First Time living in a Luxury Cruise Ship

digwap

I'm gonna be a first time luxury cruiser in 2023 at a residential cruise ship called Storylines. It has been my lifelong dream to travel around the world in luxury and without leaving my own home. And Storylines will be a great help for me to achieve that dream. 

May I know if anyone here already have an experience living inside a luxury cruise ship?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I was able to visit ( providing I did not take  pictures ) Residensea  " the world" in my hometown. 

I found the atmosphere on board  very cold  ... 

A Belgian previously working on various cruise companies was for a while on that ship and he told me in the evening the bars are nearly empty and sometimes desolate ... 

• Thanks 1

On 10/9/2021 at 1:25 AM, vistaman said:

I was able to visit ( providing I did not take  pictures ) Residensea  " the world" in my hometown. 

A Belgian previously working on various cruise companies was for a while on that ship and he told me in the evening the bars are nearly empty and sometimes desolate ... 

Thread diversion here, apologies to digwap:

Hello again,  Vistaman, I found you! As it is past October 1, are  you now able  to book HL again, or are you so mad you will never give them money again even if you could?  They do not answer my emails, e.g., when I ask about when non-Germanics will be allowed on board again. Their websites advertise in English but say nothing about changes in the bans, and they did that since Covid though no English country residents could board, so it means nothing. I have to wonder if they bother with dual language announcements on the E2 and Inspiration.

mrs catlover - I am afraid that there isa reconciliation arranged between HLC and myself ...

as from 1st October it seems EU citizens are able to book -  yes HLC had to do it as from 1st July 2021 in view of the EU regulations and agreements on travelling  and eventually the company could not appeal on freedom of contract - i save all the details.  However banning non EU guests is not against the EU regulations . 

Also : when can fully vaccinated  EU people enter the US ? Caribbean cruises are cheap but i do not risk to book as a flexible business flight is quite expensive. ( smaller planes to US )

Yes I was very angry  but I still like HLC and there was a decent mutual understanding. I am very into gastronomy and I do like the approach of HLC . My only alternative is Crystal. 

Years ago I was very upset caused by the all inclusive introduced on Crystal and the changes involved . I even did cancel a cruise from Norway ending in my hometown because of those changes ;  there was also an incident  what was only settled when a new manager for Europe took over. Now I do travel more frequently on Crystal and the service is great.  I cannot remain angry for a longtime.

My Christmas cruise on the Crystal Esprit is cancelled as the ship is sold ... so I booked a Dubai Dubai on the Europa 2 just before Christmas. 

My last cruises on SB were  a bad one  , second acceptable , third average... i am finished with SB - in view of the fares some ingredients are not so great .

As a single I do not have a lot of alternatives : double fares on Regent , Ritz C and Scenic ...even Cunard in Grill degree , ws not happy on Ponant despite the good Champagn. ( in general not luxury i am aware ) 

When I going down one step to 4star plus  guests had to endure  usury on board , extra's for everything ranging from breakfast in your cabin to a glass of soda ,compulsory  gratuities "for your convenience"  ( however i do give gratuities on the all in companies ) daily publicity for shopping ... 

Maybe I must give SS another chance on one of the new ships. 

Untill covid I use to do a "cheap " cruise during spring one week  - when it was not very good ok it was cheap - i had that in mind.

Also for 2022 I do have several bookings on HLC 😄

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, vistaman said:

mrs catlover - I am afraid that there isa reconciliation arranged between HLC and myself ...

as from 1st October it seems EU citizens are able to book -  yes HLC had to do it as from 1st July 2021 in view of the EU regulations and agreements on travelling  and eventually the company could not appeal on freedom of contract - i save all the details.  However banning non EU guests is not against the EU regulations . 

Also : when can fully vaccinated  EU people enter the US ? Caribbean cruises are cheap but i do not risk to book as a flexible business flight is quite expensive. ( smaller planes to US )

Yes I was very angry  but I still like HLC and there was a decent mutual understanding. I am very into gastronomy and I do like the approach of HLC . My only alternative is Crystal. 

Years ago I was very upset caused by the all inclusive introduced on Crystal and the changes involved . I even did cancel a cruise from Norway ending in my hometown because of those changes ;  there was also an incident  what was only settled when a new manager for Europe took over. Now I do travel more frequently on Crystal and the service is great.  I cannot remain angry for a longtime.

My Christmas cruise on the Crystal Esprit is cancelled as the ship is sold ... so I booked a Dubai Dubai on the Europa 2 just before Christmas. 

My last cruises on SB were  a bad one  , second acceptable , third average... i am finished with SB - in view of the fares some ingredients are not so great .

As a single I do not have a lot of alternatives : double fares on Regent , Ritz C and Scenic ...even Cunard in Grill degree , ws not happy on Ponant despite the good Champagn. ( in general not luxury i am aware ) 

When I going down one step to 4star plus  guests had to endure  usury on board , extra's for everything ranging from breakfast in your cabin to a glass of soda ,compulsory  gratuities "for your convenience"  ( however i do give gratuities on the all in companies ) daily publicity for shopping ... 

Maybe I must give SS another chance on one of the new ships. 

Untill covid I use to do a "cheap " cruise during spring one week  - when it was not very good ok it was cheap - i had that in mind.

Also for 2022 I do have several bookings on HLC 😄

You can come to US by air in November and beyond.  It is about time!

https://www.travelinglifestyle.net/us-reopening-borders-to-tourism-who-can-enter/

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/9/2021 at 1:25 AM, vistaman said:

Having cruise several times on The World I can attest that the owners are not typical cruise aficionados but do enjoy peace and quiet, excellent service, wonderful food and an ever-changing sailing adventure.  There are usually only about 100 pax on board- that’s less than the size of the crew.  There is very little entertainment on board but excellent restaurants. It is literally a floating high-end condo at sea.  The ship is beautiful and caters to a very affluent crowd but I believe it is a different animal from the Storylines concept.  Correct me if I’m wrong but is Storylines a combo of apartments and cruise ship with bookings available to the general public?  I think the itinerary would have to be adjusted significantly to allow for the mass type cruise pax being on board for a limited length of time.

• Like 1

I saw information on Storyline Cruise living then above, The World Cruise Ship.  This all got me to find out some information on both.  I did not want to do was call or email the companies.  That would lead to a sales consultant contacting me.  I was not quite ready for that yet.

I am also not asking anyone on this board to do anything.  Instead I am sharing my feelings and concerns.  Any comments are welcomed. 

As I began my research I get a few very uncomfortable feelings.  Let see if my feelings are the same as those reading this.

1. The Horror of Time Share:  I know this is not time share.  I get that.  The issue with Time Share was the monthly/annual fees and assessments.  I looked and simply could not find estimates or actuals on these numbers.  
  2. Accurate Monthly Meal/Drink Plans: I am sure this fee has a sliding scale.  Love to know what they are.  We always see to get, "As low as" or "Starting at".  I am a detail guy, I would love to know the real numbers. 
  3. Hidden Costs: Above I outlined the norm.  Fees and Assessments.  What other fees are there including options.  This may include health care, pets and the list goes on.  
  4. Renting/Leasing Your Space: Not so much as a business.  May just when one goes to spend time on land.  A way to subsidize your yearly expenses.

I am not asking anyone here to answer these questions.  I am in some way embarrassed I am even asking them.  It is kind of like buying a Jet then worry about how much the fuel costs.  If you can't afford the fuel, you can't afford the jet. 

I do know the starting annual costs associated with The World is around $100K.  I’m sure all that would be spelled out in detail.  I’m not sure about the meal plan…I paid a la carte pricing when onboard.  There is a market for general gourmet fare so you can prepare your own meals.  You an also have a chef cook for you in your apt.  The kitchens in the apartments are a marvel.  I also not know anything about drydocking and any assessments for out of the ordinary maintenance.  The World is not for a budget traveller and the economics make zero sense as any kind of investment…like any boat it’s really just a hole in the water that you pour money into.  Also, you must have another home address and pay taxes somewhere.  It cannot be your place of residence.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1