Masks Required To Be Worn While Sightseeing In Cozumel

Joe817

I guess he is talking about adventure in cozumel and pax leaving the ship had masks on and it was asked and said cozumel has a mask mandate when in public. I've posted this a few times myself on roll calls. I might not do a excursion, though I dont think it would apply to most of the one I picked which is a boat to a beach .. doesnt apply at beaches. Just in public I read.

If you dont want to mask up stay on the ship.

3 hours ago, Joe817 said:

"Go where you want, but wear a mask: The new rules for cruisers in Cozumel"

From The Points Guy:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/cozumel-cruise-ship-tour-covid-rules/ 

I'm disappointed if this the case. I hope the rules are relaxed by the time we sail.

So sorry you're disappointed. Cases in Quintana Roo are the highest they've ever been right now, so the mask mandate makes sense, especially since vaccinations are sluggish in Mexico too. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well, I'm taking that article with a small grain of salt. We booked an excursion(outside of Carnival's offerings) to Nachi Cocum in Cozumel. Nowhere was there mentioned in their Covid protocols about a mask mandate for the guests, although there were for the staff. They  have reduced the standard capacity from 130 down to 100. Talk about an intimate get away!  

I'm hoping that by the time we get there, things will have changed for the better. But we are masking up while in port just in case. We'll see what the protocols are when we get to the resort. Can't hardly wait. 

21 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Well, I'm taking that article with a small grain of salt. We booked an excursion(outside of Carnival's offerings) to Nachi Cocum in Cozumel. Nowhere was there mentioned in their Covid protocols about a mask mandate for the guests, although there were for the staff. They  have reduced the standard capacity from 130 down to 100. Talk about an intimate get away!  

I'm hoping that by the time we get there, things will have changed for the better. But we are masking up while in port just in case. We'll see what the protocols are when we get to the resort. Can't hardly wait. 

I am not sure why you are taking the review lightly. It was pretty “on point” for the current situation. As stated above cases in Quintana Roo are very high and increasing right now. The area is under Orange restrictions with an  ever threatening change back to red. Restrictions are reviewed and changed weekly if necessary.

https://reactivemosq.roo.gob.mx/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Semáforo-región-Norte-del-21-al-27-de-junio-2021.pdf

There is a mask mandate currently in operation in Cozumel - not sure when you are planning to travel?

We were at Nachi last week during a land visit. Good value with the current promotion which I am assuming you got? Masks are not required on the beach and in the pool but are required in all public areas in Cozumel - walking around resort, public transportation, walking around town or the port area. There were probably 30+ people.

Do tourists flaunt the rules? Sadly yes, many tourists don’t seem to be aware, don’t have the manners to follow the rules of the country they visit or just feel the rules don’t apply to them personally. The locals and most tourists complied from what we saw and there were mostly gentle reminders to those that didn’t.

When the region was in red previously I did read of arrests.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

c-leg5, thank you for your post. I said a "small grain of salt", meaning I'm not doubting the veracity or the truthfulness of what the points guy said. I just want to verify it for myself. Of course we are going to be masked up while in public, sightseeing, etc. walking around Cozumel. That's just common sense, especially in an orange zone. Even though we are completely vaccinated, I still take into consideration those around us who may not be vaccinated. I wear a mask to protect them...not me. 👍

23 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

c-leg5, thank you for your post. I said a "small grain of salt", meaning I'm not doubting the veracity or the truthfulness of what the points guy said. I just want to verify it for myself. Of course we are going to be masked up while in public, sightseeing, etc. walking around Cozumel. That's just common sense, especially in an orange zone. Even though we are completely vaccinated, I still take into consideration those around us who may not be vaccinated. I wear a mask to protect them...not me. 👍

You will be fine then. Some we have seen don’t have that attitude unfortunately.

Have a good trip. We have had a good few weeks but VERY hot.

Edited by c-leg5

• 3 weeks later...

Yes masks are required, arrests are now being made for those not complying (after warnings) from Cancun to Playa, not sure if that is happening on Coz c-leg5?

When we visited in April there were people stationed near the ferry terminal and walking through the square holding placards aimed at US visitors requesting/requiring face masks…

CB86C22A-BB1D-43A0-8DA1-3B89851EE4EA.thumb.jpeg.19b6c8a7b2e615359c783296612412d5.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blue_water said:

Yes masks are required, arrests are now being made for those not complying (after warnings) from Cancun to Playa, not sure if that is happening on Coz c-leg5?

We have been back from Cozumel a couple of weeks so not sure of current situation.

while we were there most people were compliant. A few locals back in San Miguel didn’t wear them outside but most did and everyone indoors. There were limits on the number of people entering some of the convenience stores. 

There were “some” tourists around the square and downtown that felt they were exempt from the regulations but we personally didn’t see anyone actively enforcing the mask mandate.

I heard of warnings and arrests prior to our visit and an increase in security and document checking. We were sure to carry copies of our passports and landing card, which I read were sufficient. We also carried copies of our vaccine card but not sure that was required by anyone.

I have read reports since we left of increased warnings to people not wearing masks including verbal and siren warnings. This is taken further if non-compliant. I fear increasing numbers of cruisers may increase the number of non-compliant visitors and they probably want to make a statement early on. They need the business, they do not need increasing cases given their limited medical facilities. 

We left shortly after the first cruise ships started. The first day for Adventure was quite wet and with limited capacity we didn’t notice too many extra people where we were in town.

We will monitor the situation before our next visit. 

Edited by c-leg5

Thanks for your feedback…In Playa and outlying areas we see most locals doing a great job in masking, many whose families depend on them staying healthy and working of course. We’ve stayed at a couple RIU Palaces in January and March (had vouchers from Coco’s animal shelter benefit) and too many guests felt they were exempt as well…Zero respect for the staff who take such good care of them…

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

When we were there in January the rule was according to the resort we were at that outside of the resort unless you were exercising you had to wear a mask. At the resort it was up to you. So when we would go into town, we had them but if we were walking we pulled it down.  If we took a cab or went into a store or restaurant we wore it unless eating or drinking.  

4 hours ago, nascarcruiser said:

When we were there in January the rule was according to the resort we were at that outside of the resort unless you were exercising you had to wear a mask. At the resort it was up to you. So when we would go into town, we had them but if we were walking we pulled it down.  If we took a cab or went into a store or restaurant we wore it unless eating or drinking.  

I am not sure what color they were in January?

I know  in May they were only yellow  and byJune that had  changed to orange with a threat of red. They appear to still be at orange for nextweek (announced every Thursday) but still worried about red.

Edited by c-leg5
Link doesn’t seem to show

Yes we were at Yellow in January so still needed to mask up in banks, gov't bldgs, stores, when not seated indoors, etc. The resort should have also been requiring masking while not seated indoors (FWIW). We stayed at a RIU Palace in Playa in January and they were working hard to comply...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, HxFx said:

Has anyone been on a catamaran snorkel excursion under the new rules? Are you required to wear a mask on the boat while underway? Thanks!

No because you are outdoors. But the operator can enforce safety regs depending on certain circumstances (huddled under cover during a storm, for ex). But you need to contact the operator to get a useful answer...We've been this year and no masks were required, but again contact the daysail operator...

Edited by blue_water

29 minutes ago, blue_water said:

No because you are outdoors. But the operator can enforce safety regs depending on certain circumstances (huddled under cover during a storm, for ex). But you need to contact the operator to get a useful answer...We've been this year and no masks were required, but again contact the daysail operator...

Thanks!