Art Auctions?

MikeKool

34 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

yes I agree.  What I do is actually sneak a lot of photos of them with my camera when no one is looking.

In fact I find art shows on a ship annoying.  Who goes on a cruise to buy art?????  come on stop the nonsense.....  I would do bingo before I would ever buy art.

Apparently some folks do.  You do your thing and have a grand time, others will and should do the same.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

yes I agree.  What I do is actually sneak a lot of photos of them with my camera when no one is looking.

In fact I find art shows on a ship annoying.  Who goes on a cruise to buy art?????  come on stop the nonsense.....  I would do bingo before I would ever buy art.

Gee must be hard not everyone enjoys all the same exact things you do.  

• Like 2

Do they still have BINGO for fun and money prizes?

A few yrs ago, I think they wanted to switch to some type of costly electronic version of that and trivia.....not sure if they introduced it or if they did  how it was received????

2 minutes ago, hcat said:

Do they still have BINGO for fun and money prizes?

A few yrs ago, I think they wanted to switch to some type of costly electronic version of that and trivia.....not sure if they introduced it or if they did  how it was received????

Yes, X did try that. I remember being in the theater one evening and they had trivia questions displayed on the screen on stage. Guests had to choose the correct answer (multiple choice) to each question on their cell phones. The fastest correct answers won something. I don’t remember what the prizes were, we weren’t interested in playing.

I think it was pretty much one and done since I haven’t seen it on any of our subsequent cruises.

7 hours ago, BigAl94 said:

Its all a huge con, only the wealthy and gullible would buy "art" on a cruise ship

Oh my!  I just learned something about myself.  I am wealthy and gullible.   🤪

Cheers!

🥂

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, bikerunner said:

Gee must be hard not everyone enjoys all the same exact things you do.  

you answer makes no sense and is snippy.  really take a poll and I bet art is way down the list for cruising.  Sorry my answer was not to your liking. move one

4 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Apparently some folks do.  You do your thing and have a grand time, others will and should do the same.

Really ART on a ship is down the list.  Go back to ROYAL's comments and read them again.

True art collectors would laugh at the cruise lines attempt to sell ART.  I see the same stupid ones on various ships as well.  The ones I like I take photos of for free.

Not saying no one else can't like ART but really it is annoying to most folks and they usually have a very small turn out.   ROYAL'S post is accurate too

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ghstudio said:

If you want memories, buy yourself a new watch, ring, necklace.  The art sold on ships is massively overvalued and then there are the add on costs...framing, etc.  You're better off buying art on EBAY.

YUP I AGREE   oops, I think I just mad a few people mad again.  oh well.  Go do trivia and learn something.

15 minutes ago, Oceansaway17 said:

YUP I AGREE   oops, I think I just mad a few people mad again.  oh well.  Go do trivia and learn something.

Wonderful how folks think others should be spending their money.  The watch you want on board is 50% more than on land, such a waste.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Oceansaway17 said:

you answer makes no sense and is snippy.  really take a poll and I bet art is way down the list for cruising.  Sorry my answer was not to your liking. move one

Was supposed to be snippy mostly because your trying to push your views as the only one that matters  Probably is way down the list that I dont disagree with that notion , but its also something most people would never do anyplace else and they only need around 5% overall participation on ships with 2000 ppl for revenue.  It takes up no space or very little overall.  Its a learning experience, you can like it or not.  There are a lot of things onboard I think are a waste of time but there are people who enjoy them.  That is the point of the large ship sailings, they try to offer lots of different things/activities/new experiences which will be unique for many people.   

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm totally supportive of the ones who say they have eyes wide open and buy things that please them anyway. Good on you for that.

That said, it saddens me the number of people who go to these auctions and, fueled by cheap prosecco, proceed to pay hundreds of dollars for basically a poster.

• Like 1

On our first cruise we bought a Serigraph. We had no intention of using it as a investment, we bought it because we like it. It remains one of my favorites. 

We don't attend the art auctions any more. They're boring and it's kind of embarrassing to watch people pay too much for over-hyped "art." We do enjoy walking though the art display on the small ships and looking at the the pictures. We may even buy something someday. Not so much on the large ships, the art auctioneers are way too pushy. I hate high-pressure commissioned salespeople!

18 hours ago, bikerunner said:

Was supposed to be snippy mostly because your trying to push your views as the only one that matters  Probably is way down the list that I dont disagree with that notion , but its also something most people would never do anyplace else and they only need around 5% overall participation on ships with 2000 ppl for revenue.  It takes up no space or very little overall.  Its a learning experience, you can like it or not.  There are a lot of things onboard I think are a waste of time but there are people who enjoy them.  That is the point of the large ship sailings, they try to offer lots of different things/activities/new experiences which will be unique for many people.   

Have to agree with this statement. I'd rather be at an art auction than playing a trivia game. Have been on 70+ cruises, various lines.......every ship has things I don't like........I just don't go and I DON'T bust on the people who do go!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2021 at 11:58 AM, C-Dragons said:

Yes, X did try that. I remember being in the theater one evening and they had trivia questions displayed on the screen on stage. Guests had to choose the correct answer (multiple choice) to each question on their cell phones. The fastest correct answers won something. I don’t remember what the prizes were, we weren’t interested in playing.

I think it was pretty much one and done since I haven’t seen it on any of our subsequent cruises.

OT but I also would not enjoy cell phone trivia. Doesn't sound like fun.

I enjoy the social interaction of pencil and paper trivia along with snacks and drinks.

5 hours ago, lyndarra said:

OT but I also would not enjoy cell phone trivia. Doesn't sound like fun.

I enjoy the social interaction of pencil and paper trivia along with snacks and drinks.

Oh, it didn’t last long. 😁

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, C-Dragons said:

Oh, it didn’t last long. 😁

People did it for free when they  first promoted the game. Very few paid to play so it went bust. That's why it ended.

Edited by Orator

18 minutes ago, Orator said:

People did it for free when they  first promoted the game. Very few paid to play so it went bust. That's why it ended.

Yes, I forgot about that. We weren’t their target audience. 😉

Edited by C-Dragons

I can take or leave the Park West auctions.  Others enjoy them.  No big deal.  But I do wish they would stop wasting so much paper with the daily mailings, invites, inserts into the daily planner. etc.  Lots of trees would be saved.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/16/2021 at 11:27 PM, Oceansaway17 said:

Really ART on a ship is down the list.  Go back to ROYAL's comments and read them again.

True art collectors would laugh at the cruise lines attempt to sell ART.  I see the same stupid ones on various ships as well.  The ones I like I take photos of for free.

Not saying no one else can't like ART but really it is annoying to most folks and they usually have a very small turn out.   ROYAL'S post is accurate too

Yep. What is sold at the art auctions on ships is generally produced in factories and printed on printing presses and the like. They take advantge of the fact that most passengers are not knowledgable about art.

6 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

Yep. What is sold at the art auctions on ships is generally produced in factories and printed on printing presses and the like. They take advantge of the fact that most passengers are not knowledgable about art.

THANKS for your comments. I rest my case.

If they generate revenue and help keep cruise prices down I am all for them.  They are easy to avoid.

I believe they are a bit of a joke.

I mean really....buying fine art or investment grade art on a cruise ship.  Give your head a shake. 

Almost akin to believing those worthless jewelry appraisal certificates that get given our like candy  (and are about as worthless) ton enhance sales in the Caribbean to luckless cruisers in stores like Diamonds International.