What makes ''the beach'' so great too you I know what is is for me.

dolittle

Most cruises are still beach centered, it really does have magic for those who let it .We were on the beach all day yesterday in Wildwood Crest N.J  . There are so many great things about it we had brought a great lunch, cold drinks and snacks .The weather was great, sunny not to hot just a great day to do it all and we did swam(water still a little cold) walked a couple miles along the sand and sat and did nothing till late in the day. I love to people watch  and that is what best about the beach seeing families and young kids having the best times of their lives .That never gets old for me. What makes it great for you .For those who don't get ''the beech'' you are missing out on one of life's great joys.

9 minutes ago, dolittle said:

Most cruises are still beach centered, it really does have magic for those who let it .We were on the beach all day yesterday in Wildwood Crest N.J  . There are so many great things about it we had brought a great lunch, cold drinks and snacks .The weather was great, sunny not to hot just a great day to do it all and we did swam(water still a little cold) walked a couple miles along the sand and sat and did nothing till late in the day. I love to people watch  and that is what best about the beach seeing families and young kids having the best times of their lives .That never gets old for me. What makes it great for you .For those who don't get ''the beech'' you are missing out on one of life's great joys.

The biggest problem with the Jersey Shore and most other East Coast locations (other than Gulf-side Swamplandia) is that the sun sets on the wrong side of the ocean.

Maybe if you were asking about the Pacific...

90D10870-2A00-40E4-AE4B-4467C6A23759.jpeg

• Like 1

I am not a sun bather, but I go to Northern California beaches routinely.  I was on a beach just this past Monday.  Got there right before high tide.   Had waders and my old Garcia Conolon rod for surf perch fishing!   My son and I do this pretty much year round.   

Most of the beaches I frequent have big breakers and pretty severe rip currents.  Not really safe for family swimming.  But I agree it is nice to see families out enjoying the big sandy beach.  When I'm hiking back to the car, which involves a lot of huffing and puffing (I hate sand dunes, haha) I enjoy  planting sand dollars so the little kids "find" them!    

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

The biggest problem with the Jersey Shore and most other East Coast locations (other than Gulf-side Swamplandia) is that the sun sets on the wrong side of the ocean.

Maybe if you were asking about the Pacific...

90D10870-2A00-40E4-AE4B-4467C6A23759.jpeg

Of course, if you are able to drag your butt out of bed at an early hour you can welcome the sun to your day.   A sunrise over the sea is reason enough to book a portside balcony on a sailing south from New York.  

• Like 1

My favorite beach sunset spot is Siesta Key in southwest Florida. What I love about this specific beach is the incredible powder-soft sand (it never gets hot - it's cool to the touch even on the hottest August days). This is the quintessential walking beach, with warm, crystal clear water, and great shell hunting. To make it even better, there's a place to snorkel at the south end of the beach called Point of Rocks, with pink corals and lots of fish.

GGCA Potluck Picnic at Siesta Key Beach | Gulf Gate Community Association

• Like 2

I understand that everyone has their own preferences, but I just don't get people who can't enjoy the beach. I never have and never will. I understand some people may not want to roast in the sun or go in the ocean, but some people will just not go near it at all.

I absolutely love going to the beach. It's beautiful, it's peaceful, it's relaxing. It's very nice on a cruise when you get off and a beautiful beach is within walking distance. Some of these Carribean beaches are just simply outstanding. 

We have enough stress and crap weather days in our lives. When you are able to enjoy a beautiful day at the beach, nothing else matters at that moment.

Beaches come in all types from the waves of the Hamptons, the coarse yellow sand of Atlantic Ocean beaches, sugar white sand of some Gulf or Caribbean waters, black sand, pink sand, even green sand in Hawaii.

We moved to SWFL 3 and 1/4 years ago to be near great beaches and fishing.  Unfortunately, our timing intersected with 2 years of the worst red tide ever in Florida Gulf waters, and the toxic blue green algae from Lake Okeechobee to the Caloosahatchie River.  UGH! 

Edited by evandbob

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

We are an hour’s drive from the Atlantic beaches here in NJ. My family grew up here (kids are 4th generation) and we all love the waves. 

I suppose OK (for an East-facing beach) but the South shores of Long Island, Martha’s Vineyard, and Nantucket are the best.

13 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I suppose OK (for an East-facing beach) but the South shores of Long Island, Martha’s Vineyard, and Nantucket are the best.

I’ll take LBI over LI, MA beaches have cold water. NJ has way more options than LI, built up boardwalks like point pleasant, seaside, ocean city and wildwood, natural areas like Sandy hook or island beach state park, and everything in between.

8 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

I’ll take LBI over LI, MA beaches have cold water. NJ has way more options than LI, built up boardwalks like point pleasant, seaside, ocean city and wildwood, natural areas like Sandy hook or island beach state park, and everything in between.

I’ve always felt that the  best way to ruin a beach is to build a boardwalk along it.  The MA beaches are in many areas so uncrowded that you can still gather driftwood and build a fire.

1 hour ago, mjkacmom said:

We are an hour’s drive from the Atlantic beaches here in NJ. My family grew up here (kids are 4th generation) and we all love the waves. 

Same here, slightly more than an hour . Lucky enough to have grandparents(Longport) and aunts (L.B.I.) with shore houses. To my family and all my cousins those were the best times of our lives. 

5 minutes ago, navybankerteacher said:

I’ve always felt that the  best way to ruin a beach is to build a boardwalk along it.  The MA beaches are in many areas so uncrowded that you can still gather driftwood and build a fire.

A good mix is best ,there are still un-crowded beaches almost everywhere if you look and are up for a walk . We also were up on the boardwalk Fri.

12 minutes ago, mjkacmom said:

Want the “ultimate” beach? Nā Pali

93F8CA8F-680C-43E8-8848-CBBB1ACD6DDA.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I understand that everyone has their own preferences, but I just don't get people who can't enjoy the beach. I never have and never will. I understand some people may not want to roast in the sun or go in the ocean, but some people will just not go near it at all.

I absolutely love going to the beach. It's beautiful, it's peaceful, it's relaxing. It's very nice on a cruise when you get off and a beautiful beach is within walking distance. Some of these Carribean beaches are just simply outstanding. 

We have enough stress and crap weather days in our lives. When you are able to enjoy a beautiful day at the beach, nothing else matters at that moment.

There is defiantly something about being on a beach near the ocean that appeals.   This is on the north end of Monterey Bay (CA) back in Feb.  Temps in the 50's on a calm day.  

NB Beach 1-19-21.jpeg

Edited by ldubs
Pic upload issue
  • Like 1

The Summers when I was not cruising, I went "beach shopping" for a beach experience that I enjoyed and that was in reasonable driving distance from where I live.  

My State's Lake Erie beaches were too close.  The MA, LI, and NJ beaches were too far away.  As were the beaches of Florida.  

Began with Ocean City, MD.  Good.  While in the vicinity, visited the Delaware beaches:  too quiet.  Didn't care for Rehoboth Beach, either.   Next year, visited Virginia Beach:  better.  Visited there a few times, trying to find a hotel/motel along the oceanfront that I could afford, was clean, with good parking.  Stayed at one (that is still somehow in business) that didn't have bed bugs, but the rooms were shabby and not well cleaned nor care for with a staff that "could have cared less".  Visited one small property that was family owned and run that looked promising.  The next Summer, tried Myrtle Beach.  Once was enough for that area.  

Returned to Virginia Beach to that family owned motel and was very pleased.  Enough so that I patronized it for several years, including after I retired.  Cannot do so anymore.  It has been torn down.  

If I decide to make a trip to the Atlantic Ocean this late Summer or early Fall, I will return to Virginia Beach.  I already--due to my previous visits--have a couple of hotels in mind that I believe would satisfy me. 

55 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

If I decide to make a trip to the Atlantic Ocean this late Summer or early Fall, I will return to Virginia Beach.  I already--due to my previous visits--have a couple of hotels in mind that I believe would satisfy me. 

When in port in Norfolk I used to go to the Navy beach at the north end of Virginia Beach - and in the evenings hit the dances at the Cavalier.  
I’d guess it’s pretty pricy now.

7 hours ago, evandbob said:

Beaches come in all types from the waves of the Hamptons, the coarse yellow sand of Atlantic Ocean beaches, 

IN W.W. Crest the sand is soft and white .Softer than many beach's on Florida east coast .Love them too

23 hours ago, dolittle said:

Most cruises are still beach centered, it really does have magic for those who let it .

Well maybe true of cruises round the Caribbean , and one to the island ( Fiji or Vanuatu )

But there are a lot more places to cruises other than a beach as such.....   So far have not taken a cruise to a beach... and have no interest in doing so..... Do enjoy a beach in winter to walk along

like the one below... runs for about 4.5 km   and a lot of the time you can walk up and back and see nobody .....

1955252144_wallstanleytatlowsbeach_8021210.thumb.jpg.e1198b7c27d20d2e2b16e221c0a75821.jpg

Each to his own.....  enjoy your beach... whichever way...

Don

P.S the beach we can see from our accommodation and is less than 5 mins till your on the sand

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Well maybe true of cruises round the Caribbean , and one to the island ( Fiji or Vanuatu )

But there are a lot more places to cruises other than a beach as such.....   So far have not taken a cruise to a beach... and have no interest in doing so..... Do enjoy a beach in winter to walk along

like the one below... runs for about 4.5 km   and a lot of the time you can walk up and back and see nobody .....

1955252144_wallstanleytatlowsbeach_8021210.thumb.jpg.e1198b7c27d20d2e2b16e221c0a75821.jpg

Each to his own.....  enjoy your beach... whichever way...

Don

P.S the beach we can see from our accommodation and is less than 5 mins till your on the sand

". . and a lot of the time you can walk up and back and see nobody ....."

That is one of the beauties of being retired and able to go to places mid-week.   It is like you own the place!  

7 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

Island Beach State park N.J. is the best, great beach and nothing but beach .The bay is so peaceful and empty. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

the Cavalier

This is a hotel/resort that I have visited during a few visits.  It just never appealed to me.  An advantage that it had was that it was at the very North end of the Beach.  It's been some time since I have visited Virginia Beach, I wonder what has developed North of their location?