Cancelled Explorer cruise

caradara

Tuesday my agent called to say that our cruise in South America was cancelled by Silversea.  I received the official email yesterday.  My complaint is that since it is our second cancelled cruise there is no offer other than transfer applicable monies paid to a new cruise or get a refund.  The rates have increased so much that if I don't want to pay more but transfer to 2022 for the same cruise I have to go down 2 cabin categories.  I'm disappointed that it wouldn't just be a direct transfer.  I'm just venting as I know that there are no solutions here.  Covid has played havoc with all of us and it is what it is.

3 hours ago, caradara said:

Tuesday my agent called to say that our cruise in South America was cancelled by Silversea.  I received the official email yesterday.  My complaint is that since it is our second cancelled cruise there is no offer other than transfer applicable monies paid to a new cruise or get a refund.  The rates have increased so much that if I don't want to pay more but transfer to 2022 for the same cruise I have to go down 2 cabin categories.  I'm disappointed that it wouldn't just be a direct transfer.  I'm just venting as I know that there are no solutions here.  Covid has played havoc with all of us and it is what it is.

I was looking at Tahiti to Valpo . . . I'm fairly shocked that Silversea will ask people with FCCs to downgrade by two categories because they have put their prices up.  Not exactly good customer relations.

11 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

I was looking at Tahiti to Valpo . . . I'm fairly shocked that Silversea will ask people with FCCs to downgrade by two categories because they have put their prices up.  Not exactly good customer relations.

I am not certain that I share your shock. An FCC is a monetary instrument giving the holder complete flexibility as to what kind of cruise s/he wants to apply it.  An FCC from a canceled cruise in the Mediterranean could be used to fund a cruise in the Caribbean.  I would be upset if an FCC were applicable only to a very similar cruise to the one that was cancelled (even if I were guaranteed the same accommodation.)  In any case, let's remember that these cancellations were not products of some Silversea whim, but rather were required by COVID. 

• Like 1

@Observer Sure, a FCC can be used as currency for any future cruise, but I don't think that's quite the point here. If a cruise is cancelled, and there is a nearly-identical cruise the following year, I think it's logical — and fair — to expect the cruise line to say, "if you want this same cruise next year, we'll transfer your booking to that cruise, " in the same or closest to similar cabin, at no additional fee. (This assumes someone has fully paid for the cruise, not for someone who has put down a small deposit.) If the customer declines the rollover, then the customer gets the money paid as a FCC to use as they wish.

So how was Silversea going to get a cruise ship to Indiana, anyway? 😉

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

If a cruise is cancelled, and there is a nearly-identical cruise the following year, I think it's logical — and fair — to expect the cruise line to say, "if you want this same cruise next year, we'll transfer your booking to that cruise, " in the same or closest to similar cabin, at no additional fee. (This assumes someone has fully paid for the cruise, not for someone who has put down a small deposit.) If the customer declines the rollover, then the customer gets the money paid as a FCC to use as they wish.

I agree completely! Flexibility is great, but it makes sense to offer a near identical cruise on the same terms as the cancelled one. Our Explorer cruise to Australia was cancelled this month too, and there's no way to replace it with the FCC available. There's not really a comparable itinerary, and the most similar ones are way more costly. Still not sure what we will do.

caradara, I'm so sorry this happened! I think it's fair to vent, and I hope you find something great to replace it with.

SilverSeas today is no longer facing the "same terms" themselves. 

It has been a very rough year for the cruise industry. Even getting back staff for re-training and training new staff is a huge burden they did not have before official reaction to "covid" shut everything down.  Let alone the new burdens imposed on today's cruise experience that did not exist yesterday either. This is a present reality check we all have to accept. 

54 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

SilverSeas today is no longer facing the "same terms" themselves. It has been a very rough year for the cruise industry... This is a present reality check we all have to accept. 

Absolutely, times have changed. We all need to expect, and accept, that cruise prices going forward will need to be higher (and/or shrives cut back) as cruise lines large and small try to work their way out of the hole that 15+ months of suspended operations has created. Every cruise line has massive loans and debts which will need to be repaid, and we passengers will be the ones paying.

That said, I think there should be some limited carve-outs on imposing higher prices, for customers bumped from one cruise to essentially the same one a year later. After all, earlier during this crisis, cruise lines were giving 25% and 15% bonuses on FCCs -- and we all understood that was likely going to be offset by higher prices by the time the FCCs were used. Now, the cruise lines no longer give such bonuses on FCCs, and that's not unreasonable. But they should make an effort to price protect their passengers narrowly applied just to those who are now being bumped from newly-cancelled cruises, if those customers accept a roll-over to a similar cruise the following year. Partly that's just good customer relations. Partly it's because the cruise line has had the use of the customer's prepayment, in some cases for 2 or 3 years. That's my opinion, but it clearly doesn't mean the executives at the cruise lines agree, so this discussion is likely moot. 😉

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

..if those customers accept a roll-over to a similar cruise the following year.

I hear you. But can you imagine the volume of disputes between guests and the cruise line as to whether a given cruise is sufficiently "similar."  This might be easier to execute if Silversea had months of seven night cruises departing from the same port with the same ship and following essentially the same itinerary.  The similarities would be obvious. Fortunately IMHO Silversea's itineraries (and ships in the fleet) are much more varied.

Edited by Observer

21 minutes ago, Observer said:

But can you imagine the volume of disputes between guests and the cruise line as to whether a given cruise is sufficiently "similar."

You're right, and that might be the exact reason they don't try to thread that needle. (But the cynic in me thinks it's just because they want more money. 😉 )

In this case, the original poster here said here is a "same cruise next year", and it's for people in that position that I was saying I thought the cruise line can and should go the extra distance to make them whole. 

I haven't seen it in writing yet but my agent says that Silversea will give me the exact same cruise in 2022 for 1 category downward excluding some of the perks offered for 2021 such as OBC and a hotel on the return.  If it is so then I will take it since I don't really need the OBC nor the hotel on the return.  I do understand that their costs are increasing but they've had my money for a long time.  Until I see it in writing though...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caradara said:

I haven't seen it in writing yet but my agent says that Silversea will give me the exact same cruise in 2022 for 1 category downward excluding some of the perks offered for 2021 such as OBC and a hotel on the return.  If it is so then I will take it since I don't really need the OBC nor the hotel on the return.  I do understand that their costs are increasing but they've had my money for a long time.  Until I see it in writing though...

Will the 2022 cruise include the new 'included shore excursions' perk?  If so, you come out way ahead.

It's on the Explorer so is an expedition cruise and all excursions are always included on those.  This will be our 4th one if it occurs and we've really enjoyed that type of cruising (zodiaks, hiking, etc.).

4 hours ago, Bucephalus53 said:

I keep waiting for the moment to jump back in and reserve a cruise...then I read stuff like this and realize it would be foolish (for me) to do so. 

I'm not sure I understand. Why would it be foolish for you to book a future cruise? Prices have gone up, and will likely continue to do so. It's inevitable after the many billions lost by the cruise lines. The only issue other than that being discussed in this thread is for someone whose cruise was recently cancelled, and whether the cruise line should give them an equivalent cruise next year or give them the dollar equivalent of what they've paid.

But if you don't currently have a cruise booked, that issue isn't relevant; the only issue is that a 2022 or 2023 cruise will undoubtedly cost more than before the world stopped in 2020. And it seems unlikely for prices to drop unless demand is weak or the economy goes into a tailspin.

• Like 2

Update on our cancelled and rebooked cruise:  Silversea came through completely with rebooking the 2021 cruise to 2022 with the same cabin category and perks.  Initially they told my agent no but then they reconsidered, I guess.  Anyway it is posted online in mysilversea and I am happy.

• Like 7

On 6/27/2021 at 4:20 AM, caradara said:

Update on our cancelled and rebooked cruise:  Silversea came through completely with rebooking the 2021 cruise to 2022 with the same cabin category and perks.  Initially they told my agent no but then they reconsidered, I guess.  Anyway it is posted online in mysilversea and I am happy.

That’s good to hear, thanks for sharing the feed back.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/27/2021 at 4:20 AM, caradara said:

Hi caradara and congrats on your successful rebooking! I'm now trying to achieve the same thing with our cancelled Australia cruise on the Explorer, since the new schedule includes the identical cruise in reverse--but for a couple thousand $ per person additional. My agent won't ask for a straight-across trade on this rebooking unless I can tell her more details (passenger name and voyage). However, I can't get in touch with you because CC's message function is now disabled. If you are willing to share that with me privately, please email me at nativespud at gmail. Thanks in advance if you are okay with that, and no problem at all if you would prefer not to. I appreciate you considering it. 🙂 

15 minutes ago, FauxNom said:

My agent won't ask for a straight-across trade on this rebooking unless

@FauxNom One thing to factor into the equation is that for cruises from spring 2022 on, Silversea has added two "inclusions" which drive up the price of every cruise: (a) the one "free" excursion in every port, and (b) the "door-to-door" transportation to and from your home and local airport. Since these actually cost Silversea money, I doubt they will do a dollar-for-dollar swap of itineraries and eat those costs out of their pocket. This is different than them just raising the price for the identical trip a year later; the trip a year later isn't quite identical due to these inclusions.

Of course, some people wish they weren't including the excursions and transportation in the "all included" base fare, but for the time being at least, that's how Silversea has decided to change and position their offerings. 

I think it's reasonable to ask them to hold the base cost the same for you, as they did for @caradara, but you should expect some increase in price for these included amenities (whether you want them or not). The problem is that you can't know how they calculate their out-of-pocket cost for those amenities, so it's hard to know how much of the price increase is due to a general increase -- which you can reasonably ask them to waive for you -- and how much is due to these aded costs. 

1 minute ago, cruiseej said:

I think it's reasonable to ask them to hold the base cost the same for you, as they did for @caradara, but you should expect some increase in price for these included amenities (whether you want them or not).

Those are reasonable points. Expedition cruises are unchanged by the "free excursion" perk, since they've always been all-inclusive. And I would be unable to use the airport transfer service because of distance from the airport, so that would also be at no cost to Silversea. (If I pay list price, I would benefit from a $100 reduction in fare.)  I'm not unaware of increased costs, but since we patiently held that reservation for a year, even though it seemed doomed at a certain point, it would be nice to have the base cost hold steady when we had to forego other opportunities to book a different cruise.

I sent FauxNom an email.  We're on the Explorer so all tours are included anyway.  I did lose the OBC but I kept the same cabin category for 2022.  We were originally cancelled for 2020 then for 2021 so, hopefully, 2022 will work.  The loss of the OBC was fine with us as everything is included that we want/need.  The door to door perk wouldn't work for us as we live over 100 miles from an airport.  We still get the cruise, the hotels, the transfers, and the air.  We're satisfied.

29 minutes ago, caradara said:

I sent FauxNom an email. 

Caradara, I'm grateful! We're in the same situation. We would gladly lose the $1k OBC if we could match the base price. 

Unfortunately, I've not received your message. Would you mind checking the address--I didn't spell out gmail.com because I didn't want to broadcast my email address to the world (subtle, right? 😂 ) But maybe it needs a resend?

I'm confident your 2022 voyage will happen, and you can report back to me about all the things we missed between Tortel and Valparaiso! 

Thanks!

Kathy

Just checking in to say we booked our replacement cruise in Australia in May 2023! We didn't have luck with the fare-matching request, but while it was pending the voyage price was reduced when Silversea added an air credit. So we are pretty close to our original fare--close enough to seal the deal. Thanks, caradara, for your email. Fingers crossed that we both get to actually make these long-deferred trips!

• Like 1