New Cancellations Just Listed for NCL Today

3 minutes ago, MichiganBound said:

We'll have to agree to disagree on 100% vaccinated cruises not being a niche market.  Regarding it being temporary...well that's just common sense.  No-one is arguing that the policy to have 100% vaccinated cruises is going to be permanent.  Not sure why you even raised that point.  Whether it lasts two months, six months, two years, or six years is mostly dependent the evolution of the virus, its variants, and how they interact with the vaccinated/unvaccinated public.  There is an element of political influence on this as well which some cruise lines may cave to.  They will have to live with the consequences of that if some of them do change away from 100% vaccinated cruises.

By definition, 100% vaccinated cruises are a niche market since they target a larger market. Time is relevant to any marketing strategy. Business 101.

22 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

By definition, 100% vaccinated cruises are a niche market since they target a larger market. Time is relevant to any marketing strategy. Business 101.

It has nothing to do with catering to a niche market. It has to do with a safe restart to gain the confidence of the broad market. It is all about public perception of the safety of cruising. If they can "sell out" cruises with the lowest risk passengers, then the chance of a COVID outbreak is minimized. And with a fully vaccinated cruise, you can make your cruise look as "normal" as possible (vs. Royal's first North American cruise where they limited the Theater and Studio B Ice theater to around 20%-25% capacity). That is the marketing strategy. 

Royal's approach 

image.png.30e3357c6354b285713018bc75b1fa81.png

Edited by BirdTravels
  • Like 4

So, I have been able to "infiltrate" (probably not the right word, they just accidentally approved me to join) a Facebook Group of a staffing company for NCL. From the posts, it appears that they are trying to get workers, but everyday it seems more frantic. The two ships I do see them talking about most and trying to get crew for is the Bliss and Getaway. The first Bliss sailing bookable on the NCL website is October 24th (From LA) and the first Getaway is September 13th (From Rome). Here is an example of a post from the group:

"if you are travel ready, with valid medical (taken oct 2020 onwards) no expiring/expired documents, and if your position is listed below, WE NEED YOU, asap!! please comment below

Target date of Joining June 18."

The have been posting lists of names, with positions, and asking people in the group that know these people to reach out to them to get back to work. If this one company has been having these issues, then it is not surprising that NCL has a staff shortage.

• Thanks 2

28 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

By definition, 100% vaccinated cruises are a niche market since they target a larger market. 

Wrong when the segment you define as "niche" is larger than the segment that seeks something other than 100% vaccinated cruises.  

On the timing issue.  Again no-one is claiming it is going to be a permanent policy so you're creating an issue where there is none.  In a sense, you're just debating with yourself on that one.  Have at it and let us know where you end up when you finish.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

It has nothing to do with catering to a niche market. It has to do with a safe restart to gain the confidence of the broad market. It is all about public perception of the safety of cruising. If they can "sell out" cruises with the lowest risk passengers, then the chance of a COVID outbreak is minimized. And with a fully vaccinated cruise, you can make your cruise look as "normal" as possible (vs. Royal's first North American cruise where they limited the Theater and Studio B Ice theater to around 20%-25% capacity). That is the marketing strategy. 

Royal's approach 

image.png.30e3357c6354b285713018bc75b1fa81.png

Yikes!!  I'm guessing that you have to get your reservation in REALLY quick to get into that show.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

The strange thing about these cancellations is that my booking for Star on 13th November is still in MyNCL and doesn't yet say that it is on hold.  Maybe they are going to sail it just for me lol

Our just cancelled October cruise on the Joy still shows in MyNcl also.   We never saw the 'Your cruise is on hold' notice.   However, NCL did add the 10% off coupon to my account.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Sand and Seas said:

Our just cancelled October cruise on the Joy still shows in MyNcl also.   We never saw the 'Your cruise is on hold' notice.   However, NCL did add the 10% off coupon to my account.

Our Jewel cruise on Jan 20 now has that "Your cruise is on hold" banner on MyNcl.

The Jewel was not mentioned in the latest list.

5 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I wouldn't call 100% vaccinated cruises a 'niche' market.  Given that a majority of Americans are vaccinated and given that a majority of NCL cruisers on these boards demand 100% vaccinated cruises, it just does not hold water that 100% vaccinated cruises are 'niche'.

Mixed cruises and un-vaccinated cruises are the niche markets, at least in relation to Norwegian cruise lines.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WarfRatWA said:

I wouldn't call 100% vaccinated cruises a 'niche' market.  Given that a majority of Americans are vaccinated and given that a majority of NCL cruisers on these boards demand 100% vaccinated cruises, it just does not hold water that 100% vaccinated cruises are 'niche'.

Mixed cruises and un-vaccinated cruises are the niche markets, at least in relation to Norwegian cruise lines.

By definition: "A niche market is a focused, targetable portion of a broader market in which specialized products or services can be sold."

I believe those who choose to sail with 100% vaccination will prove to be in the minority. Right now, less than 50% of Americans are fully vaccinated, but I do believe we will get to 60% eventually. However; we can't stop there. Of the 60% who are vaccinated, certainly more than 10% are likely to want/need to sail with children which would make them ineligible to sail NCL, thus lowering the 100% vac customer base even further. And then you have the group that is fully vaccinated but doesn't' care if the ship isn't.

When it all shakes out, those who will only sail with 100% vaccination are likely around 20-25% of the general population of cruisers~ a niche market. If NCL can cater to this percentage by keeping one or two ships 100% vac requirement, then they have capitalized on the niche market. Bravo ncl.

Remember, CC is only 4-5% of the entire cruise market. What the majority wants here does not necessarily represent what the majority of cruisers want. In fact, it has been proven the opposite many times. 

If NCL sticks with 100% vaccination requirements, the market for 100% is stronger than I anticipate. I'm absolutely fine being wrong on this topic. However; if NCL waivers and allows ships to sail without 100% vaccination (exclude Florida where other factors are at play), then I would hope we can all agree that the general market didn't support the idea of 100% vaccination regardless how many people on Cruise Critic want it to be true.

Ultimately the bean counters will decide.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

8 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

By definition: "A niche market is a focused, targetable portion of a broader market in which specialized products or services can be sold."

I believe those who choose to sail with 100% vaccination will prove to be in the minority. Right now, less than 50% of Americans are fully vaccinated, but I do believe we will get to 60% eventually. However; we can't stop there. Of the 60% who are vaccinated, certainly more than 10% are likely to want/need to sail with children which would make them ineligible to sail NCL, thus lowering the 100% vac customer base even further. And then you have the group that is fully vaccinated but doesn't' care if the ship isn't.

When it all shakes out, those who will only sail with 100% vaccination are likely around 20-25% of the general population of cruisers~ a niche market. If NCL can cater to this percentage by keeping one or two ships 100% vac requirement, then they have capitalized on the niche market. Bravo ncl.

Remember, CC is only 4-5% of the entire cruise market. What the majority wants here does not necessarily represent what the majority of cruisers want. In fact, it has been proven the opposite many times. 

If NCL sticks with 100% vaccination requirements, the market for 100% is stronger than I anticipate. I'm absolutely fine being wrong on this topic. However; if NCL waivers and allows ships to sail without 100% vaccination (exclude Florida where other factors are at play), then I would hope we can all agree that the general market didn't support the idea of 100% vaccination regardless how many people on Cruise Critic want it to be true.

Ultimately the bean counters will decide.

It's not really about the 100% vaccination requirement.  It's about not having to "obey" protocols to mask, distance and be jailed when somebody you sat next to sneezes.  That's a lot more than 25% of people who want to cruise.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

It's not really about the 100% vaccination requirement.  It's about not having to "obey" protocols to mask, distance and be jailed when somebody you sat next to sneezes.  That's a lot more than 25% of people who want to cruise.

Let's just wait and see. If I'm wrong, I'll buy you a beer.

If NCL changes their protocol to allow for those who are unvaccinated you can buy me one.

Regardless, we'll likely both have the beverage plan so a zero sum gain. 

In the grand scheme of things, it really does not matter and we are certain to learn who was 'right' soon enough 🙂

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Let's just wait and see. If I'm wrong, I'll buy you a beer.

If NCL changes their protocol to allow for those who are unvaccinated you can buy me one.

Regardless, we'll likely both have the beverage plan so a zero sum gain. 

In the grand scheme of things, it really does not matter and we are certain to learn who was 'right' soon enough 🙂

Yep.  That's fair.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DanMartin8602 said:

Our Jewel cruise on Jan 20 now has that "Your cruise is on hold" banner on MyNcl.

The Jewel was not mentioned in the latest list.

That scared me.  We booked Panama b2b and had the Jan. 9 cruise cancelled.  I'm still seeing the Jan. 20 Jewel booking.  The price dropped, as well as the airfar, but no more triple points/night.

I'm told that if I want to get the new lower price, I'd need to do a new booking (and lose the $150 bonus from a Cruise First cert I used, and lose the triple point offer).

3 hours ago, SpainAlien said:

Well from no indication MyNCL yesterday that my Star cruise was  cancelled, this morning it has gone and I have by Cruise First Certificate and FCC back in my account. Way to go NCL! 👏👏

My Dawn cruise is still showing as booked, so still have not yet received my FCC back, but the 10% voucher is on the account.  

• Like 1