…LOL.  I take great pleasure in finding obscure wines that taste as good as the famous French marks.  You’d be amazed with some of the varietals I’ve come up with…like Bulls Blood from Romania or Cabernets grown in Italy.  

Using white vinegar to cohere the poached eggs is a cooking trick a lot of chefs use.  The problem comes when would-be chefs add too much vinegar to the water…less is more…a little goes a long way.  So little that you shouldn’t taste it at all.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Mateus…LOL.

I forgot about Mateus as part of my transition.  

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The problem comes when would-be chefs add too much vinegar to the water…less is more…a little goes a long way.  So little that you shouldn’t taste it at all.

That's ideal.  In my experience, Lido Restaurant cooks lack that knowledge at times.  The best Eggs Benedict (or their variations) are served from the galleys of the MDR.  

You all are aging me.......😮...Matues, Blue Nun,...........omg.......I remember those from way, way, back........remember Lancer's? Same genre........or the old commercial........Riunite....on ice.......that's nice LOL

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Lois R said:

You all are aging me.......😮...Matues, Blue Nun,...........omg.......I remember those from way, way, back........remember Lancer's? Same genre........or the old commercial........Riunite....on ice.......that's nice LOL

And lest we forget that famous elixir we drank in high school, the preferred drink of winos, RIPPLE!!  LOL!!  It was an invidious version of American sangria.  So many kids that I knew got sick on it…so sick that they didn’t go near red wine until they were adults.  

On 2/17/2022 at 7:44 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Using white vinegar to cohere the poached eggs is a cooking trick a lot of chefs use.  The problem comes when would-be chefs add too much vinegar to the water…less is more…a little goes a long way.  So little that you shouldn’t taste it at all.

I agree that too much vinegar in the water is a mistake IF you use lemon juice (as 90% of modern chefs do) as the acid in the hollandaise.  I don't find the the mix of lemon juice and vinegar together pleasing. 

I actually prefer to use a vinegar as the acid in the sauce which is admittedly, less common, but creates a very nice flavor as long as you don't overdo the amount.  Also if you accidentally use more vinegar in the poaching water, it is doesn't clash with the sauce as much even if it is not the same type of vinegar.

36 minutes ago, seamus69 said:

I agree that too much vinegar in the water is a mistake IF you use lemon juice (as 90% of modern chefs do) as the acid in the hollandaise.  I don't find the the mix of lemon juice and vinegar together pleasing. 

I actually prefer to use a vinegar as the acid in the sauce which is admittedly, less common, but creates a very nice flavor as long as you don't overdo the amount.  Also if you accidentally use more vinegar in the poaching water, it is doesn't clash with the sauce as much even if it is not the same type of vinegar.

A very good hack…I will give it a shot.🙂

On 2/19/2022 at 4:40 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

And lest we forget that famous elixir we drank in high school, the preferred drink of winos, RIPPLE!!  LOL!!  It was an invidious version of American sangria.  So many kids that I knew got sick on it…so sick that they didn’t go near red wine until they were adults.  

Hi.....thinking back....isn't ripple "sickly sweet"?😲

35 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi.....thinking back....isn't ripple "sickly sweet"?😲

Absolutely sickening sweet…or just sickening.  More of my friends got sick on that awful stuff in high school…lol.  Then they switched to shots of ginger brandy or blackberry brandy and beer…lol.  That’s when I learned to drink peppermint schnapps and beer…still good today.