Travel Insurance

Debra_Murdock

Update ***  We were very successful with Blue Cross.  The lady my husband spoke with was very helpful.   Yes, Blue Cross insurance will cover cruise travel (we are in Ontario)  There is a special on right now until September 30 - travellers under the age of 75 can purchase a 17 or 31 day travel insurance for the cost of one trip insurance.   We have 3 cruises booked in the next 6 months so this was a bonus for us.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mjox32 said:

Update ***  We were very successful with Blue Cross.  The lady my husband spoke with was very helpful.   Yes, Blue Cross insurance will cover cruise travel (we are in Ontario)  There is a special on right now until September 30 - travellers under the age of 75 can purchase a 17 or 31 day travel insurance for the cost of one trip insurance.   We have 3 cruises booked in the next 6 months so this was a bonus for us.  

Great, good to hear, both the coverage and the sale!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, mjox32 said:

It’s my understanding that Blue Cross will cover medical expenses related to Covid-19.  I don’t think they cover trip interruption/cancellation or quarantine, should you test positive on your way back to Canada.

1 hour ago, soccersharon said:

It’s my understanding that Blue Cross will cover medical expenses related to Covid-19.  I don’t think they cover trip interruption/cancellation or quarantine, should you test positive on your way back to Canada.

This is correct. They will cover medical expenses only. Quarantine expenses are on the traveller. 

It is interesting to see what Blue Cross covers in different regions of Canada.  I have a personal health plan with Pacific Blue Cross here in B.C. that does not include travel coverage.  I called them yesterday to see if they currently sell emergency medical coverage for cruises and I was told they do not and would not as long as the Canadian government had an advisory in place to avoid all travel on cruise ships.  The last time I spoke to the broker I usually get my travel insurance from I was advised they could obtain emergency medical insurance for me if I went on a cruise but it would not cover any costs directly related to Covid-19.  Hopefully when the ban on cruise vessels in Canadian waters is lifted on November 1, 2021 the travel advisory regarding cruising will also be lifted or modified in a manner that would make it easier to obtain insurance.   Regards,  Paul

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, paf225 said:

Hopefully when the ban on cruise vessels in Canadian waters is lifted on November 1, 2021 the travel advisory regarding cruising will also be lifted or modified in a manner that would make it easier to obtain insurance. 

The cruise travel advisory and the cruise ship ban are unrelated, other than being instituted by the GOC to protect Canadians against COVID.  The cruise travel advisory, like the general travel advisory, is intended to advise Canadians about the dangers inherent in travelling during the pandemic. The cruise ship ban is similar in intent to the border restrictions, intended to prevent people bringing COVID into the country. Just as they have relaxed restrictions for residents of the US and other countries wishing to enter Canada, but have left the general travel advisory in place for Canadians travelling to those very same countries, so too I expect that when the cruise ship ban is dropped and foreign cruises can enter Canada, the cruise advisory will remain in place.

55 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

The cruise travel advisory and the cruise ship ban are unrelated, other than being instituted by the GOC to protect Canadians against COVID.  The cruise travel advisory, like the general travel advisory, is intended to advise Canadians about the dangers inherent in travelling during the pandemic. The cruise ship ban is similar in intent to the border restrictions, intended to prevent people bringing COVID into the country. Just as they have relaxed restrictions for residents of the US and other countries wishing to enter Canada, but have left the general travel advisory in place for Canadians travelling to those very same countries, so too I expect that when the cruise ship ban is dropped and foreign cruises can enter Canada, the cruise advisory will remain in place.

I do agree the ban and the advisory are not interdependent and one may stay in place even when the other is lifted.  I also believe they are related beyond both being implemented by the Government of Canada simply due to the fact they both impact the cruise industry and those who would like to cruise.  I do find the message sent by the government would be slightly confusing if they lift the ban which indicates it's safe for cruise ships to dock at Canadian ports but maintains the advisory saying it's unsafe for Canadians to be on those ships.  Regards, Paul

• Like 2

On 9/14/2021 at 3:06 PM, mjox32 said:

Do you have links/contacts for Blue Cross that you dealt with to get insurance?  Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Middleager said:

Do you have links/contacts for Blue Cross that you dealt with to get insurance?  Thanks.

We called the 1-866 # at the top of the page for Ontario Blue Cross    https://on.bluecross.ca/

Hope this helps.   We actually bought the annual special since we have 3 cruises booked (or I should say re-booked).   We had them start the policy the day we fly out of YYZ  (next month)

Hope this helps

Margo

• Like 2

On 9/15/2021 at 8:35 AM, soccersharon said:

No they do not cover this but we are lucky our cruise line will cover this and provide a flight home.     

I just cancel my annual insurance with Johnson Insurance because of the travel advisory and received a full refund.  Currently, Johnson Insurance does not offer Trip Cancellation. Therefore, I decided to purchase Princess Cruise insurance and Ontario Blue Cross (medical). As far I know except Princess, Insurance Companies do not offer Trip Cancellation for Covid related. So read the fine print. 

• On 9/13/2021 at 6:39 PM, Ginnyfyr said:

Blue Cross does. 

blue cross.jpg

From Blue Cross website:-
  • COVID-19 is considered a known situation for Trip Cancellation or Interruption insurance. You will not be covered if you must cancel or interrupt your trip for this reason.
  • you can find this wording under Travel Insurance Quote

On 9/19/2021 at 8:47 AM, Sue from Canada said:

Canadian multi-quote site for travel insurance.  I happened to come across this site by accident.  I'm glad I did.  Note:  Some companies will offer Covid insurance.

https://rates.ca/insurance-quotes/travel

Travel insurance has never been that important. I sugest everyone getting it as you may never know what the situation on board can be and its better if you will have a chance for at least some kind of compensation. I think it will become mandatory 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Sue from Canada said:

This is a great site I recently came upon.  You'll get multiple quotes from different companies and some include covid coverage and some do not.

www.rates.ca

Thank you. Great site and not an arm and a leg quotes either.

On 9/26/2021 at 3:51 AM, Sue from Canada said:

This is a great site I recently came upon.  You'll get multiple quotes from different companies and some include covid coverage and some do not.

www.rates.ca

I took  a peek.   I could not find a destination that indicates cruising or multiple destinations .  Did I miss it in the dropdown?

Thanks

3 hours ago, cruzincanuck said:

I took  a peek.   I could not find a destination that indicates cruising or multiple destinations .  Did I miss it in the dropdown?

Thanks

Click on the question mark in the red circle beside "Trip Destination" and you find the following:

Are you looking for a multi-trip policy or going on a cruise?

If you are visiting more than one country, select the country you will be visiting the longest.

If you are spending equal time in several countries (e.g. on a cruise) just select one of them.

If you will be in the USA for six or more days, select the USA as your trip destination.
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ak1004 said:

Can you get a cancellation insurance for cruises, and if so, which company? Does it include COVID?

As far as I know, all travel insurance companies offer cancellation insurance. However, not COVID-related cancellation or trip interruption insurance.

• Like 1

I just purchased some medical coverage through Blue Cross.   While they do not cover cancellation/interruption, they do cover any medical expenses arising from Covid.   I am more concerned about the big ticket items of having to go to the hospital due to Covid(or any other medical issue for that matter).

The cruiselines have flexible cancellation rules(ie.  With Celebrity,you can cancel up toe 48 hours).   Also, my credit cards cover certain types of cancellation.  However, they are not covering medical expenses arising from covid.

For the two of us, it was less than $200 for an unlimited number of trips over the next year.   I think that was well worth the investment.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, tert333 said:

I just purchased some medical coverage through Blue Cross.   

For the two of us, it was less than $200 for an unlimited number of trips over the next year.   I think that was well worth the investment.

You are lucky to get a good deal.

My solo quote with age and stable pre- existing was $900 for 18 days!!!

On 9/4/2021 at 3:06 PM, MR_T said:

So a follow up to my previous posts… I emailed manulife (coverme) to ask a couple of questions regarding their medical emergency only policy and got the below response, the first part is my email followed by their reply in bold!

Hi,

We are looking to get some travel insurance and have a couple of questions relating to the coverme policy you offer on your website.

Regarding the exclusions in the policy under section 8 & points 5, 25 & 26 am I right in thinking the exclusions mentioned relating to the Canada government travel advisory’s are specifically regarding to COVID-19 and any other medical emergencies would be covered as long as they are not connected to COVID 19? I believe this is what it’s saying but just looking for some confirmation on this from the company offering it.

Dear Tony,

Thank you for contacting us.

That is correct.  Any illness that is unrelated to COVID would be covered.  If you would like to have coverage for COVID, you may take a look at our pandemic plan.

Should you require further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us by email 

How did you email them?

My TA told me that Manulife doesn't cover cruises at this point, only Blue Cross - I want to confirm.

4 minutes ago, ak1004 said:

How did you email them?

My TA told me that Manulife doesn't cover cruises at this point, only Blue Cross - I want to confirm.

Your TA is wrong, Blue Cross is NOT the only company providing COVID coverage for cruises. My policy with Johnson Insurance, for one, provides COVID-related medical coverage, just not related trip interruption or cancellation.