Combining a PG 7 day cruise with extra time in the Tuamotos for diving/snorkeling

boating_buddy

I was originally looking at the 10 day PG cruise in October 2022 which included the Tuamotos, but then thought we might get more time in the Tuamotos if we did a 7 day cruise, then extended our trip to include 4-5 days in the Tuamotos on our own.  My husband wants to dive after a long time away from it, and I snorkel, so this might be a great way to get back into it.  Has anyone done a combination PG cruise plus land stay in the Tuamotos? It seems like the 7 day cruises might have more deals/offers than the longer cruises. Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated.

BB

Diving in the better locations on both Rangiroa and Fakarava usually require a more advanced diver and one that has current advance experience. Not saying your not qualified but check into the requirements. Both islands offer superb diving but are through the passes into the lagoon and have 5-7 knot current and the passes are deep. Most divers who dive in the passes zip thru at around 80' ... visibility is fantastic. 

Currently the 'deals' for the 7 night cruises are this fall and winter. If your diving while on the PG know they will want to see your dive logs 😉

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

We did this years ago, but the hotel is now gone (hotels don't last long in FP.)  Didn't dive, just snorkeled and it was a peak experience, I must say.  So you'll want to check out the current hotel offerings on Rangiroa and Fakarava.

It will involve flying from Papeete, and sometimes schedules mean you have to spend a night in Papeete, or hanging around the airport.  

I can't comment on the packages offered by the PG, although it was a package when we did it (20 years ago!)

We are on Tikehau now.  On a prior PG cruise we did 6 nights post cruise at the Kia Ora. While I did dive I am not a die heart diver. If you just want to get back into it you may want to consider spending some time on Moorea post cruise and dive there.  The ferry is an easy and economical way to get there and the diving is good.  

Thanks for all the input.  A couple of questions. 

Cool Cruiser, is the ferry between Papeete and Moorea? Or is it between two other points?

I'll see what my hubby wants to do, dive-wise.  We've been all over the Caribbean and on a live aboard on the Great Barrier Reef, but that was several years ago.  If we both decide to snorkel, are the Tuamotos a good place for snorkeling?  What would be the best place for snorkeling if you all had a few extra days to spend anywhere in Tahiti/FP?  We're trying to get away from those areas that may be "over-snorkeled" and go to someplace that is more pristine.

Thanks again for all of your helpful suggestions.  We've traveled extensively in Europe, but this is my first time in the South Pacific, so I have a lot of learning to do.

There are ferry schedules between

Tahiti - Moorea

Tahiti - Huahine - Raiatea and finally Bora Bora

Best snorkeling on Rangiroa will be 'The Aquarium'

On Moorea between the 2 motus

On Tahaa/Raiatea at the drift snorkel location next to Le Tahaa Resort

On Bora Bora there are several places but you will have company

1 hour ago, boating_buddy said:

Thanks for all the input.  A couple of questions. 

Cool Cruiser, is the ferry between Papeete and Moorea? Or is it between two other points?

I'll see what my hubby wants to do, dive-wise.  We've been all over the Caribbean and on a live aboard on the Great Barrier Reef, but that was several years ago.  If we both decide to snorkel, are the Tuamotos a good place for snorkeling?  What would be the best place for snorkeling if you all had a few extra days to spend anywhere in Tahiti/FP?  We're trying to get away from those areas that may be "over-snorkeled" and go to someplace that is more pristine.

Thanks again for all of your helpful suggestions.  We've traveled extensively in Europe, but this is my first time in the South Pacific, so I have a lot of learning to do.

Personally, I love the island of Huahine, one of the sort-of lesser known French Polynesian islands. I've only snorkeled a little bit there (only visited twice, both times on cruises), so you'd have to look into whether it would really be worth a special trip there for snorkeling. In the Tuamotus, the most spectacular snorkeling site for us was the Rangiroa "Aquarium." There were more different kinds of creatures per square foot than anyplace I've ever snorkeled. In Fakarava, we took Ato Lissant's tour to the Blue Lagoon and some of the snorkeling sites where he stopped along the way were truly spectacular.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2021 at 3:47 PM, boating_buddy said:

I was originally looking at the 10 day PG cruise in October 2022 which included the Tuamotos, but then thought we might get more time in the Tuamotos if we did a 7 day cruise, then extended our trip to include 4-5 days in the Tuamotos on our own.  My husband wants to dive after a long time away from it, and I snorkel, so this might be a great way to get back into it.  Has anyone done a combination PG cruise plus land stay in the Tuamotos? It seems like the 7 day cruises might have more deals/offers than the longer cruises. Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated.

BB

Just remember to plan for a sufficient time between your last dive and any flights:

https://dan.org/research-reports/research-studies/flying-after-diving/

I mention this because it may affect how long you want to stay on any 1 island.