Marella and Scottish Ports

I am looking at an 8 night Cruise on Marella in July which has 3 Scottish ports on the itinerary. I am tempted to book, but wonder what would happen if the Scottish Government are still not allowing cruise ships to dock by then. I have no problem in Tui substituting other ports, or even cancelling, but is there a danger they would just make it an extra 3 days at sea, which would not be an acceptable solution for me. Any views?

Hi Jess

At her last briefing Nicola Sturgeon said she expects/hopes  the whole of Scotland will be in level 0 come the 19th July which under her criteria would allow cruise ships to dock in Scotland then

If not,every chance you,d end up with more sea days

We have the same concerns, although not travelling until August so a bit longer for "level 0" to occur.

Looking at  https://www.tui.co.uk/destinations/info/cruise-our-promise  there is a paragraph:

"When we’ll get in touch 
 If we need to make what we would consider to be significant changes to your holiday, we’ll get in touch with you directly to discuss alternative cruises, arrange a credit note or a cash refund.    
 For example, if you’ve booked an itinerary and we can no longer deliver it altogether, we’d consider that to be a significant change.  "

One would hope that the number of extra sea days would be a "significant change" and trigger cancellation/refund options. 

Which has an article about this: https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/advice/a-change-was-made-to-my-cruise-itinerary-can-i-get-a-refund-ad8077k7bL8J

I saw that the recent 3 day cruise had one extra sea day because it could not stop in Scotland - I could probably live with that but not 4 extra sea days on an 8 day cruise,

We are on Explorer 2, July 16th 8 nights from Newcastle - Tui emailed us today saying Scottish ports have been removed from the itinerary and replaced with Dover, Portland and Holyhead.

They have given every passenger £100 OBC as a sorry.

To be honest, it doesnt bother us one bit, no idea what to spend the £100 on though as we  upgraded our AI already haha

Booked the 3 night from Newcastle next Tuesday.  Never been with Marella. Any experts out there who can advise on what to pack. How dressy are the evenings?
Very excited to even set foot on a ship. 

How exciting first cruise, never been on a three nighter but would expect smart casual would be fine for evening but, unfortunately, cruising will have changed so other's may have different opinions. I have never not taken a tux in all our cruises on Marella, over fifty, but as I say we have never been less than a week, but even on a two weeker half of the passengers go just smart for an evening. Hope you have a great first experience. 🌞

Sorry I didn’t make myself clearer. First Marella cruise but number 68 on other lines. Actually we sailed on this ship when she was Celebrity Century. Thanks for your good wishes. Hope we may bump into each other. 

Probably my fault, we have only ever been on Thomson /Marella and found the experience fantastic I am certain you will find the onboard staff great not so the UK staff, it would be nice to think we would meet as we have made some great friends on our cruises, as obviously you have, but I fear we have been on our final cruise but we will see. ☹️

1 hour ago, sandancer said:

I am hoping that they use Sterling onboard. Can you confirm. Thanks

Yes but it's all on your ship card as you have experienced on other lines. You either swipe your credit card at the start of the cruise or leave cash with the receptionist. You can keep a check on everything with the onboard app. 

Hi Sandancer

we hope to see you on board! We are going to use our onboard credit to upgrade the drinks package I think it’s £10 per person per night but not 100% on that. OH is just taking smart pants n shirts for evening and I’m taking cocktail dresses. Not bothered about having to stay on the ship just looking forward to being back on board! See you there

10 hours ago, sandancer said:

Thanks. One other question. I understand it is £50 to upgrade the drinks package. Would that still apply on a 3 night cruise?

Sorry don't really know but I can tell you it's well worth it if it's still the same just for the coffee and water. I will try to sort out a bar menu and post.🍻🍸

8 minutes ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Sorry don't really know but I can tell you it's well worth it if it's still the same just for the coffee and water. I will try to sort out a bar menu and post.🍻🍸

Have a great time, that's prosecco gold on our balcony. 

DSC_0337.JPG

DSC_0276~2.JPG

DSC_0275~2.JPG

DSC_0268.JPG

1 hour ago, Jayneykul said:

Hi Sandancer

we hope to see you on board! We are going to use our onboard credit to upgrade the drinks package I think it’s £10 per person per night but not 100% on that. OH is just taking smart pants n shirts for evening and I’m taking cocktail dresses. Not bothered about having to stay on the ship just looking forward to being back on board! See you there

Just checked with TA. £15 pp per day. 
We don’t have any OBC as I only booked yesterday. We’ll just pay as we go if we want anything on the Premium list. We are actually sitting looking at the ship right now. Excited or what!!

I’ve tried to upload a profile picture so you know who we are but it’s uploading it sideways! We sailed on this ship when it was celebrity century to Alaska we loved it then and loved it in 2019 when we sailed on it as explorer 2 really excited now looking forward to meeting you. Thank you pensioncruiser for all your information you are always so helpful! 

Love those cabins but not expecting to get one as we booked last minute. Our TA can’t get through to Marella so no useful info at all. Any Dress to Impress night mentioned. Don’t want to bring formal clothes if they are not going to be worn. Thanks

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, sandancer said:

Love those cabins but not expecting to get one as we booked last minute. Our TA can’t get through to Marella so no useful info at all. Any Dress to Impress night mentioned. Don’t want to bring formal clothes if they are not going to be worn. Thanks

I am lead to believe there isnt one on the short cruises. Shame, as my dicky bow has not seen the light of day for ages now. 

Edited by davemorton