Falklands - no go

HS2BS

The local government in the Falklands has decided that no large cruise ships will be allowed as of last Friday, 6/18/21

https://polarjournal.ch/en/2021/06/08/no-large-cruise-ships-for-the-falkland-islands/

Do you think cruise lines will have second thoughts about round the horn cruises if the Falklands is eliminated? We are booked on the Diamond Princess for 3/5/22, and this was one of the primary reasons to book this cruise.

Hal

Edited by HS2BS
Spelling

1 hour ago, HS2BS said:

The local government in the Falklands has decided that no large cruise ships will be allowed as of last Friday, 6/18/21

https://polarjournal.ch/en/2021/06/08/no-large-cruise-ships-for-the-falkland-islands/

Do you think cruise lines will have second thoughts about round the horn cruises if the Falklands is eliminated? We are booked on the Diamond Princess for 3/5/22, and this was one of the primary reasons to book this cruise.

Hal

Given that it's not uncommon for cruise ships scheduled to call on the Falkland Islands to miss the port call because of sea and weather conditions I doubt this will have any impact on cruise lines' decisions to do around-the-horn cruises.

• Like 3

The Falklands tourism account (@ilovethefalklands) was doing a Q&A on Instagram yesterday, and I asked if there was any chance of ships with >1000 pax being allowed to call this season. They gave a noncommittal answer. Better than an outright "no" at least.

The way I look at it, the current guidelines are their gov's first step toward loosening restrictions. They may decide to further loosen them as the tourism season draws closer. I'm not giving up hope yet for my Dec sailing on the Diamond. 🤞

• 1 month later...

I've been stalking the FIG website for news. Noticed that there was a line about arrivals via sea in one of their latest updates, at the very bottom:

"Quarantine measures for people arriving in the Falkland Islands by sea remain the same, although these are currently under review."

Probably irrelevant to whether they ultimately allow large ships this season, but I thought it interesting that they chose to include it at all. 🤷‍♀️🤞

(Source is here: https://www.fig.gov.fk/covid-19/public-updates/275-15-july-2021-exco-approves-further-change-to-quarantine-measures-on-arrival-in-the-falkland-islands.)

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Don't blame them. We stopped there on a SA cruise a few years ago.  It was like an Amay convention. Far too many tourists at one time for them.  I felt sorry for the locals.

Large cruise ships, multiple, are ruining many port stops.   We avoid these ports if cruise ships are in port  when we are doing independent land travel.   Santorini, Mykonos, Dubrovnik, Key West are just a few examples of how cruise traffic has depleted the enjoyment of certain areas.