What makes ''the beach'' so great too you I know what is is for me.

I grew up spending every summer on the beaches of Fort Lauderdale; my grandparents had a house near the inlet (we watched cruise and cargo ships go by from the front driveway) and us kids -- with an adult chaperone -- went to the beach every afternoon via a sandy lane that cut through the recently built condos to the sandy beach beyond.

It was great as a kid but maybe just grew out of it, dunno what happened.  In my opinion the best beach "experience" is seeing it from maybe a nice bar or deck overlooking the beach with a cool drink in hand rather than actually being ON it. I'm so over the sand-in-the-swimsuit, tar-on-the-feet thing.  The other "best" view is when arriving or departing on a ship -- not being ironic, I genuinely appreciate the beach best at those moments.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I grew up spending every summer on the beaches of Fort Lauderdale; my grandparents had a house near the inlet (we watched cruise and cargo ships go by from the front driveway) and us kids -- with an adult chaperone -- went to the beach every afternoon via a sandy lane that cut through the recently built condos to the sandy beach beyond.

It was great as a kid but maybe just grew out of it, dunno what happened.  In my opinion the best beach "experience" is seeing it from maybe a nice bar or deck overlooking the beach with a cool drink in hand rather than actually being ON it. I'm so over the sand-in-the-swimsuit, tar-on-the-feet thing.  The other "best" view is when arriving or departing on a ship -- not being ironic, I genuinely appreciate the beach best at those moments.

Posted (edited)
On 6/26/2021 at 6:44 PM, dolittle said:

Most cruises are still beach centered, it really does have magic for those who let it .We were on the beach all day.

What makes it great for you?

what makes it for me is no sign of my job or co-workers.  We love cruising and personally I love it cause I cannot be contacted by my work

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth

On 6/26/2021 at 6:44 PM, dolittle said:

Most cruises are still beach centered, it really does have magic for those who let it .We were on the beach all day yesterday in Wildwood Crest N.J  . There are so many great things about it we had brought a great lunch, cold drinks and snacks .The weather was great, sunny not to hot just a great day to do it all and we did swam(water still a little cold) walked a couple miles along the sand and sat and did nothing till late in the day. I love to people watch  and that is what best about the beach seeing families and young kids having the best times of their lives .That never gets old for me. What makes it great for you .For those who don't get ''the beech'' you are missing out on one of life's great joys.

My first time on a beach was Coney Island in 1945.I had my very first birthday party on a beach.I have been to beaches all over North America and live 10 minutes from one currently.

My favorite beaches are definitely in Caribbean, Trunk Bay in St Johns is amazing they have used it in some movies.  Also most beaches in St Maarten. Been cruising Caribbean for over 40 years and will be back there next week, have done over 50 Caribbean cruises.

For me, it is only the smell of salt air. Most beaches around me are dirty and disgusting. What I mean by that is if I can see the sea floor in knee deep water, it is a dirty beach. Living in S FL growing up spoiled me a bit. Visiting the USVI made it even more desirable. Visiting the Keys was great growing up as well. However, I have absolutely no desire for the beaches that are 2 hours away from me other than to smell the salt air.

On 6/27/2021 at 8:19 PM, cruisemom42 said:

Loved your post because you reminded me of something long forgotten,,,,,tar on the feet.  Many years ago my parents moved to the Ft Lauderdale area and used to rent a cabana in Hollywood, FL.  When I would come out of the water there were usually tar balls on my feet which had to be removed using a bucket of turpentine kept by the resort and located just off the beach.  It was gross!  Now, more then 45 years later DW and I remain fanatical beach lovers and still spend months (every year) living near beaches.  But none of the beaches we frequent have tar balls and we have no interest in those kind of dirty beaches/water.

Hank

P.S.  Currently in a Myrtle Beach condo that overlooks a beautiful beach.  In a few weeks we expect to be on multiple beaches in the Greek Islands.  Life is a beach!

• Like 1

here in Western Australia we have lovely beaches, both long sandy ones and those that are good for strolling on or beach fishing. I have fond memories of a holiday last year taking international friends to a beach in our southwest wine country. This is a strolling beach and early morning you can watch the rabbits and birds come out to play. We had a deck that looked onto the beach and it was bliss.

IMG_4424.thumb.JPG.d996ebfb62484d612d5c4cc53e52cc2a.JPG

IMG_4426.thumb.JPG.00abc02e9b0fd5e073142d2ac914b0c5.JPG

IMG_4429.JPG

13 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

For me, it is only the smell of salt air. Most beaches around me are dirty and disgusting. What I mean by that is if I can see the sea floor in knee deep water, it is a dirty beach. Living in S FL growing up spoiled me a bit. Visiting the USVI made it even more desirable. Visiting the Keys was great growing up as well. However, I have absolutely no desire for the beaches that are 2 hours away from me other than to smell the salt air.

Come to a South Florida beach today and you'll likely smell something other than salt air.  So much Sargassum is washing up on the Atlantic Coast and as it decays, hydrogen sulfide gives off a rotten egg stench.

Come to the Gulf Coast and you have your choice of red tide from Tampa south to Naples, or blue green toxins from Lake O oozing down the Caloosahatchie River to Cape Coral.  There's also a new type of alga killing sea life and grasses in Matlacha.

I moved to SWFL 3 and 1/4 years ago and couldn't go fishing for a total of 26 months.  IMO, the Hudson River near the Tappan Zee Bridge is cleaner than the Florida Gulf waters around Ft Myers.

36 minutes ago, evandbob said:

Come to a South Florida beach today and you'll likely smell something other than salt air.  So much Sargassum is washing up on the Atlantic Coast and as it decays, hydrogen sulfide gives off a rotten egg stench.

Come to the Gulf Coast and you have your choice of red tide from Tampa south to Naples, or blue green toxins from Lake O oozing down the Caloosahatchie River to Cape Coral.  There's also a new type of alga killing sea life and grasses in Matlacha.

I moved to SWFL 3 and 1/4 years ago and couldn't go fishing for a total of 26 months.  IMO, the Hudson River near the Tappan Zee Bridge is cleaner than the Florida Gulf waters around Ft Myers.

👎

Yet, from many of our experiences, climate change is fake news.  I don't think so. 

13 minutes ago, neverbeenhere said:

We live some two hours from the Pacific and spend a month of most years on Maui, best part of the beach on a cruise is that most passengers go and we get the ship “to ourselves”. 😇

You do make a good point.  While we are beach lovers we are also cruise lovers and have spent many a port day just enjoying the ship.  If we do go ashore to a beach we often go on our own to beaches that are not frequented by any cruise excursion.  Consider that the island of St Maarten/St Martin has about 37 beaches but most cruisers congregate on only 2 (Orient and Maho).    Places like Happy Bay Beach and Le Galion are generally unknown to most cruisers.  In fact, we have never noticed anyone from a cruise ship on Happy Bay Beach (you can usually spot cruisers because of their towels).  Many cruisers have been to the famed island of Santorini but few cruisers have relaxed on Red Beach (on that same island).  So yes, staying on the ship is a good option but there are also options ashore that can get you away from the cruise crowds.

Hank

I think it is great if you are an hour from the beach on the east coast.  However, there is nothing like the beaches of Hawaii, and the great thing is that you don't have to deal all of the bad things getting there.  Two of my girls live in NJ with their husbands and families.  I can't stand all of the hassle of getting there and dealing with all of the traffic, congestion, delays, tolls and more, and that is before we even get to the shore.  Yes, once you are there, and can start to wind down after a few days.  But, when you are on a flight to Hawaii, people are in pretty good moods from my many experiences.  When you get off the plane in Hawaii the experience and mood is quite different than flying to the EC. 

2 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

I think it is great if you are an hour from the beach on the east coast.  However, there is nothing like the beaches of Hawaii, and the great thing is that you don't have to deal all of the bad things getting there.  Two of my girls live in NJ with their husbands and families.  I can't stand all of the hassle of getting there and dealing with all of the traffic, congestion, delays, tolls and more, and that is before we even get to the shore.  Yes, once you are there, and can start to wind down after a few days.  But, when you are on a flight to Hawaii, people are in pretty good moods from my many experiences.  When you get off the plane in Hawaii the experience and mood is quite different than flying to the EC. 

You can have a tasty beverage or three on the flight to Hawaii. Not so much on the Garden State. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

But, when you are on a flight to Hawaii, people are in pretty good moods from my many experiences.

Agreed.  In a way it's kind of like the flights to Vegas but more relaxed.  

1 hour ago, zekekelso said:

You can have a tasty beverage or three on the flight to Hawaii.

Nothing says a Hawaii flight more from where I live than a free Alaska Airlines Mai Tai.  They aren't really any good, but it does suggest you are on vacation - or at least for the majority of people on the plane anyways.

I wonder if Alaska is giving out Mai Tai's these days?  I was on a Horizon flight not too long ago and they gave their traditional free beer.

• Like 1

Back when I was "commuting" there for work, the return flights were sun burns, Hawaiian shirts, and boxes of pineapples.  I wonder if they still have the boxes of pineapples.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/27/2021 at 6:42 PM, dolittle said:

Island Beach State park N.J. is the best, great beach and nothing but beach .The bay is so peaceful and empty. 

I have many happy memories there with my grandparents in the 1960's!

I've lived in beachy places like Washington, California, Hawaii, Florida and Virginia. I've had my share of fun on the beach and in the ocean, snorkeling, sand castles, body surfing and dining on the pier. Going to a beach is no longer a requirement or even appreciated. I want land experiences, but still love the ocean. So, cruising on the water to a nice land experience works for me, even if the land experience is hearing the ocean from my hotel room.

7 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I've lived in beachy places like Washington, California, Hawaii, Florida and Virginia... Going to a beach is no longer a requirement

I have lived close to the beach for pretty my whole life.  I also hardly ever go to the beach but enjoy the weather and atmosphere of living close to the ocean.

7 hours ago, fyree39 said:

So, cruising on the water to a nice land experience works for me, even if the land experience is hearing the ocean from my hotel room.

I also like being on the water and sea days.  In some ways I treat this as a beach day minus the sand and sweat.

On 7/1/2021 at 8:45 AM, ldubs said:

the return flights were sun burns, Hawaiian shirts, and boxes of pineapples.

What about the chocolate covered macadamia nuts?  I must also confess to once having a small collection of free coffee mugs from Hilo Hattie.   

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

What’s there not to love about beaches

- sand in the crack of your butt

- chaffing between thighs

- sunburn

- crowding of tourists

But there must be something to it as we keep going back 😂 

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

I cannot think of one vacation or post retirement trip that we have taken that did not involve time beside the ocean and by the beach.  More often than not the majority of time was spent by the ocean or on a beach.     On six different continents.

In our late 60's and have a list of places if travel opens up.  Greece Islands and Cyprus in Sept.  Several weeks on the Mexican Pacific coast in Nov/Dec.   Winter on the beach in Southern Thailand.  Spring trip to Morocco including the Atlantic 

coast and the Algarve in Portugal.

Love the ocean, love the seaside and the beach.

Edited by iancal

3 hours ago, iancal said:

Love the ocean, love the seaside and the beach.

It is the sound of the ocean and the sight of the ocean that attracts me more than the beach itself.