British Columbia April 2022

What are the chances that Victoria  / Vancouver will be open to California cruisers next year??  This is to replace 2020 canceled cruise & 2021 canceled stops 

Edited by Ombud

Agree with CruiserBruce that no one here will be able to definitively confirm Victoria/Vancouver will open back up to cruise ships again.  I'm pretty optimistic though too.

With Alaska bound ships skipping BC, there is pressure to opening the ports back up though.

I think a couple of checklist type items that would support the reopening to watch for are:

• When the US/Can border open in general.  I'm hopeful it will be at the end of July.
  • When BC gets to step 4 of the reopening plan which opens pretty much everything back up including large indoor events like concerts.  I think they moved up the earliest target start date for step 4 from Sept 7 to 3.
  • Whether or not the Delta variant or other variants of concern increase cases and hospitalizations significantly in North America in the fall/winter.

The other question though is what kind of entry restrictions might be in place like if or when you have to test even if vaccinated.

It's fairly likely; however nothing is a given these days. 

Currently the province of BC has very low C19 numbers (few dozen cases/day); and Canada has been able to keep numbers low (Canada - the whole country - has had fewer C19 deaths than just the state of Pennsylvania) by taking what seemed like drastic measures by doing things like closing the borders to tourism.

It was announced this afternoon that cruise ships can start sailing out of Canadian ports as of Nov 1, 2021 subject to COVID -19 Protocol - doesn't help with this seasons cruises but gives the cruise lines lots of time to get cruises back into Canadian ports for 2022.

All that needs to be done now is to get the border opened.