What is Your Favorite Meal at Home you Miss while you're Sailing.......

BklynBoy8

12 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Black Forest Ham

I have wondered what makes Black Forest Ham special?

12 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Finding really good rye bread is another problem.

If you have a Kroger or one of the Kroger brand stores near you, the store might carry Private Selection (a Kroger brand) dark Rye Wide Pan Bread that has Caraway Seeds.  The bread is dense and full flavored.  

8 hours ago, Lois R said:

.has a good deep texture and when I toast it? Always toasts to perfection🙂

That has been my experience with the Private Selection bread I mentioned.  

16 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Black Forest Ham sounds delish.  Our grocery deli does sliced spiral ham and it really makes a great ham sandwich.  Finding really good rye bread is another problem.  I was spoiled as a child.  One of my best friends came from a family owned German bakery.  I used to hang out with my friend there after school.  They made the rye breads in these ancient wooden tubs that were seasoned with rye starter dough.  The big round loaves were then fed into a coal fired oven that had to be 15 feet deep.  I still dream about that rye bread.

We blessed to have Zum S a distance away but I would drive miles to get there. We buy the same Rye they serve warm at the table with butter in the retail store.

I also remember visiting a bread bakery on Friday nights when open to public. We use to walk thru the entire bakery and see the whole process and the smells! Then at the end of the line we would grab brown bags and just grab the rolls, loaves of all kind of breads and types and more. The cost was half at that time of night. We got to get what we wanted before they were loaded on the truck for deliveries at around 1-2AM for following morning.

My Loving Dad use to like to have leftover bread from the dinner table in restaurant as dessert with butter. Better then cake and etc....

Use to get a sandwich in the World Trade Center restaurant with Black Rye Bread, Black Forest Ham, Dill Butter on side and a sweet danish mustard. Of course a Half Sour Pickle, my favorite pickle.

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I have wondered what makes Black Forest Ham special?

The black forest ham of our favorite Germany restaurant get the ham from Germany's Black Forest as many of their items that they place on their shelves.

The ham is brought over. The ham's surface is bathed with beef blood that gives the color. And certain local spices and baked here.

It is a one of a kind taste and presented on the bread that works with the taste. 

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, BklynBoy8 said:

The black forest ham of our favorite Germany restaurant get the ham from Germany's Black Forest as many of their items that they place on their shelves.

The ham is brought over. The ham's surface is bathed with beef blood that gives the color. And certain local spices and baked here.

It is a one of a kind taste and presented on the bread that works with the taste. 

Only in New York…could you find such deli meats.  The best we have here is Boers Head and their deli meats are not the be-all end-all that some people think they are.  Our German deli selections are pretty pedestrian around here.  

5 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Only in New York…could you find such deli meats.  The best we have here is Boers Head and their deli meats are not the be-all end-all that some people think they are.  Our German deli selections are pretty pedestrian around here.  

I think with the 5 boros and parts of New Jersey, it would multiple lifetimes to cover all the good places around here.

Being such a Melting Pot of cultures our area of Brooklyn near the VZ Bridge we have at least dozens ethic style cultures restaurants. You find more restaurants than parking meters, parking spaces and street lights.

Of course we have our favorites we like to visit and order in from.

On 3/25/2022 at 11:00 AM, BklynBoy8 said:

I think with the 5 boros and parts of New Jersey, it would multiple lifetimes to cover all the good places around here.

You are so lucky! It wouldn't even take a full weekend around here...sigh

5 hours ago, Seamus6 said:

You are so lucky! It wouldn't even take a full weekend around here...sigh

You have my sympathy....

It's like a Globe or the UN of country tastes even now many Food Trucks serve Sidewalk Style...

On 3/24/2022 at 9:29 PM, BklynBoy8 said:

The ham is brought over. The ham's surface is bathed with beef blood that gives the color.

On 3/25/2022 at 5:20 AM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Only in New York…could you find such deli meats.  The best we have here is Boers Head and their deli meats are not the be-all end-all that some people think they are

My upscale grocer sells Boar's Head deli meats and I have not found them to be any more special in quality or taste than Kroger's Private Selection or Eckrich or Oscar Meyer, etc.  There is one "quality", however, in which Boar's Head is "special":  the price per pound.  Even my Kroger Marketplace (a superstore type grocery) now has Boar's Head deli meats.  Must be more profit in selling those "upscale brands" than in what had been sold previously.  

13 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

My upscale grocer sells Boar's Head deli meats and I have not found them to be any more special in quality or taste than Kroger's Private Selection or Eckrich or Oscar Meyer, etc.  There is one "quality", however, in which Boar's Head is "special":  the price per pound.  Even my Kroger Marketplace (a superstore type grocery) now has Boar's Head deli meats.  Must be more profit in selling those "upscale brands" than in what had been sold previously.  

The one thing good about the speciality restaurants with retail stores they have their products shipped direct from across the pond.

Zum Stam is like a toy store to me, when I go inside I would like to buy one of everything. Well we do. I get fresh things and also others to use in the future direct from Germany.

Since they are quite away from home, we make it a day enjoy bring goodies home.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2022 at 9:17 PM, rkacruiser said:

Amen to that RK.  Way back when I was doing a culinary stint in a meat market I would lend a hand at the deli counter on occasion.  I learned what was upscale and truly better quality.  Boars Head is good but not always the best.  I’m not shy when it comes to suggesting alternative deli meats to complete strangers at the deli counter…lol.  I’ve often gotten a thank you.  People tend to settle in for boiled ham when they could be having sliced spiral or Black Forest!  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Amen to that RK.  Way back when I was doing a culinary stint in a meat market I would lend a hand at the deli counter on occasion.  I learned what was upscale and truly better quality.  Boars Head is good but not always the best.  I’m not shy when it comes to suggesting alternative deli meats to complete strangers at the deli counter…lol.  I’ve often gotten a thank you.  People tend to settle in for boiled ham when they could be having sliced spiral or Black Forest!  

We also like in the NY area Dietz & Watson very much. 

On 4/1/2022 at 11:03 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

People tend to settle in for boiled ham when they could be having sliced spiral or Black Forest!  

A Grilled Black Forest Ham and Swiss Cheese on dark Rye Bread Sandwich is on my menu for this evening.  Private Selection all.  

• Like 1

• 10 months later...