Restart problems at RCI

caribill

The inaugural sailing of the Odyssey Of The Seas been postponed for four weeks because 8 crew members have tested positive for Covid-19.

The test cruise to prove they can sail successfully with unvaccinated passengers has also been delayed.

"The positive cases were identified after the vaccination was given and before they were fully effective."

This shows that proper testing can help accomplish the goal of making a cruise ship safe for passengers and crew.

https://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/royal-caribbean-postpones-odyssey-of-the-seas-sailing-date-after-positive-covid-19-tests/2473829/

Posted (edited)

The question then is. Were the crew members already vaccinated? Had they been negative on the testing before this test? 

Edited by 1Gizmo
spelling

The information I read on CNN

"All 1,400 crew onboard Odyssey of the Seas were vaccinated on June 4th and will be considered fully vaccinated on June 18. The positive cases were identified after the vaccination was given and before they were fully effective," Bayley said"

• Like 1

Isn't that the ship that was supposed to sail out of Israel.  The article said that they were vaccinated on June 4.  Does that mean that they intended to sail out of Israel w an unvaccinated crew?

DON

Wonder which vaccine the crew received? Neither the NBC Miami or this CC article specifies the type.

If vaccinating the crew on 6/4 was the first shot & they would be considered fully vaccinated on 6/18 maybe it was J&J or another single shot vaccine.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/ab/agents/variation-a/news/6196/

2 hours ago, 1Gizmo said:

The question then is. Were the crew members already vaccinated? Had they been negative on the testing before this test? 

Just talked to a friend who works at a senior level for RCL and he told me that all crew were tested before boarding and being tested twice a week for Covid.  He also said that some who tested positive are showing symptoms. He had no other info.

Seems like an overreaction.  If this happened during the cruise, would they suspend the cruise for another month?  I MIGHT see 2 weeks for this initial run, but even then, the crew will be on board for a month.  They've been vaccinated.  Just quarantine, remove, and move on.  Let them return when contagiousness is back to "zero."  

And FWIW, the couple that did have symptoms showed mild symptoms.  The rest none.  I suspect RCL just doesn't want to rock the boat, but rationally, the long delay doesn't make much sense.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Redwing55 said:

Seems like an overreaction.  If this happened during the cruise, would they suspend the cruise for another month?  I MIGHT see 2 weeks for this initial run, but even then, the crew will be on board for a month.  They've been vaccinated.  Just quarantine, remove, and move on.  Let them return when contagiousness is back to "zero."  

And FWIW, the couple that did have symptoms showed mild symptoms.  The rest none.  I suspect RCL just doesn't want to rock the boat, but rationally, the long delay doesn't make much sense.

I would hope they are trying to understand what might of gone wrong.

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, franktown said:

I would hope they are trying to understand what might of gone wrong.

It takes a month longer to understand that?  Even then, I'm not sure I'd say anything went wrong.  People were vaccinated, some tested positive and were appropriately acted upon.  If anything, the process worked as it identified and headed off more spread and the issue was contained.   So what is it that went wrong?

Edited by Redwing55

the crew received the second vaccination but did not wait the 14 day minimum.  They did not follow CDC guidelines and now we will probably all suffer while all cruise lines are vilified. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, RJAM3 said:

the crew received the second vaccination but did not wait the 14 day minimum.  They did not follow CDC guidelines and now we will probably all suffer while all cruise lines are vilified. 

Based on this statement none of the crew had been vaccinated when the ship arrived from Europe on 6/4. Thus the type of vaccine used was a single dosage vaccine & not 2 doses.

In a statement sent to TPG, Royal Caribbean said eight crew members on Odyssey of the Seas had tested positive for COVID-19, all on June 10. That was six days after the ship arrived in the U.S. from Europe in advance of its first sailing, which was scheduled for July 3.

At the time the ship arrived in the U.S., none of its 1,400 crew members had been vaccinated for COVID-19. But they were vaccinated soon after the ship’s arrival.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/royal-caribbean-cruise-ship-odyssey-covid/

Edited by Astro Flyer

I stand corrected.  I had read a release from a stock market report just after it was disclosed.  You are correct..it was J&J. 🥵

Posted (edited)

it's now also an issue on Anthem:

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2021/06/articles/disease/four-crew-members-test-positive-for-covid-19-on-the-anthem-of-the-seas/

“Starting today the crew onboard Anthem of the Seas will go in a so-called modified quarantine after four crew members tested positive for COVID-19 on the recent PCR test. According to our source, the 4 crew members disembarked the ship today.

It has to be more than RCI that is experiencing these startup issues

Edited by SelectSys