Hanging on Waikiki Beach

gmcwalker

Aloha, I have been to Hawaii many times especially Maui, Kauai, and the Big Island. For the first time I'm cruising there with a stop in Ohau. 

Now as I have already done a lot of activities in the islands, there is one I have never done, Hang out on Waikiki Beach which is pretty much the epitome of the old Hawaiian vacation. Thus this is what I pretty much want to do while there. Beach chair, Mai Tai, the ocean and a pool.

I'm interested in the Day use of the Beach and Pool at one of the hotels there, basically guest privileges but with transportation from the Cruise Pier 2 to the location and back. 

Any and all suggestion are appreciated as to helping me out.

Mahalo,

gmc

Edited by gmcwalker

14 hours ago, gmcwalker said:

I'm interested in the Day use of the Beach and Pool at one of the hotels there, basically guest privileges but with transportation from the Cruise Pier 2 to the location and back. 

Any and all suggestion are appreciated as to helping me out.

Very few, if any, of the major hotels directly on the beach offer this. Access to their pools are tightly regulated and for guests only. The Aston and Hyatt Regency are the only ones that come to mind that are directly on the beach. A bunch of others do as well but they are a block or two back. 

All beaches in Hawaii are public so that part isn't a problem, and you can certainly utilize any restaurants at any of the hotels there. The Mai Tai bar at the Royal Hawaiian or the outside bar at the Moana Surfrider are favorites. Not directly on the beach, but the House Without a Key at The Halekulani is wonderful. There are kiosks at most of the hotels that rent umbrellas and chairs. Some, like at the RH, will only let you reserve chairs if you are a guest of the hotel. 

If you did want to utilize some of the nicer hotel facilities like at the Royal Hawaiian (which I think is most likely the best overall hotel beach experience you can get on Waikiki) you could also just get the cheapest room they have. We've done that a few times in various places and it's not a bad solution as you have a place to shower and change. You have access to their small secluded pool, but you also get access to the much larger one at the Sheraton next door (but it doesn't work the same in reverse). 

In terms of transportation, just hop an Uber. We use them in Honolulu frequently and they are fast and relatively inexpensive. I seriously doubt any of the hotels that actually do have day passes offer shuttles. 

Thanks Ash,

I stayed at the Outrigger 15 years ago as part of sales incentive bonus. Loved Dukes and the Yellow Catamaran that sailed from the beach south of there. Went on 3 trips paid for one as the owner comped me after the first sail. Nice guy.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2021 at 11:50 AM, princeton123211 said:

Very few, if any, of the major hotels directly on the beach offer this. Access to their pools are tightly regulated and for guests only. The Aston and Hyatt Regency are the only ones that come to mind that are directly on the beach. A bunch of others do as well but they are a block or two back. 

All beaches in Hawaii are public so that part isn't a problem, and you can certainly utilize any restaurants at any of the hotels there. The Mai Tai bar at the Royal Hawaiian or the outside bar at the Moana Surfrider are favorites. Not directly on the beach, but the House Without a Key at The Halekulani is wonderful. There are kiosks at most of the hotels that rent umbrellas and chairs. Some, like at the RH, will only let you reserve chairs if you are a guest of the hotel. 

If you did want to utilize some of the nicer hotel facilities like at the Royal Hawaiian (which I think is most likely the best overall hotel beach experience you can get on Waikiki) you could also just get the cheapest room they have. We've done that a few times in various places and it's not a bad solution as you have a place to shower and change. You have access to their small secluded pool, but you also get access to the much larger one at the Sheraton next door (but it doesn't work the same in reverse). 

In terms of transportation, just hop an Uber. We use them in Honolulu frequently and they are fast and relatively inexpensive. I seriously doubt any of the hotels that actually do have day passes offer shuttles. 

On 6/18/2021 at 9:56 PM, gmcwalker said:

Thanks Ash,

I stayed at the Outrigger 15 years ago as part of sales incentive bonus. Loved Dukes and the Yellow Catamaran that sailed from the beach south of there. Went on 3 trips paid for one as the owner comped me after the first sail. Nice guy.

Love Duke's for breakfast....luckily it's always been included in our room rate.

Look at the HIlton Hawaiian Village.  I just came back from there last week.  They have an outdoor shower to wash yourself off.  It is right off the beach by the Hilton Pier.  There is plenty of beach space to enjoy.  Two of their restaurants are right on the beach so you could eat there if you want.  It is relaxing and near to where the ship docks. Part of the Hilton Village is CJ's New York Deli.  They have particularly good food. There are two ABC stores located within the property. Cheers

• Like 1

On 6/16/2021 at 9:16 PM, gmcwalker said:

I'm interested in the Day use of the Beach and Pool at one of the hotels there, basically guest privileges but with transportation from the Cruise Pier 2 to the location and back. Any and all suggestion are appreciated as to helping me out.

I know excursions like this exist for Mexico cruises, I've done this many times, but I don't ever recall seeing such an excursion on an Oahu port day.

You can easily Uber, taxi or use The Bus to get to Waikiki and there are vendors you can rent lounge chairs and an umbrella from, but you won't get pool privileges and you won't get cocktail service, or food service.

In front of the Moana or Royal Hawaiian would be my first picks in Waikiki, that is where Waikiki Beach is. The Hilton Hawaiian Village would be my third choice. It is in Waikiki, but the beach it sits on is Kahanamoku Beach.

24 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

I know excursions like this exist for Mexico cruises, I've done this many times, but I don't ever recall seeing such an excursion on an Oahu port day.

You can easily Uber, taxi or use The Bus to get to Waikiki and there are vendors you can rent lounge chairs and an umbrella from, but you won't get pool privileges and you won't get cocktail service, or food service.

In front of the Moana or Royal Hawaiian would be my first picks in Waikiki, that is where Waikiki Beach is. The Hilton Hawaiian Village would be my third choice. It is in Waikiki, but the beach it sits on is Kahanamoku Beach.

Thanks,

The cruise line actually offers a day at the beach with transportation to the Royal Hawaiian. I contacted Beach Services there and they said I would be on the beach adjacent to the hotel guest area but I would have to go up to the Mai Tai bar to order but they would pack the food to take back to my chair or I could eat there.

• Like 1

Funny, I looked on the excursion page for Oahu for the Grand Princess and it gave me a "404 ooops this page is missing" message. If it includes the pool, it is a good deal. If it does not, it is no more than what I laid out, only probably twice as expensive.

18 hours ago, gmcwalker said:

The cruise line actually offers a day at the beach with transportation to the Royal Hawaiian. I contacted Beach Services there and they said I would be on the beach adjacent to the hotel guest area but I would have to go up to the Mai Tai bar to order but they would pack the food to take back to my chair or I could eat there.

The Royal Hawaiian has a roped off guest area of a few rows of loungers, set up in twos with umbrellas, immediately adjacent to the hotel property at the back of the beach. These can only be rented by hotel guests. They usually also have loungers closer to the water in a non-roped off area, but these too are only for hotel guests. All beaches in Hawaii are public so you can intermingle at will-- aside from the roped off parts there isn't any part of the beach you cant access. 

The Mai Tai bar is through a little gate that is accessible to the public and you can also just eat either at the bar or at a bunch of adjacent tables. The drinks are good but the food is standard upscale resort fare-- I think there is better food elsewhere on the beach but its hard to beat the convenience. 

I'm not encouraging you to do this in any way, but the RH's small pool is off to the right if facing the hotel from the ocean and they rarely, if ever, check about who's using it. The Sheraton's pool next door, on the other hand, they take very seriously with wristbands etc. I believe their beach services offers outrigger rides to the public and these are a lot of fun and worth the price.

On 6/28/2021 at 1:44 PM, scottca075 said:

Funny, I looked on the excursion page for Oahu for the Grand Princess and it gave me a "404 ooops this page is missing" message. If it includes the pool, it is a good deal. If it does not, it is no more than what I laid out, only probably twice as expensive.

Here is the link. Waikiki Beach Break.    Princess Cruises - Excursion - Waikiki Beach Break

32 minutes ago, gmcwalker said:

Here is the link. Waikiki Beach Break.    Princess Cruises - Excursion - Waikiki Beach Break

So that is for  $200 for two people. It is a $15 Uber ride from the port to the Royal Hawaiian and $50 to rent two lounge chairs and an umbrella for the day; so that is $30 round trip + $50 vs $200.

If you got to use the pool at the Royal Hawaiian (Helumoa Playground, not the Malulani Pool), it would be worth it, but otherwise, I'd do it on my own.

• Like 1

Personally, If I were doing it on my own I would do umbrella and chaises in front of Outrigger Waikiki.  I love it there and getting take out from Dukes is pretty nice.  I don't know what the services are now, with Covid.  And, I'd rather float in waikiki than the pool, but that's just me.  Enjoy, Cherie

Edited by cccole
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, scottca075 said:

If you got to use the pool at the Royal Hawaiian (Helumoa Playground, not the Malulani Pool), it would be worth it, but otherwise, I'd do it on my own.

The Helumoa is really the pool complex at the Sheraton and it is much more tightly policed for non-guests than the very small Malulani pool at the Royal Hawaiian proper. Royal Hawaiian guests can use the Sheraton facilities but Sheraton guests cannot use the Royal Hawaiian facilities. 

43 minutes ago, princeton123211 said:

The Helumoa is really the pool complex at the Sheraton and it is much more tightly policed for non-guests than the very small Malulani pool at the Royal Hawaiian proper. Royal Hawaiian guests can use the Sheraton facilities but Sheraton guests cannot use the Royal Hawaiian facilities

Not quite. The Helumoa Playground pool is a pool shared between the Royal Hawaiian &  Sheraton Waikiki. It was built on the grounds of the Royal Hawaiian, in between the two hotels.

RH guests can't use the Sheraton adult pool (infinity pool) and the Sheraton guests can't use the Malulani Pool, which used to be the RH's adult pool, but now is all ages.

On 6/30/2021 at 3:40 PM, scottca075 said:

So that is for  $200 for two people. It is a $15 Uber ride from the port to the Royal Hawaiian and $50 to rent two lounge chairs and an umbrella for the day; so that is $30 round trip + $50 vs $200.

Thanks for your advice! However I am one so it is $80 vs $99. Any tips on food at the Mai Tai Bar?

4 minutes ago, gmcwalker said:

Thanks for your advice! However I am one so it is $80 vs $99. Any tips on food at the Mai Tai Bar?

Well the burger is good, but it should be for $27 😁

On shear principle, I'd walk through the hotel to the Royal Hawaiian Center and get a better burger at Mahaloha Burger in the food court for $10, or stop at Pho Factory or Kazan Ramen for a nice noodle soup.

10 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Well the burger is good, but it should be for $27 😁

On shear principle, I'd walk through the hotel to the Royal Hawaiian Center and get a better burger at Mahaloha Burger in the food court for $10, or stop at Pho Factory or Kazan Ramen for a nice noodle soup.

I would definitely walk over to the Royal Hawaiian Centre to the food court as they have many choices for lunch. The food is great there and it’s always busy.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

We usually book a room for one night at the Outrigger Waikiki. It's not cheap, but it gives us access to the pool, a room to shower off in before we go out for dinner and head back to the beach. The kids usually enjoy the beach while I'm at the pool and we do lunch at Dukes. It's just as expensive as any shore excursion we could do from the ship. 

The Hilton Hawaiian Village is nice, but I've not been able to get a room for one night there when I've tried.