Cunard cancellations update 16th June

MelbTone

Just received from Cunard: that's my 2022 QM2 Melbourne-Fremantle cruise knocked out for the second year running - TBH not totally unexpectedly

Our forecasts are showing that due to the number of affected international ports of call, and when restrictions in each will be lifted, it is highly unlikely that we will be able to deliver a Cunard World Voyage experience. Therefore, we have made the decision to cancel the 2022 World Voyages on both Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria. As a result of this decision, we are sorry to advise that your voyage has been cancelled. We understand you would have been excited to sail this itinerary with us and we are sorry for the disappointment this may cause.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MelbTone said:

Just received from Cunard: that's my 2022 QM2 Melbourne-Fremantle cruise knocked out for the second year running - TBH not totally unexpectedly

Our forecasts are showing that due to the number of affected international ports of call, and when restrictions in each will be lifted, it is highly unlikely that we will be able to deliver a Cunard World Voyage experience. Therefore, we have made the decision to cancel the 2022 World Voyages on both Queen Mary 2 and Queen Victoria. As a result of this decision, we are sorry to advise that your voyage has been cancelled. We understand you would have been excited to sail this itinerary with us and we are sorry for the disappointment this may cause.

You beat me to it! I was also booked on the QM2 for Sydney to Fremantle in March. I think many people from the UK on this board will be very disappointed, also.

Perhaps not surprising, just received the email to say that our November Norwegian fjords cruise on Victoria is cancelled.

Pause in operations for Victoria is until late April 2022. 

More replacement cruises coming in July to Caribbean, Atlantic Isles and Europe

We are delighted to see the world gradually open up, as vaccine programmes and other effective measures to manage Covid-19 take effect. However, based on the latest guidance from countries we visit, we unfortunately need to make some additional changes to our published itineraries involving international ports of call.

Due to this, and the practicalities involved in returning the full Cunard fleet to service, we have taken the decision to cancel Queen Victoria's current scheduled 2021 voyages and a number of her voyages in 2022, including her World Voyage. Queen Victoria will remain out of service until late April 2022. We are therefore sorry to advise that your voyage has been cancelled.

In July, we will be launching some replacement sailings across our fleet, covering destinations such as the Caribbean, the Atlantic Isles and Europe, that we hope may be of interest to you. However, we understand you would have been excited to sail your planned itinerary with us, and we are sorry for the disappointment this may cause.

12 minutes ago, MelbTone said:

Sorry that it's bitten the dust. Have Cunard offered to increase  your deposit as a FCC by say 25% ?

Just got the cancellation email for our Sept 17 Med voyage on Queen Victoria. 

"...based on the latest guidance from countries we visit, we unfortunately need to make some additional changes to our published itineraries involving international ports of call.
Due to this, and the practicalities involved in returning the full Cunard fleet to service, we have taken the decision to cancel Queen Victoria's current scheduled 2021 voyages and a number of her voyages in 2022, including her World Voyage. Queen Victoria will remain out of service until late April 2022."

Keeping our fingers crossed for 11/21/21 QM2 Caribbean voyage.

Fortunately only the one cruise has been affected as the majority of my others weren't with Cunard.

I've read elsewhere that one Queen Victoria  fan has 5 cruises booked - that must be pretty devastating when all one's eggs are in one basket.

This also means that the Queen Victoria is out of service for over two years 😒

I am sorry for everybody who's plans and hopes have been destroyed.

I wonder why they do not offer more European, Mediterranean, Canary cruises instead of letting the QV idle around.

We are upset that our QV October Northern Lights and QV WV 2022 have been cancelled, but applaud Cunard for giving us advanced warning of what really is inevitable instead of having us wait and wonder what was going to happen. So it will be yet another try for a WV to make up for our foreshortened QM2 2020 WV!

'In place of her World Voyage, Queen Mary 2 will instead sail a series of three roundtrip voyages from Southampton to the Caribbean – one will sail via the Canary Islands and two will sail via New York - as well as three short cruise breaks. These voyages will be available to book in July.'

Is anyone able to speculate on the duration and likely stops of any of these voyages?

I'm particularly annoyed with myself as I could have gotten a Single Outside for the 2023 World Voyage but couldn't see the point of repeating the 2022 itinerary, so booked a trip with Holland America instead. If I can't get on any of the new 2022 cruises it could be 2024 before I'm back on my favourite ship. 🙁

The only crossing/cruise offering listed on the American Cunard website currently is the January 3, 2022 NYC to Soton crossing. I hope that she returns to the U.S. via the QV's cancelled route to Bermuda, Port Canaveral and Ft. Lauderdale.

1 hour ago, ubu62 said:

'In place of her World Voyage, Queen Mary 2 will instead sail a series of three roundtrip voyages from Southampton to the Caribbean – one will sail via the Canary Islands and two will sail via New York - as well as three short cruise breaks. These voyages will be available to book in July.'

The NA in Jan/Feb should be good fun!  If we weren't booked in Dec '21, I would seriously consider switching. 

I got this cancellation today as well. My confirmation says that my deposit is not refundable for any reason. Does that mean that I lose my deposit even though Cunard cancelled? That doesn’t seem right. 

23 minutes ago, Srqgal67 said:

I got this cancellation today as well. My confirmation says that my deposit is not refundable for any reason. Does that mean that I lose my deposit even though Cunard cancelled? That doesn’t seem right. 

Under UK consumer law if they cancel everything is refundable.  Cunard have been very good don't worry just ask.

• Like 1

I would be interested in a Caribbean sailing from New York that was not their typical holiday version.

I enjoyed these on QM2 in 2009 and 2010 in early December.

Or an Iberian itinerary on QE.

Anyone have a preliminary schedule through Cunard’s travel agent system yet?

My oct 20 Norway cruise is cancelled. Here is The Letter. Sorry if the right side bar obscures it 

Extending our pause in operations, selected itinerary changes and introducing new voyages.

Thank you for your incredible support of Cunard.® We understand that you, our partners working in the travel industry, continue to face great challenges, but through these times, your support and commitment have been unwavering.

We are thrilled to finally be welcoming guests back on board Queen Elizabeth® in the UK this July. While we are filled with excitement for this momentous occasion, the path for returning to international sailing is less clear. We are delighted to see the world gradually open up as vaccine programs and other effective measures to manage Covid-19 take effect. However, based on the latest guidance from countries we visit, we unfortunately need to make some additional changes to our published itineraries involving international ports of call. Further details of these changes are laid out below, along with information about new voyages which will be replacing some of these itineraries.

Due to the number of affected international ports of call, and uncertainty as to when restrictions in each will be lifted, it is highly unlikely that we will be able to deliver our forthcoming Cunard World Voyage experience. Therefore we have made the decision to cancel the 2022 World Voyages on both Queen Mary 2® and Queen Victoria.®

After completing her series of UK Staycation holidays in October, Queen Elizabeth was scheduled to return to Australia for a prolonged series of voyages. However, with the current forecasts for the lifting of restrictions in Australia, this will not be feasible. Therefore, we have made the decision to cancel all previously scheduled sailings on Queen Elizabeth between October 18, 2021 and March 9, 2022.

Due to the practicalities involved in returning the full Cunard fleet to service, we have made the decision to cancel Queen Victoria’s current scheduled 2021 voyages. Queen Victoria will remain out of service until late April 2022. However, with her sister ship Queen Elizabeth resuming sailing from July 2021 for her UK Summer at Sea program, we can confirm that after this she will now adopt a number of Queen Victoria’s itineraries (V126, V128, V129, V130, V201).

Here's Cunard President, Simon Palethorpe, explaining to your clients all of the changes we are making.

http://static.cdn.responsys.net/i2/responsysimages/cunardus/contentlibrary/2021/06/qe1ms239/images/QE1MS239_hero2.jpg

To re-cap, here is a summary of the changes:

Queen Elizabeth's Australian season, sailings from October 18, 2021 up to and including March 9, 2022 (Q132K to Q210N) are canceled.

Queen Victoria's 2022 World Voyage and the preceding voyage, as well as sailings fromSeptember 10, 2021 up to and including April 29, 2022 (V122 to V210) are canceled.

Queen Elizabeth will now be operating Queen Victoria’s voyages November 1 for 14 nights (V126), then from November 27, 2021 up to and including December 23, 2021 (V128,V129, V130, V201). Guests originally on the affected Queen Victoria voyages will be transferred to the equivalent sailings on Queen Elizabeth. We will automatically arrange this transfer, you do not need to do anything.

Queen Mary 2's 2022 World Voyage sailings from January 3, 2022 up to and including April 4, 2022(M202B to M209N) are canceled.

Guests booked on the canceled 2022 Full World Voyages (V203C, V204D, V205B, M202F, M203I) will be offered the best available matched stateroom on our 2023 Centenary Full World Voyages (M302B, M303D, V303C, V304C, V305B). All advisors with 2022 Full World Voyage guests will be contacted by us to confirm guest options, in the very near future. There is no need to call us or book a replacement stateroom in the interim.

Queen Mary 2’s season of voyages sailing from November 14, 2021 (M139D) up to and including January 3, 2022 (M202) remain scheduled to sail.
Edited by oskidunker

This is a big change to the Cunard schedule.  As someone commented, they are being extremely proactive in cancelling all the way through the first quarter of next year.  It seems to reflect general pessimism about the likelihood that COVID-19 will be controlled any time soon.  What are other cruise lines doing?

5 hours ago, alc13 said:

This is a big change to the Cunard schedule.  As someone commented, they are being extremely proactive in cancelling all the way through the first quarter of next year.  It seems to reflect general pessimism about the likelihood that COVID-19 will be controlled any time soon.  What are other cruise lines doing?

No its more that they are abandoning hope that Australia will open up in time for a 21/22 summer season down under.  With that gone - then the repositioning cruise from Barcelona/Australia can't happen. With that option out of the picture it makes no sense to bring back another ship QV when the QE is now available to do her voyages