Passports

babs135

Now that cruising is returning, albeit very slowly here's a reminder of changes to the passport expiry date.  If you renewed early the extra time was added on but that is no longer the case.  For example, the expiry date of my passport is October 2022 BUT for travel to Europe  the expiry date is JULY 2021!!!.  You also need 6 months left on your passport to travel to a number of countries. So check.

Yes best to check. My passport runs from April 2016 to December 2026 which I think means it actually runs out in April 2026 as it lasts 10 years. I lose the 8 months I was given at the last early renewal.

Sorry for being dim, I’m don’t understand where you find out that you’re expiry date for Europe is 11 months earlier than the date on your passport minus 6 months ? How would I know what the Europe expiry date on my passport is as compared to the rest of the world (usually 6 months)?

8 hours ago, ozscotart said:

Sorry for being dim, I’m don’t understand where you find out that you’re expiry date for Europe is 11 months earlier than the date on your passport minus 6 months ? How would I know what the Europe expiry date on my passport is as compared to the rest of the world (usually 6 months)?

You used to be able to renew your passport up to 6 months early, same as you can still renew your car’s MOT up to a month early.

But now your passport expires exactly ten years after its start date,regardless of the expiry date shown.

And whereas some countries allow you in provided that your passport hasn’t expired,  most (all ?) require that your passport has 6 months validity left. Because we left theEU, EU countries now require that 6 months validity. 

JB 🙂

From HM Passport Office:

"From 10 September 2018 all Adult passports will be issued with a duration of 10 years and will expire 10 years after the date of issue and all Child passports will be issued with a duration of 5 years and will expire 5 years after the date of issue"

but:

"All issued UK passports will continue to be valid until their stated date of expiry"

So I don't think you have to deduct any "extra time" (up to 9 months) from the expiry date stated on your passport.

HM Passport Checks

I agree that many countries, including those in the EU, require at least 6 months validity; and some countries stipulate how many blank pages should be available.

12 hours ago, ozscotart said:

go here        Check a passport for travel to Europe - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

On 6/26/2021 at 9:46 PM, flossie009 said:

So I don't think you have to deduct any "extra time" (up to 9 months) from the expiry date stated on your passport.

On 6/26/2021 at 11:17 PM, babs135 said:

From the Passport check in post 6 it seems I was wrong with my statement in post 5; my apologies.

I still do not understand why EU countries apparently no longer accept an expiry date printed on an official document issued in the U.K. ………….. and I can find no explanation for this anomaly.

Will the U.K. Passport Office be refunding the fees for the months lost? 🤨

22 hours ago, flossie009 said:

From the Passport check in post 6 it seems I was wrong with my statement in post 5; my apologies.

I still do not understand why EU countries apparently no longer accept an expiry date printed on an official document issued in the U.K. ………….. and I can find no explanation for this anomaly.

The U.K. was unusual in its giving of additional months on renewal of a passport, most other countries don’t appear to do that. The rule on validity and expiry came into operation some years ago in the EU, but didn’t matter as EU members only needed a valid passport or ID card to travel. Now we are deemed a third country that rule we agreed to now applies to us when we travel.

This along with longer queues, questions on entry and stamps in passport is something we now have to get used to, next year we will have ETIAS to contend with. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2021 at 9:36 AM, flossie009 said:

Couple of things wrong in some posts.  We used to be allowed to get our passport 9 months early.  The rules for some Europeon countries is in short 9 years 6 months after the date of issue.  The date of expiry can be ignored for these purposes.  

Therefore for sake of ease lets pretend your previous passport was due to end 1st October 2013.  You took advantage of the 9 months early and got your new one on 1st January 2013.  Therefore you had a passport which says expiry is 1st October 2023.  However as far as EU countries are concerned your passport only covers you to 1st July 2022.