Shiloh Battlefield on AQSC?

Shiloh is one major civil war battlefield site I've never been to and want to see.  ACSC has a number of Tennessee River cruises, all of which stop at Savannah TN, about a dozen miles from the battlefield.  But none of them, not even the Civil War Theme Cruise, appear to offer any excursion to the battlefield.  And can't find any Shiloh tours starting in Savannah.  Hop-on/off doesn't mention the battlefield either.  Anybody know if it's possible/feasible to visit Shiloh NP during this stop?

I was on the Str. DELTA QUEEN when we landed at Pittsburg Landing which is the same landing that the Federal reinforcements landed the at. It was quite a humbling experience walking around the nearby graves of those whom gave their last measure all those years ago. Another time on the DELTA QUEEN we landed there and shore tours were offered to  Shiloh.

I would go straight to the horse's mouth call the office and ask what tours are currently offered. Or call the local heritage museum in Savannah and see if local guides give personal tours of the battlefield and area. There is a bridge at Savannah across the Tennessee River, so it's not difficult to get to the battlefield. There's also a wonderful restaurant right below  Pittsburg Landing called The Catfish Hotel that has been famous for its catfish meals for nearly a century.

Great suggestions, thank you.  But after investigating, still came up empty handed...

On 6/17/2021 at 1:30 PM, Calliope said:

I would go straight to the horse's mouth call the office and ask what tours are currently offered.

After a long time on hold, AQSC rep said "gee, that's a good question...dunno...will have to call you back" but never did.

Or call the local heritage museum in Savannah and see if local guides give personal tours of the battlefield and area.

Checked the local museum (Tennessee River Museum), but no tours from Savannah...just from another museum in the park itself, and one based in Corinth.  Museum does give voucher for park, however.

There is a bridge at Savannah across the Tennessee River, so it's not difficult to get to the battlefield.

Once across the bridge, its still a dozen miles down to the park, a bit more than I'm up to.

Dave, this is off the PDF shore excursion brochure, it's an included tour: 

Join us as we travel to one of the most informative and interesting Civil War National Parks. Shiloh National Military Park contains a wide array of historic sites.Located within the boundaries of Shiloh Park, there is also a United States National Cemetery, holding around 4,000 soldiers and their family members. A National Historic Landmark in its own right, the Shiloh Indian Mounds are also located within the park boundaries.“No soldier who took part in the two day’s engagement at Shiloh ever spoiled for a fight again,”recalled one Union veteran. “We wanted a square,stand-up fight [and] got all we wanted of it.” Besides preserving the site of the bloody April 1862’s battle in Tennessee, the park commemorates the subsequent siege, battle, and occupation of the key railroad junction at nearby Corinth, Mississippi. Join us as we continue on to one of the most informative and interesting Civil War National Parks. Shiloh National Military Park contains a wide array of historic sites. In addition to the battlefield of Shiloh itself, the park contains a separate unit at Corinth, Mississippi, that preserves and interprets the Siege and Battle of Corinth. Located within the boundaries of Shiloh Park,there is also a United States National Cemetery, which contains around 4,000 soldiers and their family members. A National Historic Landmark in its own right, the Shiloh Indian Mounds are also located within the park boundaries. 

We're sailing on the 10/31/21 Memphis to Chattanooga....Russ

• Like 1

5 hours ago, njhoo said:

Dave, this is off the PDF shore excursion brochure, it's an included tour: 

Join us as we travel to one of the most informative and interesting Civil War National Parks. Shiloh National Military Park...

I was about to respond "what PDF?" when I uncovered your response to NavyVeteran about accessing these PDFs.  So with anticipation I repeated the process for our planned cruise, which would be Chattanooga to Memphis 10/28/22.  But to my dismay there was no mention of Shiloh. Rather, for that day ("Port = Savannah, Ship = Countess"), the PDF described excursions to Angola Prison, and for the next day, Rosewood Plantation!  Ditto for the Memphis-to-Chattanooga direction. This I know is utter nonsense; they've got the whole thing garbled up.  So the fact they do not cite Shiloh probably doesn't mean they're omitting the park in 2022.

Thanks for the info, Russ.  My confidence that I can see Shiloh just went way up.  I just wish somebody in AQSC would confirm it, before I plunk down my money.  

Decided to give AQSC one more chance to answer the question.  This time I e-mailed Customer Relations -- received a prompt response confirming that yes, Shiloh tour is available from Savannah, and the web site has already been corrected.  Noticed that the tour is shown as $69, not included, but so be it.  Thanks, njhoo and Calliope (and NavyVeteran) for your help.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2021 at 10:47 AM, DaveinCharlotte said:

Decided to give AQSC one more chance to answer the question.  This time I e-mailed Customer Relations -- received a prompt response confirming that yes, Shiloh tour is available from Savannah, and the web site has already been corrected.  Noticed that the tour is shown as $69, not included, but so be it.  Thanks, njhoo and Calliope (and NavyVeteran) for your help.

Enjoy your cruise!