Seabourn website: TERRIBLE !

M&PGermany

Horrible, dreadful, tiring... are words that spring to my mind when I think about Seabourn's website. 

Terrible functions, hard to navigate through. 

If you would like to compare it to other cruise lines in the luxury segment, please do:

https://www.hl-cruises.de/  for Hapag-Lloyd Cruises

http://silversea.com. for Silversea

https://www.rssc.com for REGENT

All of them a universe away from Seabourn's idea of a user-friendly website.

Any comments?

• Like 1

Have to jump in here with our experience.  We booked our first Seabourn cruise for February, 2022 on the Quest.  When it came time to book our flights through FlightEase, I did, but after booking I lost access to everything connected to our booking.  Different browsers, devices, the app on my phone--didn't matter, got an error message.  This went on for over 3 weeks.  Calls to Seabourn gave me garbage about revising the verandas on Quest and no one with bookings on Quest was having access.  Hooey.

Since the problem started with FlightEase, I asked my TA go in and cancel my flights (since I wasn't able to get in to do it).  I immediately had access to my booking.  Seabourn did nothing to help except to say they would have their IT department look into it and to expect that to take several weeks. I had to solve the    problem myself.

This was not an experience that makes me want to give them my business when there are so many other good choices.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As is often said about more than one cruise line: don't let issues with the home office shape your opinion of a cruise line; the onboard experience is what really matters. Seabourn undoubtedly rates better for the latter than the former.  

Apparently Seabourn head office is unable to deliver a dependable, robust, and comprehensive website experience. Why don’t they cut their reputational risk and losses, call up another travel company, and see how they can help out. You know, outsource the kit n caboodle to an outfit that gets things done. Maybe do a survey of “must haves and nice to haves”, go to a trade show and/or consult a bunch of 12 year olds how this all works.

In the meantime put outta your minds what the implications could be about how this wanton sloppiness might effect your onboard experience in terms of getting onto the ship and what the ship delivers over the course of your cruise. After all, head office is supposed to add value, not upset everyone with its customer website. To say nothing about their (ahem) app.

I apologize for going on a bit. But it’s time to shake off all the angst from the time I’ve taken to get this site to do what I need it to do already. 

Happy and healthy sailing!

Edited by markham
  • Like 2

Seabourn's social media:

TERRIBLE! The same videos over and over again. Totally boring. They just started with a mini video about the restart. Who does their PR/marketing?

Silversea's social media: 

Not too much more exciting. But more interaction with people. Responding to questions. Quite a lot of videos on YT and excellent website.

Hapag Lloyd's social media:

GREAT! They're posting ALL the time. Interesting videos, photos, newsletters, blogs and vlogs. Immediate response from social media team if you have a question. Facebook, Twitter, YT... They're everywhere. Plus: Excellent website.

2 hours ago, M&PGermany said:

Seabourn's social media:

TERRIBLE! The same videos over and over again. Totally boring. They just started with a mini video about the restart. Who does their PR/marketing?

Silversea's social media: 

Not too much more exciting. But more interaction with people. Responding to questions. Quite a lot of videos on YT and excellent website.

Hapag Lloyd's social media:

GREAT! They're posting ALL the time. Interesting videos, photos, newsletters, blogs and vlogs. Immediate response from social media team if you have a question. Facebook, Twitter, YT... They're everywhere. Plus: Excellent website.

M&P:  I agree with you about the HL website and media presence, it is nice.  However, having a nice website does me no good right now as HL still will not allow me to travel with them even though I am vaxed, and come from a country currently with lower Covid infections and higher vax rates than they currently have .

Even though Germany opened up recreational travel to Americans June 21 (i.e., I can now travel into Germany and visit my friends), when I asked HL if they were going to lift the moratorium they have had on non-German, Austrian, and Swiss guests since September 2020, they said no.  Even though I am vaccinated, until October 2021 only residents of German-speaking countries may cruise with them (no vax requirement for pax or crew, BTW, just a test within 72 hours of boarding).  After October, "neighbors" of Germany can cruise with them (no vax requirement), so VIstaman from Belgium will be accomodated.  It is "unclear" when and if other nationalities beyond the EU will be allowed to cruise with them -- vaxed or not, Covid negative or not.  They said they could ask for an "exception" if I have a second home in Germany (!!!). Hopefully they will magnanimously allow me on board by May 2022, when I have an already fully paid Ocean Sun festival cruise booked with them, though their irrational policies are leaving a nasty taste with me.

30 minutes ago, Catlover54 said:

They said they could ask for an "exception" if I have a second home in Germany (!!!). Hopefully they will magnanimously allow me on board by May 2022, when I have an already fully paid Ocean Sun festival cruise booked with them, though their irrational policies are leaving a nasty taste with me.

Wow...  I don't think I would even consider this cruise line.  No vaccination requirement?  But, all these other restrictions based on where you live?  No thank you.  

Just chiming in to agree completely that the Seabourn website is terrible in the extreme.  I cannot think of another travel website (or actually pretty much ANY website) that is so consistently awful.  It makes no difference what browser or platform - they are all incredibly frustrating.  If you think about it Seabourn should be embarassed to offer such a mediocre online presence at this price point. 

• Like 2

Our cruise is on 7/10.   So far I have had not problem with the app or Web Site.   We have filled out everything except for the health questionnaire and that won’t be available until 7/10.    We are traveling with United/Lufthansa and had to upload copies of our passport.   United also allowed us to upload our vaccination certificate for a chance to win a year of flights.   Hope they keep them as some sort of record for us.

14 hours ago, SLSD said:

Wow...  I don't think I would even consider this cruise line.  No vaccination requirement?  But, all these other restrictions based on where you live?  No thank you.  

They have the most exquisite food and luxury service (4 cruises with them pre-Covid) and awesome classical music performances.  It's also too bad for them, because since I recently retired, I was getting ready to do 4 2-4 week cruises/year with them.

On 7/1/2021 at 11:33 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

Our cruise is on 7/10.   So far I have had not problem with the app or Web Site.  

It might be alright for some... but basically all other cruise lines have better websites regarding design, user-friendliness and content. Plus, Seabourn social media is almost non-existent.

After reading Mr L's post, in desperation I downloaded the SB Source app. Unfortunately I haven't had the same positive experience. I log in and am able to access a couple of areas within my account and then every single time afer about 45 seconds it's tellimg me I have to logout and back in again .
Needless to say I deleted it.

Not sure what will happen when I'm on board if it keeps doing that. Last cruises the access was fine but that was via a browser, not the app.

No problems with the Seabourn Shield app today.   Our boarding documents are not complete for our 7/10 cruise.   We have over 200 MBPS in download speed so maybe that’s the difference.  Our upload is under 8 MPBS.   We must be lucky as we have no issues with the Shield App or the Seabourn website.   

I have the newest technology (brand new Mac) but as soon as I log into my account I can do 1 or 2 more clicks and that was that. Website doesn't respond any more. Doesn't have anything to do with internet speed. The website is just crap.

8 minutes ago, M&PGermany said:

I have the newest technology (brand new Mac) but as soon as I log into my account I can do 1 or 2 more clicks and that was that. Website doesn't respond any more. Doesn't have anything to do with internet speed. The website is just crap.

Same! 

I was using a two week old iMac last night, was unable to check available cruises or access Club benefits page. And now it's down this morning. 

I went to Silversea to look at their offerings. Website worked well but they don't actually list the prices. They just display a vague 'prices from' and provide a webform to contact them. That's the situation with the SS UK site at least.

Wondering whether to download the app and try it again.

Edited by Isklaar

1 hour ago, Isklaar said:

I went to Silversea to look at their offerings. Website worked well but they don't actually list the prices. They just display a vague 'prices from' and provide a webform to contact them. That's the situation with the SS UK site at least.

Wondering whether to download the app and try it again.

When I first checked for their cruises (SS) I thought the same, but when you scroll further down or click on "suites and fares" the prices for the different categories are below the different suite types. That's for their German site. All in all I'm much more satisfied with the SS website than the Seabourn thing. 

Also, when you're booked the "My Silversea" section is very handy. I particularly like the cruise planner.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-08 um 13.10.28.png

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-08 um 13.11.25.png

It shows all the relevant times every day, includes restaurant reservations, excursions, spa... Very easy to use, too.

Edited by M&PGermany
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Mahogany said:

So many complaints about the Seabourn website - and so many from non-US based passengers. I have not had a problem. Could the problems arise from the UK/European website?

Part of the problem is the time difference, morning and early afternoon for me of course coincide with downtime hours for Seattle so a lot of planned maintenance takes place then.

I understand it has to happen but in the past there was a warning on the front page   to let the user know dates and times for that. So I knew in advance and would wait.

How it seems to work now is that there is no warning, the site loads but after a few clicks it just freezes. 

I have noticed that the site frequently works better for me when I'm using Chrome. But it's 2021 for goodness sake, the site should work well with Safari.

... also, it's not only about the site being very slow.

It's very basic when I talk about content (again, see Hapag-Lloyd for a comparison), it's not interactive, without any clear structure. It looks like a website from 20 years ago.