Cabin selection on Star Clippers

tring

We are thinking of booking a short cruise on Star Clippers (Probably Royal Clipper), but would like some help regards cabin choice.  We would tend to go for the cheaper grades, (probably not an inside though not completely sure), but would be particularly bothered by noise in the cabin.  Would bottom deck cabins be above an engine or other noisy equipment for instance?  We would consider upgrading to whatever cabin grade is needed to ensure a comfortable nights sleep and for a short cruise might even go for one of the more expensive cabin grades anyway as the extra price would not be massive.

Any advice regards this would be greatly appreciated.

Over the past decade I have sailed numerous times with Star Clippers, on all three ships and in cabin categories 2, 3 , 4 and 5.

The cabins on the lower deck (Commodore) tend to be in a lower price category than those on the higher deck (Clipper), and those towards the bow and stern in a lower category than those midships. This is largely because they are slightly smaller (shorter) due to the curved nature of the ships hull; otherwise they are pretty much the same.

Category 5 cabins tend to have an unusual configuration, noted on the deck plan, or be at the extremities of the ship. I would personally avoid these, indeed the only time I found mechanical noise intrusive was in the rearmost cat 5  cabin on Star Flyer, every other cabin I have occupied has been fine.

If you like an early night you may wish to avoid being directly under the tropical bar, the main gathering point in the evening after dinner, although organised activities such as dancing tend to be over before midnight and few people stay up later.

Go for it!

• Like 1

Thanks a lot for that useful information.  The cruise we were looking at for next year is apparently fully booked, but will find something in the near future.  We were booked on Golden Horizon for 21st July, but itineraries changed a lot and all seem to now leave from Dover, which is not somewhere we want to battle our way down to in the school holidays, especially this year as I expect the roads to be very busy.

Tradewinds loss may well become a Star Clippers gain and the Adriatic sounds a much better venue, especially if we are able to go off the ship on our own 🙂

In some cabins, one side of the bed is against the wall. I don't know how to tell which cabins that applies to. My Star Clipper cruise was a solo trip so it didn't matter but if my husband and I were to take one, we would like to avoid that configuration. Which cabins have both sides of the bed accessible? 

8 hours ago, new_cruiser said:

In some cabins, one side of the bed is against the wall. I don't know how to tell which cabins that applies to. My Star Clipper cruise was a solo trip so it didn't matter but if my husband and I were to take one, we would like to avoid that configuration. Which cabins have both sides of the bed accessible? 

I may be wrong, but some of the cabin pictures seem to show fairly small beds, so having them set up as twins would be our choice.  We find that is lot easier in bad seas as well.  I think it does say if the bed configuration is a fixed double which cannot be separated.

• 2 weeks later...