Picture-A-Week 2021 - Week 27

pierces

Pictures taken between Monday, June 28 and Sunday, July 4.

The second half of 2021 is officially here. Use. Your. Camera.

Rules: See above

That's it. This isn't a contest.

All photos taken this week are welcome (not just cruising).

Prizes will not be awarded. Discovering the joy of photography is the prize.

The idea is to get folks out using their cameras for more than vacations and toddler birthdays.

Post one. Post many. Up to you.

Have fun with your camera and share your fun with others!

More Monday images. First 2 at Newport Lakes, others about 3km down the road on the Paisley/Challis Wetlands.

Black swan

Monday4.thumb.jpg.3ba4a6ea967c20c9cc6cbbc919fa8257.jpg

New Holland Honeyeater

Monday5.thumb.jpg.6bb5847ff013259a08b5bedd2628b959.jpg

Australian Pelicans

Monday1.thumb.jpg.6f28db094f126e781bb0016af5e1335f.jpg

2 Yellowbill and 2 Royal Spoonbills Feeding Monday2.thumb.jpg.362563d99c474724bde45aaa879a3e2b.jpg

Flock of royal spoonbills

Monday3.thumb.jpg.ff6ba730223398ad68f75a51407f32b6.jpg

• Like 5

On 6/29/2021 at 6:30 AM, Docker123 said:

More Monday images. First 2 at Newport Lakes, others about 3km down the road on the Paisley/Challis Wetlands.

New Holland Honeyeater

Monday5.thumb.jpg.6bb5847ff013259a08b5bedd2628b959.jpg

Now that's a pretty bird!

Since the Fourth of July fell on a Sunday this year and Monday was a holiday, we took advantage and set up a small overnight trip with friends to a local beach to watch a city-sponsored fireworks show. If you have been watching a lot of network news, you must know by now how horrible America is and how burning one of our flags out of guilt and anger is the only ethically allowable source of carbon emissions. Based on our experience, this is not the case. Even in crazy ol' Los Angeles, people of all races and creeds were flying flags, decorating windows and balconies and wearing clothes with patriotic themes. It was inspiring to see that despite the efforts of a bitter, disaffected few and their media mouthpieces, most Americans are still as proud to be American as we are.

Red, White and Blue

736487025_2021-27RedWhiteandBlue.thumb.jpg.ec9aad97a7db6c1084718629a5bb90a2.jpg

Dave

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

July 4th weekend finally saw me back at Disney World - for the first time since they closed for the pandemic and reopened with too many restrictions to make it fun.  I was there in the first week of March 2020, just before they closed - and now back on July 2nd - the longest period of time I've ever gone without a visit to a Disney park since 1971!

Here are a few of the shots from the trip, ranging from July 2 to July 4:

Pirates of the Caribbean ride:

original.jpg

Ring-tailed lemur at Animal Kingdom park:

original.jpg

A new addition to the Asia jungle trek aviary, and the first time I've seen one in person, a tawny frogmouth:

original.jpg

A hippo, demonstrating why that mouth can be such a danger to boaters, and the reason they're the deadliest animal in Africa!  Though in this case, it was just a yawn:

original.jpg

A neat surprise that night - I headed back to my villa at Saratoga Springs, which sits right across from the Disney Springs entertainment district...I wasn't able to get park reservations for Magic Kingdom that night for 4th of July fireworks, and figured I'd just not see any fireworks that night since my villa didn't face Magic Kingdom.  So I was rather surprised sitting on my couch having a drink to see this right outside my window:

original.jpg

And I mean RIGHT in line with my window - here, I pulled back wider to show I am shooting this firework display without leaving my living room couch - that's the sliding glass door I'm shooting through!  Apparently the Marriott World Center fireworks were just behind Disney Springs, and perfectly lined up with my villa:

original.jpg:

• Like 4