The Daily for Tuesday Jun 22, 2021

richwmn

Today is World Rainforest Day, National HVAC Tech Day, and National Onion Ring Day

My life is my message. - Mahatma Gandhi

Meal suggestion for today - Warm Picnic Burritos ("Burritos De Machaca")

Drink of the Day - Cosmopolitan

Wine of the day - Château Canon-La Gaffelière St.-Emilion 2014

Destination of the Day - Tadine Mare New Caledonia

At Sea Pacific
Koningsdam Destination La Paz MX eta 6/24
Nieuw Amsterdam Drifting off Mexico
Westerdam Destination Los Angeles eta 6/27
Zuiderdam Destination Los Angeles eta 6/26

Corfu GR
Volendam
Zaandam

La Paz MX
Noordam Anchorage

Limassol CY
Eurodam

Off Eleuthera Island
Nieuw Statendam

Scheveningen NL
Oosterdam North Sea Operations

Venice IT
Rotterdam

0622World.thumb.png.7af38b0a957380282137be805e913ac9.png

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4

Good morning, everyone.

I am so cold.  I've been shaking for the last hour despite having a sweatshirt and wool sweater on.  I turned the furnace on and I'm wrapped in a blanket.  My back is on fire.

Today's meal sounds good, but I will pass and have something really easy to make.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/marcela-valladolid/warm-picnic-burritos-burritos-de-machaca-recipe-1952475

59182932_WarmPicnicBurritos.jpeg.9b774fe6768a457171631dea1e806a46.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 6

Good morning.  Thanks for the Tuesday Daily Report.

Interesting collection of days.  Save the Rainforest!  Thanks to HVAC techs keeping us warm or cool.  I'd love some onion rings.

The dinner suggestion sounds good, looking forward to seeing the recipe.

I love sipping a cosmo in the Crow's Nest.  Hope the wine is good too.

Sending prayers for everyone.

Stay safe.

• Like 20

Thank you for the Tuesday Daily, Rich.  HVAC Techs will be in great demand these days, and the Rainforests play a vital role in out environment.  I'll pass on the onion rings.  Love the Ghandi quote.  I don't think I've ever been to New Caledonia.  I'll pass also on the Burrito.  My alternative suggestion is Pinnacle Burger with Sorbet, a lunch that almost eliminates the need for dinner.

A little quirk of Common Law I discovered while working is that one is deemed to "attain" an age the day before their birthday.  Today I attain age 78.  Tomorrow will be a strange birthday as the "highlight" will be another echocardiogram with my cardiologist.  I am not looking forward to that.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews

Garlictown difficutl recovery from arm surgery

Western wildfires

Those with newly cancelled cruises

atexsix back pains

From the rotation:
bennybear’s SIL diagnosed with aggressive cancer awaiting surgery
mamaofami DH Sam in rehab until about 7/4
Tana starting to deal with Pulmonary Fibrosis

Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jabs for HAL crew at Los Angeles, San Diego and Fort Lauderdale

lindaler’s sister visiting

St. Pete Cruiser on a road trip

HorizonChaser1957's daughters headed home

StLouisCruiser with family in Ohio

Second jabs for Kazu and Jose

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 33
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our Tuesday smile 🙂 

Interesting collection of days.  I’m sure those with A/C appreciate the HVAX techs.  Love onion rings and the Rainforests deserve our care and preservation.

Love the Gandhi quote and the meal suggestion sounds like a winner 👍 (but so does Roy’s Pinnacle burger 😉 ) All the suggestions for today are winners, actually.  I’d love a Cosmopolitan on BHB & having been to wineries in St Emilion, I nearly guarantee that wine is good 😉 

DH and were in New Caledonia - fabulous!  Sadly my pics are the old fashioned kind.

Some of my peonies are just opening up.  Knowing that Claudette will probably beat the petals off, I decided to save them for myself 😉 

8F3123CB-275D-47B1-AE6E-733E7AB5075A.thumb.jpeg.64c205f1b4dac4b677325da37db66950.jpeg

While we suffer with rain, lots of areas are too dry and need it.  I went looking for the different ways to find water but sadly, I doubt anyone of them will help:

776E6510-C8D6-4CC4-B2EA-5C6AB4786ECB.thumb.jpeg.095a4d265f55f11e1ae57d9d2c75691b.jpeg

And another from the garden since again, Claudette will barrage the petals.

555FCD38-A887-4ACD-8A9A-125405A0C5E9.thumb.jpeg.e7b2840ecc7a0d819a9169403a9ba88e.jpeg

OK, who got the vaccine yesterday?  Me or Miko?  Seems Miko decided that Marley’s hip made a great pillow.  And, of course, Marley let him stay there.

2DBE4150-49F0-4CF7-8B10-A498ACED574D.thumb.jpeg.b6cc629a632629d806abddf019a75119.jpeg

Prayers for everyone on the Care list & for those that need them & 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Tuesday everyone!

61883033-674E-4891-B79D-E6AB77DBFA1C.thumb.jpeg.8a756b21c2735a5818b7e77a715d2087.jpeg

Stay safe and don’t forget your 😷 

• Like 37
  • Thanks 3

20 minutes ago, dfish said:

I am so cold.  I've been shaking for the last hour despite having a sweatshirt and wool sweater on.  I turned the furnace on and I'm wrapped in a blanket.  My back is on fire.

Oh NO 😔 So sorry to hear this. 😢  Sounds like you should see a doctor asap.  Especially with your back on fire.  Take care of yourself and I hope you are feeling better real soon 🙏🏻 

• Like 22

Good Morning.  Protecting our rainforests is on a par with protecting our oceans, The Gandhi quote is so perfect for him - profoundly simple. He truely lived his message.

Pnion rings, when done right, are great. 

Just discovered that my young fig tree has a serious problem with scale insects. Looks like I will be dealing with that today.

jim

Edited by jimgev
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Happy Tuesday everyone and thanks for the daily report Rich.  We should all be concerned about the rain forests that provide us with the oxygen that we breathe.   HVAC technicians are very critical this time of year.  I can’t remember the last time that I had an onion ring.  Words to live by from Gandhi.  I love a well made Cosmo.  The meal sounds nice but it’s grilled brats this evening.  I’ve never been to today’s port so I look forward to seeing the photos.  Prayers to all of those on our list. Cheers to everyone celebrating a happy event.

• Like 19

All the talk of the Bordeaux bridge made me go back and look at some of the pics from when we were on the Prinsendam and went under.  One of the beauties of that ship was she fit under and could dock right downtown 👍 

From 2019:

5C3D9421-0A9F-4611-8CE6-DA4F4DE59364.thumb.jpeg.d5f818b9d4c6385b8bc23b427b44f9ab.jpeg

95B781D9-00BC-439E-9CF3-1FF3BEB8C939.thumb.jpeg.663c84819fab79244c85d8b51c9095b2.jpeg

019795A0-9D26-47F4-AB70-32EA126E7A6F.thumb.jpeg.6beb5898a0ff01a9ef0990ec59e209db.jpeg

The bridge in the distance as we were leaving:

C7098F5C-6DC0-4457-B2DB-006357711CAF.thumb.jpeg.ab62ddcbbb0cb4ae4277e7898f966b70.jpeg

and our second bridge:

5DFE709D-4CE6-4120-B49A-FEAEDF6F0EFF.thumb.jpeg.a213d59ddb49a1ed4f15e9cb7492e0e5.jpeg

50DDEABB-D482-473A-B138-57811194956E.thumb.jpeg.c5356b91b9a36b6f06137791a314cf59.jpeg

535E7A95-AD5C-4246-A02D-3F5E7112B016.thumb.jpeg.7b3c9010d5a1bade9e8d19680420027c.jpeg

Not a ton of space to clear for sure.

The ship brought down it’s satellite/antenna (sorry I can’t remember the word for the tall things) to go under the bridge.

• Like 33

Good morning.  Great group of days.  Love our HVAC company.  Rainforests are disappearing.  Onion rings are good.  Will pass on the meal.  Happy Birthday Roy.  Prayers and virtual hugs for our care list.  Toasts to our celebrations!

Please continue to stay safe and wear your mask.

Cosmopolitian:

A cosmopolitan, or informally a cosmo, is a cocktail made with vodka, triple sec, cranberry juice, and freshly squeezed or sweetened lime juice. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 1/2 oz Vodka Citron, 1 oz Cranberry juice, 1/2 oz Cointreau, 1/2 oz Fresh lime juice
Preparation: Add all ingredients into cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake well and double strain into large cocktail glass. Garnish with lime wheel.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Standard garnish: Lemon slice, Lime wedge
Drinkware: Cocktail glass

Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 7.37.18 AM.png

• Like 22
  • Thanks 3

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! I will celebrate our Rainforests and HVAC techs. 

Thank you for keeping our lists, Roy. Morning Dailyite family! Another cloudy morning, but the air feels so fresh after the storms of the past few days. Do you feel sick, Debbie @dfish? Symptoms sound flu-like. Be well. Busy day for me, will check in later. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Château Canon-La Gaffelière St.-Emilion 2014

The Bordeaux red blend has spectacular ratings for all vintages, and has a price to match. The lowest price I found online was $99.97, but if you live outside the States, you might not have to deal with the 25% tariff. 

Winemaker Notes

#7 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017

Blend: 55% Merlot, 37% Cabernet Franc and 8% Cabernet Sauvignon

WS95 Wine Spectator: This cuts a wide swath, with mouthwatering tobacco and warm ganache notes leading the way, followed by a wave of fig, blackberry and black currant preserves. Shows remarkable definition already, even though the structure is strident. Tempting now, but just put this in the back of the cellar. Best from 2020 through 2035.

WE95 Wine Enthusiast: Superripe fruits dominate this wine. It is generous and full in the mouth, the tannins and structure buried within the fruity richness. The finish shows ample freshness. Barrel Sample: 93-95

JS93 James Suckling: This is a big, rich wine with masses of ripe black-fruit aromas and a lot of supple, dry tannins that support the full body very nicely. Drink in 2020 but delicious now.

WW93 Wilfred Wong of Wine.com: The 2014 Château Canon-La-Gaffelière gets high marks for being an excellent wine and being made from certified organically grown grapes. Exhibiting loads of red and black fruits, but not overpowering the palate, this wine delivers one of it best efforts to date. (Tasted: January 27, 2017, San Francisco, CA)

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, kazu said:

Oh NO 😔 So sorry to hear this. 😢  Sounds like you should see a doctor asap.  Especially with your back on fire.  Take care of yourself and I hope you are feeling better real soon 🙏🏻 

I plan to call my doctor as soon as the office opens up.  The good news is that I can smell and taste.  Back feels a little better and I'm not shaking anymore.  In fact, I'm hot.   It is always  something.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 4

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and overcast day at the beach. More rain coming later.

My Hvac tech is scheduled today for the bi-annual cleaning of our units. Hope he does not find anything. Love onion rings but they dont love me, so will pass.

Never been to todays port but will enjoy looking at the pictures.

@dfish Debbie- that sounds like a call to the Doctor. Hope you are feeling better soon!

@rafinmdRoy Happy pre Birthday! Hope you  have a wonderful  day and a great year to come

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Rich, Roy, sisters and fellow Daily-ites. Thank you to all contributors. 

Happy Birthday eve Roy!

Debbie I hope you aren't coming down with shingles? Hope you feel better, if not call the doctor.

Jacqui in regards to your post about the complainers: "Some people would b**ch if you hung them with a new rope". You're doing a very great job..

I need to go clean up our yard after last nights hellacious storm soon as the sun is up. We had a whopper. 

We have 8 plants to get in the ground this morning. The nursery is finally starting to get plants in that I have wanted. Our crepe myrtle trees took a big hit from our winter storm and we do not have one bud on them.

Going to a luncheon with our Social Committee and planning the next few months activities. 

image.png.a6314ca28aa947cb6fdd0a02a8af0223.png

image.png.d4015fb8c35b11031964a37d89b43080.png

image.png.3b67b261a58ee37a3f331f3da506dd26.png

Prayers, cheers, blessings. 

• Like 26
  • Haha 2

Good  morning to  all. I  am  appreciating  HVAC  technicians as  I  sit  here  in  the   comfort  of  AC  while  outside  the  heat  and  mugginess  persist. I  love  the  quote  and  that  the  Rain forests  have  their  day  but  have  not  had  an  onion  ring  in  years.

The  recipe  looks  great  but  I  am  worried  about @dfish. I  hope  you  can  get  yourself  evaluated  as  that  does  not  sound  good. Please  let  us  know  if  you  can.

@kazu, I  love  the  pictures  of  your  dogs reclining  together! The  Bordeaux pictures  have  inspired  me  to  find  the  picture  from  our  last  trip  there and  leaving  in  the  early  morning  under  the  bridge.Thanks. I  hope  you  and  DH  are  feeling  well  after  your  second  shots.

We  are  making  plans  to  go  to the  Cape(Cod) with  our  DS  and  family  for  a  few  days and  I  am  beyond  excited. The  house  they  are  renting  is  near both  the  Bay  and  the  ocean so  it  will  be  fun  to  explore  that  with  the  grandchildren. We  had  always  gone  to  the  Cape  when  our  children  were  young  and  I  am  excited  that  DS  is  taking  the  family  there  now. I  will  also  be  able  to  stay  overnight  with  DSIL  who  lives  40  minutes  away  from  the  bridge  to  the  Cape      We  have  not  seen  her  since  November  2019.            

Terry

• Like 22

2 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Debbie I hope you aren't coming down with shingles? Hope you feel better, if not call the doctor.

That was the first thought that crossed my mind, too.  

2 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Jacqui in regards to your post about the complainers: "Some people would b**ch if you hung them with a new rope". You're doing a very great job..

Aww thanks.  ♥️ 

• Like 13

6 minutes ago, dfish said:

I plan to call my doctor as soon as the office opens up.  The good news is that I can smell and taste.  Back feels a little better and I'm not shaking anymore.  In fact, I'm hot.   It is always  something.

Thank you.  Take care of yourself.

• Like 12

Today I go not only to an alternate day in June but also for a sunset rather than a sunrise.  On June 8, 2015 I watched the sun go down from MS Prinsendam in Milford Haven, Wales:

dusk0608.jpg

Roy

• Like 30

Televisit with the Dr.  this afternoon.  I'm feeling better, but still want to check this out.  I chose televisit because I don't feel like getting dressed and driving over there and I don't want to infect anyone with whatever I have since I do have a fever.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 5

Good Tuesday morning!  It's sunny here in SW Ohio today, after a cloudy and sometimes rainy day yesterday.  Even with the rains we managed to get a barbecue in for dinner last night.  One granddaughter came over to share the meal with us and visit a while.  The other granddaughter is in Florida on vacation so we will miss her this week.  🙁

With all the cancellations yesterday I'm wondering if the Volendam will be taking us on the Grand South America and Antarctica cruise in January.  She has no cruises scheduled now until that Jan. 4 cruise.  

If DH doesn't agree to fly long distances again in the future we may only be able to do cruises from US ports, and that doesn't get you very far usually.  The Grand Voyages are ideal in that regard.  This opinion of his has just reared its head since the pandemic and our long stay at home.  I'm hoping I can change his mind.  

@dfishI pray you find out your ailment is something minor and not shingles.  Please keep us updated!

@rafinmddon't forget to add yourself to the celebration list tomorrow!  We don't want to forget to celebrate your 78th.🎉

Prayers for all of us and our loved ones in need, and cheers for those with happy news to share.  

I have not been to the destination of the day and will add it to my list.  I hope I am not a solo cruiser in the future when I finally see all these places.🤞

• Like 24