Marella and Scottish Ports

Hi Dave I have checked on my cruise control dashboard umpteen times; completed the COVID survey downloaded the boarding pass and luggage labels but there is nothing there about a boarding time or parking info? I’m stumped 🧐😬

I’ve checked numerous times and I can only get the message “Cabin allocation has not yet finished, please try again later.”  I have only been told by my TA that boarding is at 15.00. Hoping for some info in the morning. I would like to board before that but hey ho. Will we have a COVID test before boarding. If so, that a 30 min wait for the results.  Not happy. 

25 minutes ago, sandancer said:

I’ve checked numerous times and I can only get the message “Cabin allocation has not yet finished, please try again later.”  I have only been told by my TA that boarding is at 15.00. Hoping for some info in the morning. I would like to board before that but hey ho. Will we have a COVID test before boarding. If so, that a 30 min wait for the results.  Not happy. 

From what I have read, people who were meant to turn up at 3 turned up early, and were turned away.  But when they returned, 4pm check in guests were let in before them.  It was taking about 60-80 mins to get through everything, but that was the first one, so hopefully it will fun smoother this time. 

Edited by davemorton

Not my post, so credit must go to Joanne Monk.  Just to give people an idea of what to expect tomorrow. 

The road entrance was manned and they ask your port arrival time. If you are early, you are sent away so be prepared to sit nearby. Once your time comes, you are directed into a separate Marellla car/ compound. If parking, you park up, if on foot you walk in. Your name/reference is checked off a list on entry. Luggage area, they ask if you want to leave or keep luggage. You get a covid questionnaire. Into testing, it's a longish process depending on how many in your batch/ time slot but totally understandable given the situation . You show 4 things. Vaccine proof, passport, insurance and hand in completed covid questionnaire. You are allocated a number and colour sticker and sent for test. Once all results are available, your 'group' are directed to a bus and shuttled to the check in area. This is not the terminal building but close by. Our whole process from 1hr 20 to board but I know some took over 2 hrs.I would say don't feel you have to rush to be on your exact PAT, if it's 1pm, you can arrive at port road at 1.15 and not feel you have missed out on being on time as you will be queuing together anyway if that makes sense. 

27 minutes ago, skioncruises said:

Question on behalf of neighbour who doesn't do CC and is setting off to Newcastle in the morning to join ship for 3 nights.

Are the shops open and, in particular, the jewellery shop.

Thank you.

I believe they are, but I would not think they will be cheap as an extra 20% will be added to prices with it being a UK cruise. (My understanding anyway).

1 minute ago, davemorton said:

I believe they are, but I would not think they will be cheap as an extra 20% will be added to prices with it being a UK cruise. (My understanding anyway).

Hello davemorton

Many thanks for that info.  Will pass it on.  She is already planning how to spend her OBC (£100 per person means she has £200).  She decided to upgrade drinks when booking as she didn't like a particular drink last time she cruised with Marella. 

We'd come unstuck with OBC as hubby is a beer drinker and I don't drink either alcohol or coffees and water from the dispensers in the corridors suits me fine.  My "luxury" is canned drinks which gets the waiters in a tizz because there is a £1 surcharge which I am happy to pay.  Hubby has a double Drambuie (1 is mine) every night which is on the normal drinks menu at no extra charge.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sandancer said:

That is actually the only evidence that we are actually on this cruise other than the confirmation from our travel agent. We will turn up at 3pm and hope for the best. 

Thats shocking.  I presume you didn't get anywhere today with them?  

Nope. Our travel agent told us to ignore the boarding time and go earlier as we have no documentation but I’m leery of doing that. This is our first Marella cruise and I just hope things will improve otherwise it might be our last. 

3 hours ago, TraceyT7717 said:

Me and hubby are on this cruise tomorrow. Has anybody been able to book car parking? We haven’t been able to on the site so hoping that we can just turn up at our allocated time and pay for parking then 

Taken from another site...When arriving they just asked if pre paid or not. They have  mobile card machine. The car park is the same for everyone whether pre booked or not. It's a separate compound just for the marella cruises. £12 per day.

I believe you can also pay to part at the premier inn that is a couple of mins walk away, and believe it is a lot cheaper. 

We are so tempted to make a late booking for one of the Marella UK sailings from either port. With time so stretched at the moment I am having doubts about whether I could take a late change to conditions, which are both likely and understandable.

After navigating through boarding arrangements, insurance and vacination evidence all seems good now, it's just the capacity to monitor changes and react to any show-stoppers.

Hopefully this thread will keep me updated and I welcome any advice and suggestions.

Those who are sailing this Friday I gather are heading down from Newcastle rather than up North to Scotland, I am sure things will change after 19 July on that one.

We are waiting to disembark and just thought I’d update you on the Covid measures onboard. Ship was 50% occupancy. Masks to be worn everywhere except the cabin and open decks. Anyone exempt from mask wearing not allowed to board. Restaurants and theatre socially distanced and one way systems in operation. Daily temp checks. That was compulsory. We felt very safe.