Ponant COVID Vaccine Requirement

AussieBoyTX

Ponant has apparently eliminated the vaccine requirement completely.

https://us.ponant.com/sail-with-confidence

• Travel with peace of mind thanks to a rigorous health protocol reinforced by a a policy of recommending a pre-boarding vaccination*

Whether on land or onboard, your safety is one of our absolute and primary concerns. By recommending vaccination before embarkation, PONANT optimises its already robust protocol integrating all the technological, human and material measures to ensure the provision and maintenance of a hermetic "Anti COVID" sanitary bubble. This reinforced protection is based on three “shields” designed to guarantee drastic on-board access conditions, strict on-board sanitary protocols, daily control and monitoring (guests, equipment, ships).

The "a a" error is theirs.

Edited by Host Jazzbeau
requirement keeps changing

• 5 months later...

We haven't discussed this recently, but apparently the fully vaccinated or natural immunity requirement is back as of September 29, 2021-- so long as you're leaving, entering or transiting a country that's in the "red" or "orange" category according to (World Health Organization, I think). 

Orange & Red cover most of the world, so looks like most, if not all, sailings will require vaccination.

I also know on Le Champlain, Captain Simon noted that his crew was 100% vaccinated.

image.thumb.png.4830949039d551b3172fddc2cc46efe9.pngimage.thumb.png.4830949039d551b3172fddc2cc46efe9.png

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, schnapperin said:

It could be the ecdc COVID color scheme - but that works only for the EU - also the PCR test is back aswell or? 

@schnapperin they did require a PCR test from us on last week's cruise. Fortunately, we now have four hour PCR tests, so we just got them the day before we flew down.

5 hours ago, gogo65 said:

Good to hear. To be honest I wouldn’t want to be on a ship without these requirements.

AussieBoy, did Ponant test you on your recent cruise? Or was it just a negative test to board?

It was just a negative test, vaccination card & health declaration to board -- the physician and nurse were stationed at the future cruise desk and checked all three forms. Once they were satisfied they were adequate, the captain came over to welcome us on board.

Otherwise, no additional tests once on board.

We did pay for Ponant to do a test to get us back into the US. Let's just say that nasal swab was extremely thorough. 😱🤯 (that is the Q-tip coming out the back of my head).

• Haha 1

We received our tickets for next week's Seychelles / Zanzibar trip yesterday and there were surprising updates:

First:

• As of 12/15/2021, and for those over 65 years of age who have received their 2nd dose more than 6 months ago at the time of boarding, a 3rd mRNA dose (Pfizer or Moderna) will be required in order to board (for AstraZeneca, this may be a 3rd AstraZeneca dose).

We already have boosters, so no big deal for us. Not sure what we would have done if we didn't have boosters and had already left home.

Second, located on Page 57 of the Travel Book, this surprise:

• The yellow fever vaccination is mandatory, bring along the original certificate. A copy of your certificate must be sent to PONANT at least 45 days prior to your cruise.
    It is recommended that you contact your health professional for any specific medical advise relating to travel through these regions.

Ponant's country-specific health protocol document available on-line doesn't mention this: https://fr.calameo.com/read/000132423668d4bed7572 

This is news and it's a problem. We basically have one business day to either get the vaccination or get doctor's letters saying they recommend we not be vaccinated. Aside from the crisis timing, that's not a problem since the CDC says YF vaccination is not recommended for travel to Seychelles or Tanzania.

Our travel medicine clinic says they'd be happy to either vaccinate us, or write a "not recommended" letter for $300 each, but unfortunately, they don't have any available appointments until the day after we leave, leaving us to negotiate with our Primary Care Physicians to see if they are willing to write the "not recommended" letter.

What a mess, AussieBoy --springing things on you at such late notice.  Governments, and cruise lines fearing them and/or copying them, feel they have to show they are "doing something", whether or not there is evidence of benefit.

By the time my first Ponant cruise comes about in April perhaps they will be asking for the third shot to have been completed within 6 months, and if not, then a fourth shot will be due (I got my third quite early due to special conditions and DH is a few months behind me as he is younger and healthier, but he needs several days to recover from shot side effects, as he gets exhausted, feverish, headaches, and gets balance probems, so is mostly confined to bed).

What is worse is that the Travel Book does not match the country protocol on your yellow fever vaccine mandate.

• Like 1

Yes, @Catlover54 and @Lukec, it's a mess. 

We spent yesterday with many calls & emails to Ponant and our doctors. The ship's doctor wrote us personally to say that Ponant had spoken with the officials in Zanzibar and Zanzibar requires the vaccination for this cruise, so we must either be vaccinated or have an official exemption certificate.

Our family doctors were also working on this and though all were willing to write a letter, their consensus was that we need to find vaccine simply because it eliminates stress and potential complications at the border. So, my doctor, whom I've been seeing for twenty years, called around and found a source. It's not nearby and will require a couple hours drive & $1K, but it'll be done today.

Let's hope the other passengers are similarly prepared.

Also, BTW, the yellow fever vaccine is now good for life and if you have your yellow vaccination card with an expired yellow fever vaccination record, it's supposedly usable. Unfortunately, I've been vaccinated several times for YF, but didn't keep the cards once the vaccination expired -- I now have one more justification for being a hoarder. 😄

@Catlover54every cruise in 2021 for us has had some covid stress and surprise, but ultimately what Ponant required wound up being rational and similar to the CDC recommendation. For those of us who were preparing for cruising last summer, we had a lot of discussion here about Ponant's requirement for the second dose to be less than six months old -- which apparently would have been fine for most Europeans, but would have made early vaccine recipients in the US ineligible to cruise by about a month. By the time the season started, the policy had been amended to something that was not difficult for us to comply with.

11 hours ago, AussieBoyTX said:

Yes, @Catlover54 and @Lukec, it's a mess. 

We spent yesterday with many calls & emails to Ponant and our doctors. The ship's doctor wrote us personally to say that Ponant had spoken with the officials in Zanzibar and Zanzibar requires the vaccination for this cruise, so we must either be vaccinated or have an official exemption certificate.

Our family doctors were also working on this and though all were willing to write a letter, their consensus was that we need to find vaccine simply because it eliminates stress and potential complications at the border. So, my doctor, whom I've been seeing for twenty years, called around and found a source. It's not nearby and will require a couple hours drive & $1K, but it'll be done today.

Let's hope the other passengers are similarly prepared.

Also, BTW, the yellow fever vaccine is now good for life and if you have your yellow vaccination card with an expired yellow fever vaccination record, it's supposedly usable. Unfortunately, I've been vaccinated several times for YF, but didn't keep the cards once the vaccination expired -- I now have one more justification for being a hoarder. 😄

Good to hear you got it sorted, but not really good enough on Ponant’s behalf for not providing timely information.

Yellow fever is an expensive vaccine but $1000 😮is that the US medical system or other costs involved getting there and back? 

3 minutes ago, gogo65 said:

Yellow fever is an expensive vaccine but $1000 😮is that the US medical system or other costs involved getting there and back? 

It’s the you have a crisis and no other choices rate for the three of us. With a couple weeks lead time, the public health department could do it for around $100 each and they’re right down the road. 

The COVID  vaccine mandate for +65 to be fully vaccinated is French law so it make sense that this is also a requirement

which can also be expected in other European countries in 22 - fully vaccinated = 3 COVID vaccine shots or with 2 it’s only valid for 6 months 

• Like 1

• Host Jazzbeau changed the title to Ponant COVID Vaccine Requirement
6 hours ago, AussieBoyTX said:

It’s the you have a crisis and no other choices rate for the three of us. With a couple weeks lead time, the public health department could do it for around $100 each and they’re right down the road. 

Interesting, at least you’ve got it now, and remember to keep the certificate!!

• Like 1